1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bios/Graphics Card Quest-ion....

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by elitepunk, Jun 14, 2007.

1. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

Hi again its elitepunk, ummm,

Ok, I have WinXPSP2, I have a K8V-MX motherboard with AGP [NO pci-e] and right now, i have a 9800pro 256mb video card installed on it...now the question is, my motherboard bios only shows a selection of eitheir 8,16,32,64...or 256mb for AGP, so does that mean that if I wanted to upgrade to the 512mb ATI radeon X1650 it would not work? or would Windows over-ride the bios, and it would still utilize the full 512mb of memory anyway? any suggestion is apprecieated.

-jon.

2. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

-BUMP.

yep, just need some help here, ehhemmm,

3. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

does anyone have any idea about my problem PLEASE HELP I NEED YOUR HELP.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

don't worry about. if in doubt then check mb site to see if there is a bios up for that & check their faq.

5. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

Thanx for the rply,

I still have MANY questions left unanswered. I did some research and can find absoultly no help for my board. But could someone give me some basic info/ like do most boards with AGP even though it says 256mb in bios can still support 512 meg cards///

IM REALLY REALLY CONFUSED...

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've not seen or heard of any issue with AGP boards only supporting up to certain size Graphics memory, but I assure you, if you bought that card (X1650) and it only recognised 256MB of it, there would be absolutely no difference in performance. Extra memory is put onto cheaper graphics cards when they don't need it to make them seem more powerful than they really are. Buy a 256MB version of the card, save money and have done with it. If you look at performance benchmarks, there's very little difference between 256MB and 512MB versions of graphics cards 3 times as powerful as that one.

7. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH,

Now I understand, it seems simple enough
    [unlike trying to understand people who upgrade to winV] I actually searched much of the net and yeah i found nothing on this question I raised...I guess its pretty common knowledge then, hmmm, and I had 6 months training as a puter tek..LOL.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol it's alright, I learnt most of what I know from other afterdawn users. Lol at the Vista comment, my PC refuses to even install it!

9. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

haha yeah, i know, from the video's ive seen on the internet, and all the horror stories ive read...i wouldn't put it on my machine tell you that. I believe that would be classified as ''computer suicide'' but, maybe microsoft will come around in a couple years and take out all of the annoying unnesesary features it it, and before I upgrade to it, everything that i could run under Xp better be crash free, and compatible with vista, and i don't think that is likely to happen...so i guess in 20 years time guess what OS i will still be running LOL...

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

There's only one really annoying feature I can think of, which is supposed to be removable (permission control) but it's just that nothing about it seems to work properly. It's a nice interface, and good to work with, but it has way too many issues to be realistically used as a primary operating system, and of course you can only ever run it as primary.

11. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

i think we can all agree it is macos 10 plus BSOD