1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BIOS PASSWORD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by in11, Apr 12, 2004.

1. in11

in11 Guest

hi ppls....i was in the middle of configuring my toshiba satellite a10 laptop when i left it for 1/2 hour and my young bloke has hit something...and now its asking for a password everytime it boots up....I've tried taking out the cmos battery for about 6hrs...no hope..no jumpers on the motherboard...is there any other way i can clear before i have to send it to toshiba....these are the specs of it PROCESSOR: Mobile Celeron 2.4GHz-M, 256KBL2 Cache PI DATE: OCTOBER 2003
    STORAGE: 30GB HDD, DVD Drive
    MEMORY: 256MB PC2100 expandable to 1GB
    DISPLAY: 14.1" LCD 1024 x 768 resolution
    VIDEO: Intel Extreme 852GME with upto 64MB UMA VRAM
    EXPANSION: Parallel, RGB, 2 USB 2.0, Modem, LAN
    COMMUNICATION: V.92 modem, 10/100 Ethernet, Integrated wireless LAN antenna
    POWER: 3600mAh Lithium-Ion battery, 2.8 hours Battery life
    DIMENSIONS: (w x d x h): 332mm x 293mm x 33-40mm, WEIGHT: 2.8kg
    KEYBOARD: 85 key keyboard
    SYSTEM ARCHITECHTURE: Intel 852GM chipset, 400MHz FSB
    AUDIO: AD1981B AC'97 Software Sound, Stereo speakers
    AUDIO PORTS: Headphone port, Microphone port
    Type II PC Card Slot
    thanx for any help

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure about Toshibas, but I have a friend who had a similar situation with a Gateway laptop. I say similar because he set the password himself when he was drunk. What we eventually found out was that the only way to reset that password was to send it back to the manufacturer. Hope yours turns out to be easier, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

3. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

In11,

Try this web page out and see if you can find anything here. It might be old news, but then again might just help you out. It's a web page that lists alot of "backdoor" bios passwords for motherboard manufacturers.. It also has some CMOS programs for recovering passwords.. check it out

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/BIOS_hack.htm

Matt

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  4. Xian

Xian Regular member

As far as I know, Toshiba laptops do not have a way to recover or reset a bios password except by sending it in for service unless you created the password recovery disk when the password was created. The company I used to work for had several hundred of them and occasionaly one of the users would set it and forget what it was or do it accidently. The tech we had working on them always had to send them in to Toshiba.

If you happened to make the password recovery disk, the procedure for resetting it can be found at:
    http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/cgi-bin/ToshibaCSG/faq.jsp?z=98&service=UK&FID=QTEG0000000413

5. in11

in11 Guest

a friend said to me it will cost a couple of hundred...to reset...he told me to try taking the cmos battery out for a week...so the motherboard power drains out...has any1 heard of this on the new boards?

6. Motomatt

Motomatt Regular member

ok try this one out. I found this after extensive searching...

Toshiba NoteBooks BIOS Password Recovery

Details
    A simple tool can recover the BIOS password of Toshiba notebooks. Also, a simple procedure can be used to bypass this password protection altogether.

Ingredients:

1. Your notebook.
    2. An empty formatted diskette (720 kb or 1,44 mb).
    3. A second computer (e.g. a DOS desktop PC).
    4. A hex-editor (e.g. Norton DiskEdit or HexWorks).

Procedure:

1. Start the desktop PC and start the hex-editor.
    2. Put the disk in drive A:
    3. Change the first five bytes of sector 1 (boot sector is sector 0) to: 4B 45 59 00 00.
    4. Save it! Now you have a KEYDISK.
    5. Remove the disk from drive A:
    6. Put the disk in the notebook drive.
    7. Start the notebook in Boot Mode (push the reset button).
    8. Press Enter when asked for Password:
    9. You will be asked to Set Password again. Press Y and Enter.
    10. You now see the BIOS configuration where you can set a new password.

If you want to recover your previous password using a CMOS password cracker, you can download CmosPwd from:
    http://www.esiea.fr/public_html/Christophe.GRENIER/cmospwd.html

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

in11, I have a really stupid question.

Is your notebooking asking for the password imidiately when it starts or is it not allowing you into Windows with out a password?
    Your original post implyed to me that you couldn't get into Windows because it needs a password. If this is the case, format and reinstall windows.
    IF it is the bios (which shouldn't inhibit startup) then follow others sugestions. But most of the time you don't need to acess the bios.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I am not a number
    I am a Free Man[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2004
  8. in11

in11 Guest

its asking me for the password as soon as i turn it on ...cant get access to windows....it says password: with a black screen behind it....like your in dos....havent evn came accross this...as they say theres a first time for everything....alll the other programs are used on older toshiba laptops

9. bilaliz

bilaliz Member

i have the exactly same problem, and it sucks, i am still trying to figure out a way to slove it, if you happen to find a method, please mail me at bilalusanet@yahoo.com and i get it first, i'll let u know .. thx

10. in11

in11 Guest

bilaliz...i spoke to a friend in I.T he's on holidays atm...for 2 weeks...but he said he'll find out a solution

11. askyew

askyew Regular member

I work with plc`s and I can reset their memory quickly by removing the cmos battery and shorting the battery pins. The short will interrupt all dc voltage stored in the system. I dont know if it will work for you but you might give it a try.

12. plao

plao Member

in11!!!

i've found the solution, and i have the same problem...

You've to realize a dongle using a 25 pin parallel connector and put it on your parallel port on your notebook.

When you start the notebook with this dongle connected, the BIOS password was cleared, 'cause this dongle acts a RESET in your BIOS!!!

Wonderful, believe me...

Here i send to you the link on you can read as made this dongle, you only need a connector and a soldier!

http://www.hackfaq.org/computers/reset-bios-password.shtml

Search in the page under "Resetting a Toshiba BIOS Password"...

Look:
    [bold]
    Most Toshiba laptops can be convinced to boot without their power-on BIOS password by attaching a dongle to the serial (??? no! PARALLEL!!!) port which crosses a number of the pins. The pin out is:

Pins
    1-5-10
    2-11
    3-17
    4-12
    6-16
    7-13
    8-14
    9-15

Some Toshiba's can be convinced to bypass the startup BIOS password if you hold down the <LEFT-SHIFT> key while booting the system
    [/bold]

...the last solution with <LEFT-SHIFT> has no worked, 4 me...but with the dongle on LPT port i've resolved all my problems :)))))

Let me know if this has worked!
    Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  13. bilaliz

bilaliz Member

lol ... i found out that i locked my self out of the "security chip" (not the bios one!) password ... any 1 knowz how to fix tht ?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2004
  14. maxtuh

maxtuh Member

Plao

I am not quite clear, whether its the parellel port or serial port you attach the dongle to, and what type of dongle and how is its pins connected

Confused:S

any help would be appreciated.

thx
    maxtuh

15. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

The pin settings he listed are for serial, not parellel port. Serial is DB15, parrellel is DB25.

I think you just need a serial cable, the pins are marked in very fine print on the cable. Just solder or twist tie the wires connected to pins that he has labeled. So get a serial cable, cut off one connector, strip the wires, twist tie pins labeled. That might work, if the info he posted is correct. Serial cables I find in the carbage on the street, no one really uses serial anymore, you maybe able to try this for free.

16. plao

plao Member

for prisoner:

you have to use a PARALLEL connector, NOT SERIAL!!!

believe me, with parallel (DB25) all is working fine!

17. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

So the other pins are left free?

That even got me. In your post:
    You do say serial and you do list 15 pin connection sequence. I just now noticed the brakets. Some time I skip them as force of habit.

18. plao

plao Member

yes!
    the other pins are left free!!!

in my post i've copied and pasted the text of the original webpage (http://www.hackfaq.org/computers/reset-bios-password.shtml), but there is a mistake...i confirm that is a PARALLEL and NOT SERIAL...

Cheers.

Last edited: May 5, 2004
  19. arrow_skk

arrow_skk Guest

Plao,
    if i'm using toshiba 5100 which dont hav parallel as well as serial. how do i reset the password other than using dongle?

thanks

20. maxtuh

maxtuh Member