1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.BIN / .CUE / .ISO Frequently asked questions. READ1ST

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by cd-rw.org, Sep 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xbullet

Xbullet Member

I'm so sorry Aldaco...I should have tried clonyxxl, but i was so frustrated & depressed because i took a long time to get these images and i thought they would be corrupted. Anyway Thank you very much, for i scanned the image & found it was really protected, but i have a little question please if you don't mind: Could i remove the protection without burning the images on CD's e.g.(virtual drives)? If yes or not How could i remove the protection scheme knowing that it says safedisc ver 2.7? Thank you very much for your great help.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2003
  2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

I really don't know, in general everything is possible when you deal with digital 0s and 1s but this is only true in theory.

Modifing an image is stuff for really expert people, and modifying an image of a protected CD is an even bigger effort.

I know that (for some PSX games, for instance) some 'patches' exist (do not ask how to get them here, anyway!). They, once applied to a protected image, remove the protection part. But from what I've seen in the Web, this does not apply to PC-game images, which are, more severely protected.
    Probably, one reason for this to happen lies in the fact that the installation setup of such CDs checks the integrity of all files that are installed, thus aborting the installation if some file has been modified. Moreover, the protection check is often encrypted in the installation setup, so removing it would be extremely hard.

All PC patches I have seen are applied AFTER a successful installation and remove stuff like, for instance, key checks (request of additional input codes from, say, the user manual) or CD-check (request of original CD).

But I'm not really an expert in this (and this forum is not a place where such hackers would been allowed to post, anyway...)

3. Xbullet

Xbullet Member

Excuse me Aldaco, i don't mean to talk about hacking, i took this image from a friend who has the game (by the way the game is: Age of Mythology), but my friend isn't expert too, so he didn't know about protection on it , and all i'm asking is: Is there a way to burn this image on CD's after knowing that i scanned it with Clonyxxl & found that the protection scheme was: safedisc v 2.7 & not v 2 ? i tried with Alcohol v 1.3.5 but it read errors while burning, is there a way? please tell me. and thanks for help.

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

'Safedisc2' means Safedisc version 2.x.
    It is expected that you have read errors, because SD protects the CD by adding unreadable sectors. Alcohol Datatype 'Safedisc2' enables a proper 'fast error skip' that allows you to dump the image faster.

Read 'How to backup protect CD data' main thread (and the pages that thread points at) for more details...

5. Xbullet

Xbullet Member

Actually i read the thread you mentioned & understood what you said, but-excuse me for being a newbie- it doesn't talk about burning an image that is protected with safedisc 2, i mean i tried that option in Alcohol 120% and in the emulation options too& i tried to burn it on MSI 50/40/50 but it was the same. i don't know why...i know i'm too much on you but please forgive me for being a newbie :)

6. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Backup a CD is a two-step process:
    1) dump an image (from original CD to HD)
    2) burn the image (to an empty CD-R)

In Alcohol you have two wizards: 'Image making Wizard' and 'Image burning Wizard'.
    Using Alcohol is simple, because all settings are put by choosing the 'datatype'. So if you kniow that the disc is SD 2.x protected you have to run the first wizard to create an image (using datatype Safedisc 2.x) and THEN run the 2nd wizard to burn that image (using again datatype: Safedisc 2). read Alcohol help for more details, it's so simple...

Emulation is not needed, if you manage to burn a 'perfect backup', so leave it alone, so far.

7. Sombre

Sombre Member

OK, now I got some new ISOs. I keep burning them at 4x with alcohol. Everytime I finish I open the CD put it in my CD-Rom drive. THe title is labeled without auto-run and with no icon for the CD and as before all the files open as black windows then close. I am not trying to burn mafia anymore but a different game. What am I doing wrong? Am I burning "coasters"? Should I just keep burning until it works? I tried it on a different CD-RW drive and still at 4x it didn't work. Do I need to mount an image or something, and if I do what does that do and how do I do it? I'll try downloading the program you guys mentoned and se what protection scheme it has.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2003
  8. docskell

docskell Member

I have an ISO image of spearhead which I also own. I am able to mount it(the ISO) on alcohol, but when I attempt to burn it onto a backup(princo 650MB or Octron 700MB), I keep getting an error message saying either "incompatable format" or "unable to load image". Blindwrite also fails to burn with similar message "unit will not give exclusive rights".The image was made with alcohol.
    I have just bought a sony dru500A. Is this burner the problem? I also have a best burner which seemed to do ok previously but I have not tried with spearhead (it's now on a different machine).
    P.S. Similar messages trying battlefield

9. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Sombre, mount the image in order to scan it for detecting the protection scheme, if any. THEN decide which software suits to you. Unmount the image and burn it.
    Did you read the guide here?
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23699

Docskell, did you left the image mounted? If so, unmount it.
    BTW, MOH Spearhead: Safedisc v. 2.80. Battlefield 1942: Safedisc 2.60 or 2.80 depending if version 1.0 or 1.1.

Alcohol 120% with Datatype=Safedisc2 is the definite choice. Did you read the guide here?
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/23699

10. docskell

docskell Member

Yes. I have had previous success. I was wondering whether there waany known problems with the sony burner. I'm using firmware ver.2.
    I might try the other writer, otherwise i suppose it may be a corrupt image.

11. Sombre

Sombre Member

Allright, used ClonyXXL and found out that safedisk 2.7 is the protection scheme. Which programs can override this? (I have Nero and Alcohol 120 now)

12. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

13. Sombre

Sombre Member

I have tried using safedisk 2 in alcohol for burning, but somehow I still get the same problem. Someone was talking about using "profiles" for clonyxxl when burning. I thought that ClonyXXL did nothing but tell you the file type, but am I wrong? Anyways I'm all out of CD's (except for a 650 megabyte CD-RW which is insuffient for the 795 megabyte bin file I have to burn) so I give up. THanks for your time anyways...

14. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

'Profiles' apply to CloneCD (elby's software) NOT to ClonyXXL...

The only known reasons for Datatype=Safedisc2 not working are:

- Your burner is not capable to burn RAW DAO. You should 'customize' Safedisc2 profile in alcohol setup by changing RAW DAO to RAW SAO
    - Your burner already corrects EFM error so 'Bypass EFM errors' is not needed (and spoils the CD). You should 'customize' Safedisc2 profile in alcohol setup un-checking the defalut setting in 'Bypass EFM errors' checkbox
    - There is ATIP protection: the software detects you're using a CD-R rather than the original CD. Keep Alcohol running on the system tray with 'emulation' --> Ignore Media Type switched on
    - The image is BAD.

Sorry for the CD expenses, next time you might ust try with a single 700 MB-80 min (808 MB of image burning) CD-RW...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2003
  15. TVH

TVH Member

Hi!
    I have a problem every time I try to burn an image with nero, fireburner and alcohol. the disc is otherwise fine but there's always one file that doesn't work. Just one. probably the last file burnt to the disc, but I'm not sure. If I then try to extract the file with IsoBuster, I get a working file! I've checked the CUE sheets and there's nothing wrong with them. I've tried almost everything with no luck. If I extract the image to hdd and then burn it, it works but not If I burn the image. This is really driving me insane...

16. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Can you check with isobuster the starting LBA (logical block address) of the file and its size (in blocks)? This way you know if it's the last that was burned.
    If it's the last file maybe there is something wrong with the burner (but this should happen on last track of large audio CDs, for instance).

(Note: if you extract on HD this is no more true because files from HD are not burned accordingly to the LBA occupied in the original image but, for instance, on their date)

17. TVH

TVH Member

I checked it with isobuster, the 'broken' file is always the last file written to the disk. the error message windows gives is "cannot copy, paramter is incorrect" so I think it's releated to TOC/something else rather than the file itself. Also, I borrowed another cd-rw drive to test if it really is my drive or not, and the same problem happened with this another drive...

18. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

What happens if you 'Scan for corruption' using CDMage?

19. TVH

TVH Member

The image is ok according to CDMage. This problem happened also in Win98 (I have multiboot with Win2k pro & 98) and I can clearly remember this same problem has occurred in the similiar way with 3 other images. this is getting soooooo strange....
    BTW, my burner is Philips CDRW1610A and I've tried Philips and TDK mediums and slow burn speeds, I've disabled AutoInsert Notification, and I've tried disabling DMA, I've changed the IDE cable I've tried almost everything...

20. angelo33

angelo33 Guest

Hi, I was reading through this discussion and I am not sure if you already covered what I am about to ask. I have a bin file and I don't know how to get a cue file from it so that I can create a cd to use the program. But I am confused because I read that you dont need a cue file, and that you can burn the contents of the bin file by using fireburner. I extracted the contents of the bin file by using isobuster. I am not sure what I am suppose to do and if I am doing anything right at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.