1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bin/cue to mpeg or avi

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by sg420, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg420

sg420 Guest

I have a 3gb bin/cue file on 4 discs and I am trying to convert it to a compressed format like mpeg or avi. Help if you can, please.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

WTF bin/cue file does on your disc? Bin/cue files are meant to be burned on discs because THEY ARE DISC IMAGES. Darn...

Copy the bin/cue files to HDD and burn them as they're supposed to be burned -- as images. If you're using CDRWin, just select "Burn image" or something similiar. If you're using Nero, you need to tweak little bit more. Guides:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/cdrwin.htm
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/nerobin.htm

3. sg420

sg420 Guest

I downloaded an Academy print of LOTR from a friend's FTP. It came down as a bin/cue, .rar, and covers 3.3 gigs. I am trying to get it into a compressed format to u/l to grokster. I tried using vcd gear 3.06, extracting to a .raw, then to mpeg. Got the image O.K., but didn't get the audio. Am I trying to do something impossible, or am I just fu**ed up. Yeah yeah, I know, fu**ed up. Sorry, I'm kinda new at this.

4. dRD

Use older (2.xx) VCDGear, switch all the ticks off from the boxes and select RAW to MPEG and you should be able to squeeze it out -- as I assume you're speaking of SVCD version now.

5. sg420

sg420 Guest

Thanks for the help, I'll try that.

6. undyisgay

undyisgay Guest

hey, i am actually looking to convert my avi. and mpeg files into bin files so that i can use them to make a vcd. pleas include a link of somewhere i can download one for free.

7. dRD

undyisgay: You are probably just "slightly" lost now with all the terms related to video encoding :) BIN doesn't have anything to do with VCD, BIN is a CD image format.

If you wish to make VCDs from your AVIs and MPEGs, you need to convert your AVIs to MPEG-1s with TMPGEnc and also make sure that your existing MPEG-1s are VCD compliant.

Then you use some burning application that supports VCDs, like Nero, to burn the files into VCD format.

8. undyisgay

undyisgay Guest

ok, so i need to convert zvi files to mpeg-1s. where can i get something to do that. and is the roxio easy cd creator5's vcd creator a sufficent program. the mpeg's i had that i tried to put in that were not compatable. so how do i convert hose.

9. malcolmt

malcolmt Member

REQ: dRD
    I saw your instructions re converting cue/bin files using CDRWin.
    I got that prog. and from the site www.vcdhelp.com/cdrwin.htm burned the bin to a cd-r. just as the instructions said.
    Now, what the hell do I do with the resulting batch of files that are on the CD-R, expecially the MPEGAV\ file which is the big one.
    I thought this would have burned the movie onto the disk but nothing I have on my system reads a MPEGAV\.dat file.
    Seems to be a waste of a CD-R disk???

10. dRD

You've very likely created a VCD or SVCD file. As said, BIN/CUE doesn't tell you what contains inside the CD image -- it just really just a CD image, I can put very unsexy pictures of myself wearing leather belt to CD, make a BIN image out of that and name it as "Lord of the Rings II - DVD screener.BIN" and share it through Gnutella and you would never know what you have inside it based on the extension.

VCD files are playable with all Windows versions -- just drag the big .dat file to your Windows Media Player and it will play it. More importantly, the VCD you burned, is playable directly with almost any stand-alone DVD player.

11. ch0g0nda

ch0g0nda Guest

Cue (they are what tell windows where the bin file is) Bin (the binary file containing various types of info.... even (s)vcd) even though this is a very old forum.. I'm still gonna be nice nuff to correct you... and if u didn't wanna read that here's the bottem line...

cue/bin are NOT CD IMAGES! They are windows files! Loading the cue into any file will almost always load the bin in along with it. That's the job of the cue.

12. jemusu

jemusu Member

Just a simple solution....instead of using freeware encoders and going through too many steps, download the newest version of Nero Burning Rom. Nero will encode your AVI files to MPEG-1 for before it creates your VCD. Just a suggestion.

13. dRD

jemusu: If you would read through our forums, you would soon find out that Nero's encoding quality is horrible when compared to TMPGEnc.

14. Jake

Jake Active member

ch0g0nda, maybe you should learning more file systems before you write that kind s*it.

"Cue (they are what tell windows where the bin file is) Bin (the binary file containing various types of info"

NO, .cue file tell burning options (.bin file must be same name than .cue) to burning software and .bin contains data.
    Open .cue file with notepad then you will see.

"cue/bin are NOT CD IMAGES! They are windows files!"
    f**k .cue and .bin is image files and also windows files..

15. Feul99

Feul99 Guest

I dowloaded reign of fire in .rar files and when i extracted it i ended up with this 600 MB .bin file with no .cue file. How can i convert the .bin into mpeg. I tried using VCDGear but it won't let me convert without the .cue file.....can anyone help????

16. dRD

Feul99: Read the rules -- no non-related posts to threads, start a new thread for your question and pick an appropriate forum (VCD/SVCD probably).

And this thread will close now, too much useless chit-chat that's non-related to the topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.