1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.BIN / .CUE / .ISO Frequently asked questions. READ1ST

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by cd-rw.org, Sep 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

No prob rbarlow, only joking... if all people were big experts, this forum would be almost empty

And remember to read the general guides (bold threads) in the main page!!!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2003
  2. rbarlow

rbarlow Guest

Hi again, been messing around with the cue/bin files since I read your message. Now, I can write a .cue for the bin files, but cant seem to mount these as images on a virtual drive. Get the message "cue sheet line 1 - file not acessible". I can only write .cue as well I dont know how to modify pre-existing ones. Im soory to bore you with this, cos I know it's very basic, but any help would be greatly appreciated, I just cant seem to get my head round it. Please could someone go through it in such a way that a two year old would understand. Thanks in advance.

3. InCanada

InCanada Member

Thanks Aldaco12. Will try it out. Still limited to using CD-R as I have a spindle stack and only a single old 2Xspd CD-RW. (Unemployment. Lot's of time to do all those things you can't afford to.)

rbarlow : Your first problem would be to know a bit more about your software for editting the .cue files. Not being critical, just starting from the beginning. ;-)
    In windows you have 2 options.
    Option #1 => Select the .cue file by clicking on it only once.(Assuming you are using the default 2 click settings in Windows)You then right click while holding down the right side <shift> key. In the window of options that opens you should have "Open With" included. If you select that option you will get another window with all available programs for opening/executing the file. Scroll through the list to "Notepad" and use that. This should allow you to open just about any file type. Just remember to use the "Save As" when done to save using the *.* option which allows you to save as .cue file.
    Option #2 => Open "Notepad" by your regular means. Then click on "File", then "Open". In the Window that opens go to the bottom where it has "*.txt" and change it to "*.*" (for all files). Pick the right directory for where your .Cue files are and open them. Again, remember to save them as .cue file and not as .txt files when done.
    The first page in this thread explains all about the composition of the .cue files.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the .cue files should be considered more of an instructional file for burning the .bin file. It sets parameters for the burning process. Usually a virtual image of a CD would be a virtual burn. Therefore the image would be the entire CD represented as a whole on your hard-drive(HD). This wouldn't require the burning directions anymore because it is the `burn'. The .cue file isn't required.
    As far as a "file not acessible", check that the listing in the .cue file is the correct path to the .bin file.(Again, this is outlined in detail previously in this thread. Check it out.)
    Hope this is some help to you. Now I have to go and try out what I was advised to try.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

rbarlow, "cue sheet line 1 - file not acessible" means that you wrote a bad image file name in the 1st row of the .CUE file.
    Suppose the image (the LARGE) file is named Droid3.BIN . You have to write a file like this

FILE "Droid3.BIN" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
    INDEX 01 00:00:00

and save it with a name of your choice, for example "test.CUE".
    Note:
    FILE... is line 1
    TRACK 01 ... is line 2
    INDEX 01 .. is line 3

So I assume you put something wrong on the FILE... row. Either the file name is spelled wrong or the .CUE file is NOT in the same directory of, say, Driod3.BIN.

About opening files, can you use Word? It is the same. Just open a file, modify it, and save it. Notepad works in the same way.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2003
  5. rbarlow

rbarlow Guest

thanks very much adalco12 and incanada, i've twigged it! Keep up the good work!

6. docskell

docskell Member

I think that I tried but the message"not enough room" appears.
    i have had this problem before i.e the backup(700mb) disc is not big enough but then i D/L a same sized bin and cue (for my own legitimately bought program) and all went swimingly. if the ISO is too big for a legit backup disc, then why is so difficult to do

7. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I think you tried 'Burn CD-ROM'. If you try 'Burn Image' the file 'shrinks' and 747 MB fit into a 74 min (650 MB) disc, and 808 MB fit into a 80 min (700 MB) disc.

Be careful, there are two kind of .ISO images: ISO 9660 images, either MODE1/2048 (rare) or MODE1/2352 that give you no problems, and Easy CD Creator's .ISO Files that ARE NOT 'ISO' standard (I mean International Standard Organization = ISO) and that can be burned by EZCD only!

8. Xbullet

Xbullet Member

Hi there all of you guys! First of all i wanna thank you guys for all the work you do here in this site. Second...I have a question that will appear talking about another problem but about this discussion: I got 2 .bin images(including 2 .cue)and i tried them using alcohol 120% , well...everything seemed fine untill when i installed the game , i came across several message boxes like:"cannot write file to destination make sure there is enough space or file maybe in use"-knowing that i have 2GB free space & the files were not used by any program except for Alcohol 120% virtual drive. Does that mean that the file(s) is corrupted-also knowing that i took them as a copy from working ones-and if they are corrupted is there anyway to repair them? I know my questions became a lot but i'm putting faith on you guys...Thank you very much.

9. docskell

docskell Member

Thanks for the help. It works ok if I load onto a virtual drive, but will not allow a burn to disc. From other threads it seems that this patricular piece of software is protected an thus the trouble. Regards

10. dtioannya

dtioannya Guest

i keep on getting NERO error msg while burning a music CD using cue "a error occur while loading a cue sheet (line 3 )"can anyone please tell me how the directory line should be written if i have a file located like this.
    c:\mp3\pvd\paul van dyk
    thanks

11. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

docskell, you always CAN burn an image . If you do that badly (read the thread to learn about proper settings), it might not work but this is another issue. Maybe you have it still mounted? Try unmounting it first.

Xbullet, the image is not necessarily broken (and if it's Safedisc or Laserlock protected, it will seem broken even if it isn't, so repairing it is useless). Do this instead:
    1) Scan the image with ClonyXXL.
    2) Write down the protection scheme.
    3) Use the proper backup settings (see main thread).
    4)Before burning the image, you might want to mount the image on Alcohol 120% and install the game from the virtual drive, being careful to set the emulation of the proper protection scheme, if needed. This in order to test the image integrity.

dtioannya, the .CUE file is wrong. Read a few posts above this to learn how to correct it. The full path "C:\... whatever...\filename.ext" must be put between the " " signs.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2003
  12. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Dtioannya, please note that 'error in line 3)' seems to warn about an error in the INDEX flag, not in the FILE path. Check all .CUE file.

13. Xbullet

Xbullet Member

Thanks for your help Aldaco ,but i want to make the problem clear. Look , I openned the .bin file with isobuster & tried to extract any of the files that come with the error message i mentioned before, and i found that isobuster gives me several error messages when extracting the file like:"sector ##### is unreadable" & gives me a choice from:ignore or abort or ignore all. I hope that makes the problem quite clear for you. Again thank you guys for this great site.

14. Sombre

Sombre Member

Hi, I'm currently installing Mafia, CD 1 2 and 3. The BIN files are too big to fit on one cd, (yes I read the part about by the sectors but not sure I understand it) so I converted the BIN's to ISOs. Now when I use nero to burn the image to disc it seems to work fine. I put the cd in my cd-rom drive and the cd reads "Mafia_CD_1" without any icon or anything. I open it, it has no autorun or anything I can open. All files just open up to a black window for a couple of secs, or files such as readme's are blank. If this is simply a problem with the file I downloaded sorry for bothering, but if I'm doing something wrong please tell me what it is. Same thing goes for cd_2.

15. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Xbullet, the answer is the same as before (good methods are always good).
    Actually, unreadable sectors may happen if the image is corrupt (rare) or if the image is Safedisc/Laserlock protected (this seldom occurs).
    In this case, you cannot extract stuff with Iosbuster, it would not work anyway since it would spoil the protection scheme.

I'm quite confident that burning the imame with 'Safedisc' option enabled will work. But mount it and scan it with ClonyXXL first! (or, if you're lazy, post the game name here, someone might help you).

Sombre, you made it all wrong. NEVER convert images! And if they are less than 808 MB they WILL fit on a 80 min CD. Nero will NOT cheat the protection and you'll end up burning coasters.
    Read the 'Backup protect CD' sticky thread on the main page. This was written just for people like you.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23699

16. Sombre

Sombre Member

K thanks. Sorry I'm new at this.

17. Sombre

Sombre Member

Oh and uh, what's a coaster exactly? What program should I use to "cheat" the protection program.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2003
  18. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

A coaster is a burned CD that does not work. As for the software, look at that thread I suggested...
    After you've mage your choice all links for the software are in that thread or in the README1ST thread

19. Sombre

Sombre Member

About, Alcohol 120%, I can't nurn the cue with it. It says it's an unsupported fromat and tells me to insert another image file. I read the read me's but I still don't undertstand, must I burn the cues or can I just burn the bins?

20. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.