1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bigger hd question (please help)

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by patdeman, Mar 15, 2007.

1. patdeman

patdeman Member

i know this is a stupid question but can you copy the files off the original xbox hd (softmodded) to a bigger hd then install that one?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Yes, you can back up the drive via FTP to your PC. The instructions i was given were to do it from scratch which means losing the stuff on the old drive. But i am sure when you build it you could use the info from the old drive. Or just use the hotswap method.

here is what i was told.
    "If you have the box softmodded, you shouldn't have to hotswap. Use evox to make a backup of the eeprom and drop it into the eeprom folder of xboxhdm, then use xboxhdm to build the larger hard drive, then reboot and load linux locking/unlocking tools and lock it. Put it in the xbox and re-softmod it. Then you can load up stuff with
    your auto-installer.

Linux locking/unlocking tools is part of xboxhdm. When you first boot it, you get a menu, one of which is Linux with locking/unlocking tools. Once you make that selection, it will go through a booting process and you'll end up at a command prompt. At the promp, just type "lockhd -a" without the quotes and hit enter. It should scan the disk for the eeprom.bin file that you put in the eeprom folder before you make the xboxhdm iso. When it finds it, it will lock the hard drive with that eeprom making it to where you can use it in that xbox."