1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest Hard drive?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by dcxbadass, Dec 29, 2008.

1. dcxbadass

dcxbadass Member

Hi basically I have a soft modded Xbox with a 200gb HDD that I've filled. I want to upgrade it but don't want to go to a similar size, so basically can I buy a 750GB SATA HDD and use a SATA to IDE converter with it? I've read that it's possible but would like confirmation. (SATA is much cheaper than IDE)

I was looking at this drive:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139739
    or maybe this 500GB http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146252

First of all will they work ok in my xbox? Also how do the partitions work? As I understood you could only have an F and a G at 127GB each? So how do I use the rest of the space/

2. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

for hdd compatibility look here
    http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

i once (long ago...) had a 200 gig harddrive in my xbox. i only had 1 partition, F, (besides the standard partitions, c,e etc.) for the whole disk (Around 180 gig in partition F if i remember correctly). i used the hdm program to build the harddrive, and no further activation (unleash etc.) was needed. i just popped it into my xbox. so you shouldn't have any problem putting everything in either the f or f and g partition.

i haven't used a sata drive with converter, but it should work fine. why shouldn't it. the only problem might be the position of the ide to sata connector onto your ide cable. you might have to fiddle around a little bit if they do not line up correctly.

3. sergiovv

sergiovv Regular member

yes it will work you can use up to 2tb (2000 gb) , to use all the space do it the same way you did with the 200 (formating G) g will use all of the rest of the harddrive.

4. C4RN1

C4RN1 Regular member

Whoa there people he said he's softmodded. You can't just go throwing a 2 tb drive into a softmodded xbox. You have to format any partition over 137gb with 32k clusters. This is, has, and always will be the most important rule for upgrading original xbox hard drives.

Also with the Ide to sata converter you will have to cut some space to make room for the converter board. It's a pretty big thing to add when you have very little space in the xbox. I would personally run the sata converter behind the dvd drive then an sata cable from the converter to the hdd. I haven't tried this but i really don't know why it wouldn't work, besides the fact that it's the wrong end and you can't connect a male cable to a male cable end...no gay joke intended....

Most ide to sata hard drive adapators look like this.

[​IMG]

They fit flush to the bottom of the drive and are the same width, but they extrude from the top maybe a 1/4 of an inch. If you don't want to cut i found the perfect solution.

[​IMG]

All you have to do is plug in the ide to this converter and then plug the sata cable into the drive. Then use the molex to sata power adaptor and you're set.

It looks like this

[​IMG]

Remember to find a drive listed on the compatiblity chart or make sure the drive has security features. You need to be able to lock your hard drive so the stock bios won't throw an error 5.

*edit*
    I should also mention that not many people attempt this with a softmodded xbox. I'm sure you can get it to work if you do it correctly but most people go with a hardmodded xbox. I've only put ide drives in xbox's up to 500 gigs so good luck, you'll need it.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  5. sergiovv

sergiovv Regular member

i got i 500 gb hard drive in soft modded xbox working excellent in all apps ....and a friend got a 1 tb hard drive oon his softmodded xbox .....so why a 2 tb hdd wouldnt work in a softmodded xbox.???

6. gameking1

gameking1 Member

I Have a 1 tb Hdd on two Xbox's and they are both softmoded. Works great i have the normal E and C drive plus a Q for XBMC all around 4.5 gb and one F partion with 945 gb using a 64 cluster size. all i used was XboxHDM with nudure and configmagic to dump eeprom.

having a 2 tb hd would work fine you would have two partions at 64 cluster size and the rest at 16 or 32.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  7. sergiovv

sergiovv Regular member

i do softmods but i have never put attention to clusters,dumping an eeprom, using configmagic,.....what are all this for..?? and how do you use clusters and why.??

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You can get 750gb & 1 tet in IDE,tho they're allot more expensive than SATA counter parts,why that is, is anyones guess especially after all this time of part prices & where they're made,the best bet for large IDE is getting a parallel imported one,as they're far cheaper than getting from the local supplier who gets it from the local wholesaler,the only issue there is if the drive fails inside warranty period there's a waiting time,i'm dubious about using adaptors as your adding another bit of electrical equipment that may go fizzle & shizzle & now ya hdd is fried..lol.. yeah anyway just lett'n ya know there are larger ide hdd's available

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  9. maxikaz

maxikaz Member

i have 1TB disc installed on my xbox, soft modded, and haven't any problems

10. varnull

varnull Guest

yet..... it's long been accepted that due to limitations in the xbox file system that anything over 350 gigs is playing with fire... or corrupted data or whatever... by all means carry on, but don't come crying when you have a drive locked to a box with a corrupt eeprom or some other such stupidity... because that happens more often than I care to think about.

11. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

12. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Looks like the converter that is pictured in a previous post,tho remember it protrudes above the hdd by 1/4" so cutting maybe necessary tho i can't be sure as i've never fitted SATA in my xboxes,the other converter he showed looks good as it's possible to get 90 degree cabling,including power cabling,that said i can vouch the adaptor you show or one like it does work as the guy that installs my modchips says he's fitted them on his own xboxes

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  13. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Thanks SCORP! I'm going shoppin'! =)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  14. dcxbadass

dcxbadass Member

Ok, not done my 750GB yet, but put a 500GB sata Western Digital WD5000AAKs perfectly fine in my dads, just used XboxHDM to set it up as a retail drive, put it in the xbox softmodded it with splinter cell and Cid 5.01, then in unleash X formatted G and it worked fine
    F is about 137GB
    G is about 350GB

We've filled 40Gb of F and about 200GB of G so far with no problems at all.

We used this:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12537
    It's only $5.29 with world wide free delivery I bought it because a review said it works in their xbox, but I can confirm it works great with ours aswell!

[​IMG]

15. dcxbadass

dcxbadass Member

I can't find an edit button, but I just want to add the adaptor fits perfectly in the case with no modifications to it.

16. justin06

justin06 Member

How do you get it to see that, I used xboxhdm 1.9?

17. tommyd13

tommyd13 Regular member

Been awhile! I have the 1TB HDD here and an adapter. I thought I had a link on how to put this in my softmodded XBOX, but I'm coming up short. Can someone link me to a good TUT?
    I currently have the XBOX modded with standard HDD, and that is where I stand.
    Thanks for any help!