1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest Mistake Ever - Returned Copied Movie to Blockbuster

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by ckurt25, Apr 25, 2006.

1. dabig25

dabig25 Regular member

would of been nice if you at least returned a printable dvd ?

2. Godzilla

Godzilla Member

i think netflix does log the amount of dvds you get and send back.

I used to get 3 a month, and i used to return them the next day. Then, after a few weeks of this, the movies took longer to come in than before. I "think" they automaticly create a maximum number of dvds sent to you.

I just recently switched to 1 a month, and i get them back much faster than i did before.

3. rosedog

rosedog Regular member

Yes they do have a program in place for that very reason. It was in the Seattle Times

4. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Afriend of mine received a burned DVD from Netflix in the mail, so maybe they don't check them out too well and will not know it was you. You can always say that was the way you got it.

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@arniebear
    That is too funny! I can't believe Netflix did that. They must not pay attention to the discs themselves but to how many rentals you get in a month.

6. Godzilla

Godzilla Member

crazy netflix, i got a movie which was cracked in half, which was probably done in the mail. But netflix didnt care, hooray.

7. sguarino

sguarino Member

Why not say that you liked the movie so much that you bought a copy and backed it and made a mistake in the return.

8. arniebear

arniebear Active member

@Godzilla

I have gotten several that were cracked in half, and others that had watermarks in them and would not play. I really don't think they check what is in the envelope when returned they just run the barcode through a scanner and then reshelf and send it out, unless somone complains they have no clue, just my opinion :)

9. jeray

jeray Regular member

i'm with the netflix crowd.i've gotten several cracked disc or they was scratched so bad i couldn't make a backup.i agree i got the 5 at a time deal,i mainly get older movies.at the beginning i was getting them fast but have slowed way down.oh well i have a few more on my list then i might cancel, its hard to get the new ones unless it times out right.

10. 68b_body

68b_body Guest

mabey the FBI is going to be nice and hand deliver it for blockbuster to your house [​IMG]

11. Godzilla

Godzilla Member

Yeah, i to have got DVDs that were in bad shape, and i wouldnt be able to copy, but they played in a dvd player. But, i have only recieved one cracked one.

12. jeray

jeray Regular member

this may sound crazy but if you think about it, copying helps out these online rental places.they really don't lose money and it boost there sales.same for regular video stores to.just a thought.

13. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

My understanding is that it costs like 85ยข per movie to ship it both ways, including the envelope, people who "Copy" their movies tend to turn around lots of movies per week, hence if they turn 6 movies a week, that will equal about $21.00 per month in shipping alone, they lose money for you heavy users... Just an FYI

14. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

haha im glad to hear everythings alright. ckurt..thats the funniest sh!t ive heard in a while.

=pepsimaxx=

15. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

ckurt25- Phew ! that was a close one Buddy! The slowdown in getting your netflixx rentals does happen to heavy users ( people like us ) ! if your rent and return your disc too quickly you will soon notice that your movies start taking longer to arrive & you may see delays in getting your 1st choice on recent releases ! This is called Throttling and I believe I saw somewhere that There was a Class action lawsuit against NETFLIXX for doing this ! Might have been on Yahoo awhile back ! I also think I saw something about Netflixx suing Blockbuster for Stealing their IDEA !! Online rentals ! Can't stand a little friendly competition Netflixx ? Also on the Fair use Rule - I'n not a Entertainment Lawyer or anything but My understanding is that Yes you are allowed to make Back up copies of your Media Videotapes , CD's Cassettes ect. But Under the DMCA Digital Millenium Copyrights Act it says " You are allowed to make backups of your media However if it is encrypted ( Macrovision - or any of the other various Types of encryption ! and nearly all DVD's are And you decrypt it to copy /backup your DVD then under the DMCA ruling you have Broken the law atleast technically ! Will the MPAA /RIAA / CIA / DEA / FBI & or their black suited M-4 & Hk MP -5 toting Ninjas show up at your door & Blow your house down ? Not likely unless your Flagrant about it & are Distributing /selling them in quantity ! Like I said I'm not a lawyer or anything but that's my understanding of it ! Well Better luck & pay a little better attention next time okay ! Happy Renting LOL!!!

Last edited: May 22, 2006
  16. Trom

Trom Regular member

In cases like this if they do persue it you do what any good Lawyer worth his salt would do, you "Blame it on a VIRUS".

17. teflonmyk

teflonmyk Regular member

18. chastiza

chastiza Member

Ya konw the easy way out it to buy a copy, legit of course. If they knock on your door, it's a legal copy because you already own it. As for the other 100 you have around the house.... SOL I think......

19. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

If caught, get a sex change before you get sentenced to Jail/prison, that way you'll be stuck with a bunch of amorous women, better than a pound full of horney dawgs...

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

'someone pass the soap please' :p