1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bioshock (PC-DVD Version) Restarts my PC--help?

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by austinhg, Sep 5, 2007.

1. austinhg

austinhg Member

I purchased the full version of Bioshock for the PC. It installed ok but I had to turn off most of the options to get it to scroll more smoothly. The problem I have is that when I start playing part two (Neptunes ???), the PC makes a sound like the Hard Disk is struggling, then the screen goes blue, immediately filled with white letters (Almost like the Blue Screen of Death) and then my PC shuts down and restarts. It happens every time at this same spot in the game.

My PC:
    HP Pavilion a1440n
    820 Intel viiv (Intel Pentium D (Dual Core)Processor
    GeForce 7300LE graphics card
    2 GB RAM
    350 GB Hard Disk
    OS is Windows XP Home Media Center w/Service Pack 2

I have read on another thread that AVG Antivirus may recognize the install through the internet as a virus threat. It results in the game not being able to be played.

It has been suggested that I do a re-install. Anyway, thanks in advance for any help I receive. Cheers!

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Personally I think it is that your PC can't handle it, for some reason the game keeps crashing your PC. Whether it is hardware or software based is uncertain. Start by popping open the side of your case and cleaning all the dust out. Also what programs run when you turn your PC on? And do you turn these off when playing?

3. 0Nobody0

0Nobody0 Guest

First off....you always need to defrag your disk b4 adding any newer games...second i think your video card can't handle it, seems like an overheat problem (fatal error)...or maybe dram overheat...

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@austinhg/0nobody0

a 7300 LE can handle the game on minimum settings as a old 6600 card is the minimum requirment. Also a defrag before installation is not needed. Tell me "nobody" do you defrag before you install a pc program? Because a game is no different then a program install and a defrag is not needed.

5. austinhg

austinhg Member

Thanks for the replies! Here's an update. I cleaned out the PC, and eliminated all unnecessary running programs, but a funny thing happened on the way to re-install the game.

BACKFLASH: The gane was installed and ran fine, but kept restarting my PC at the same spot in the game. So I did an Uninstall.

Ok, afer accomplishing the above responses recommendations, I went to reinstall the game. However, this time it didn't ask for the activation code key,like it did on the initial install. So I'm guessing its still in the PCs registry somewhere. Anyway, I was able to install the game, but now, it automatically restarts my computer.

I wasthinking about trying a program called GamePad, that basically sets you PC up to play games. Don't know if it will work though.

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

austinhg, the problem you have is most likely related to your videocard as yours is intergrated in your motherboard. your videocard specs
    Video Graphics
    GeForce 7300LE
    64 MB DDR memory
    I/O Ports: VGA, Composite, S-Video
    system specs link
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...80&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&product=1843644&lang=en

bioshock system requirements
    Minimum Requirements
    CPU - Pentium 4 2.4GHz Single Core processor
    System RAM - 1GB
    Video Card - Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 128MB RAM (NVIDIA 6600 or better/ATI X1300 or better, excluding ATI X1550).
    Sound Card - 100% direct X 9.0c compatible sound card
    Hard disc space - 8GB free space

Recommended Requirements
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo processor
    System RAM - 2GB
    Video card - DX9 - Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT or better) / DX10 - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 or better
    Sound Card - Sound Blaster X-Fi series (Optimized for use with Creative Labs EAX ADVANCED HD 4.0 or EAX ADVANCED HD 5.0 compatible sound cards)

7. AcidCorps

AcidCorps Member

I have the same computer as you with the GeForce 7300le card and specs, and ive managed to get it running fine. you need to go to Nvidia's website and update your drivers for it. the new driver supports bioshock, and it runs smoother without hanging up your system. I even got it running very good on medium settings with some of the effects running. good luck!

8. austinhg

austinhg Member

Thanks, AcidCorps. There was indeed a updated driver available. I installed it, then reinstalled Directx 9c. The game pre screens now get as far as the Nvidia screen, then I get the quick BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) and my PC reboots itself. What I did discover as well was I used to play Command -n- Conquer 3 and never had a problem with it either. Now it resets my PC as well. I'm beginning to suspect a bad registry entry, or maybe too many things running in the background. But, thanks for the advice. It was accurate and definately usable. Cheers!