1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIN-files, how to use them?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Ghostdog, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

This will probably sound like a newbie question, but I really haven´t had to deal with these things before.

I downloaded a .bin file that supposedly contained program files, but how do I open/use the damn thing? How do I extract the files that are in the .bin-file?

Hope someone can help me.

2. mohame

mohame Guest

Souns like ur a big n00b.. heh. If u want to extract the bin you can use ISOBUSTER(google search then download). This program can extract ISO and BIN files.

Hope this helps._X_X_X_X_X_[small]Intel P3 800 mhz
    128mb memory
    geforce4 mx 440
    teac burner[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2003
  3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well BIN files are just a format of storing the entire contents of a CD within a single file. The simplest way to "use" your BIN file is to burn it onto a CD. Another way to access the contents of the BIN is to mount it onto a virtual drive of some sort, be it the CloneDrive, AlcoholDrive or DaemonTools or whatever. Lastly you can simply extract the contents of the BIN using any number of tools such as CDMage, ISOBuster, WinISO, UltraISO etc. Hope this helps! :)

BIN / .CUE / .ISO Frequently asked questions
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7976

4. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

ISOBuster...

sirmugen

5. Praetor

Beat you to it! :p On a more serious note, you can also use CDMage to check if the BIN has errors in it. (Action --> Scan for Errors)

6. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Thanks guys, I think I´ll try ISO Buster first, I think I have it lying around somewhere.

I tried burning it on the a CD-RW, but it didn´t work. The CD wouldn´t open.

7. mac71

mac71 Guest

What program did you use to burn the bin file?

8. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

You have to burn it is an image..

I use Nero, File -> Write image -> chose our bin file. You can't just use put the bin file in as data...it will be unregonized.

sirmugen

9. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Nero doesn´t find the BIN-file. Strange.
    Trying ISO Buster now...

10. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Well I´ll be damned, I guess it was my bad - not Nero´s. I got the BIN burned to a CD-RW now, thanks for your help.

11. mac71

mac71 Guest

Nero doesn't burn .bin files it only burns the .cue file associated with the bin file.

12. Praetor

Yes indeed Nero only does do CUE files. You can google your way to a CUE Creator or CDMage to make one for you. The advantage with CDMage is (a) you can test the BIN and (b) no need to dig through the zillions of links about some Perl thingy hehe

To Create a CUE File Using CDMage: (1)Open the CD Image using CDMage, (2)File --> Save As, (3)Give it a different name. The save process will automatically create a CUE file.
    CDMage:http://cdmage.orcon.net.nz/frames.html

13. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Strange, because I clicked "Burn image" in Nero, then selected the file browser to show all files and chose the BIN-file. When it was finished burning the CD worked fine and contained all the files I expected.

14. sirmugen

sirmugen Regular member

Same as me... thats the way I burn images

sirmugen

15. Praetor

Interesting.... thats a good thing now that Nero has wisened up to the fact that many people dont have CUEs and only BINs hehe. Glad it works for you!

16. amishjew

amishjew Guest

Well how come when i go to load my .BIN file with cdmage like you guys said so i can just burn the cue file everytime i go to open the file with cdmage it says the file is invalid and blah blah and it wont open? I did everything you guys said and this cdmage just will not open my .bin files so i cant save them to make them a cue and i cant scan them i know this file is good and there is nothing wrong with it so whats the deal?

17. Ghostdog

Ghostdog Regular member

Maybe the actual file is corrupted?

18. amishjew

amishjew Guest

naw i said in the message before that it was fine i can view all the files with isobuster i just wanted to put it on a cd because its a play cd for a game.

19. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

hmm this is more of a cd-r question,

moved to cd-r forum

20. amishjew

amishjew Guest

thats not a cd-r question the original question was about cdmage i learned about it in this post and i tried but when i try to open my bin file it says invalid format of file and i wanted to know why it says that i want to save it as a cue so i can put it on a cd but my problem doesnt lie in the cd-r post because i am having trouble with cdmage. when i open it with iso buster it shows me 4 files that are contained in the bin i just wanna figure out how to make this thing work. If you guys that know alot about cdmage can help me then please help me. lol i still cant get over the fact that you read one thing about a cd and you think its a cd-r problem did you even ready my other post that was 3 msg up? anyway any help i can get i will appreciate it.