1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bioshock pc lagging

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by armyman45, May 4, 2008.

1. armyman45

armyman45 Guest

ok so i have bioshock on my pc n it wasnt running properly at first so i set it to run an in xp service pack 2 and it runs but its laggy so i turned my graphics as low as possible and its still a lil choppy like ill hold down foward let go and ill still keep goin ofr a sec or two same with all the controlls thier either slightly delayed or keep doing the action after i stop hitting the button

i did the nvidia can my comper play this game thing and it said my computer was a lil bit above the recomended except my sound card which i got the sound working anyways

system specs are

2 processors running - Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.60GHz
    2.0 GB System RAM
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, 32-bit (Build 6000)
    You Have: NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS (GeForce 8300 GS)
    Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video RAM: Required - 512 MB , You have - 880.2 MB
    Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
    Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required - Yes , You have - Yes
    Vertex Shader Ver.: Required - 3.0 , You have - 4.0
    Pixel Shader Ver.: Required - 3.0 , You have - 4.0

by the way i also run bioshock in the lowest graphics setting to make it load faster and the button lagging still happens

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

unless you're overclocking your e2140, performance isn't gonna be good for gaming. most people would overclock the e2140 to at least 3ghz, because it's cheap and has overclock potential.

also the 8300GS is not a gaming card. you would at least need a 8600GTS 512 or ATi HD3850 512 to get stable gameplay.

3. armyman45

armyman45 Guest

first of all i dont use many tech terms so overclocking would be? and the nvidia site said my card as long as its got the new drivers is slightly above the recomended, and yes i did update all drivers n such on my comp

4. armyman45

armyman45 Guest

ok i did some deffinition searching on overclocking do can anyone link me to another forum topic or site that could help me learn how to overclock my pc
    (still continuing the bioshock problems though)

5. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Yes, the processor is pretty bad, but that's not the root of your problem, it's your graphics card that is majorly affecting performance. The 8300 is (As far as i can remember) not actually available for the public to buy, only manufacturers, this is due to it being placed in only very low end PCs. As cee43ja1 said, you should be looking at upgrading your graphics card - his suggestions are good if you don't want to have to spend that much on gaming.

About overclocking your CPU:

Overclocking a CPU involves going into your BIOS and changing certain values. Overclock by too much and apart from your computer freezing or shutting down, you could harm the components. If you want to overclock, read up on it for a few hours or something, just so you know for sure what you're doing.

6. armyman45

armyman45 Guest

oh yes i forgot to add one more thing my computer can run crysis at medium graphics and not lag at all i run bioshock at lowest possible everything and its laggy if crysis supposed to be the more advanced than how come bioshock lags (i ussually run most of my games in lowest settings anyway to provide quicker load times)

7. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Whoa steady on...

An 8400 (which is better than your graphics card (or at least the one you listed)) honestly struggles running Crysis above minimum settings at a good resolution.

8. armyman45

armyman45 Guest

yep i got mine to run medium-low on (800-600 res though) not full res. but it still didnt lag at all so that could be why i did get it to run pretty good at other higher res. but i just stuck with that one for ultra smoothness and loading times n junk

EDT. ok i just did some screen tests with crysis i can get it to run 1024-768 res on low with minimal lag i can run 800-600 on flat medium and get a lil more lag but i ussually run it low with some medium

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  9. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

bioshock is probably more cpu intensive. eventhough you have dual core e2140, it's not fast enough for gaming. you at least want 2.5ghz for gaming.

slightly above the recommendation is just for getting playable rates. it's not going to be guaranteed to be smooth.

10. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Another thing to note - You most likely don't actually meet recommended specs.

Your dedicated video memory registers as 880.2MB, this figure is wrong, srtest (I presume you used that?) doesn't always measure the dedicated memory only (Usually only on the lower end cards). The 8300GS truly only has 128MB of dedicated memory, this is the minimum for the game to run, the same with Crysis. This is very important, you should have 256MB of dedicated memory at least to run new games at a reasonable resolution and with textures looking nice.

11. armyman45

armyman45 Guest

the nvidia site said my card has 880 my system info says 512 either way i said i CAN run crysis im having absolutely no problems with that no matter what the statistics say crysis run great its bioshock thats the problemo

12. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

If i'm looking things up right, i understand it as thus;

The card has 128MB RAM, supporting up to 512MB with Turbocache (which is what windows notices). As i said before, 128MB is the minimum for the games to run, you should be looking to get a better graphics card. The best option would be to get both a new CPU and graphics card, but if you can only afford one, go with a new graphics card.

13. armyman45

armyman45 Guest

duely noted is there anything else i can do to my pc other than buying new equipment im getting a new comp next fall anyway but im talkin just for now so i can run bioshock a lil better

14. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

NEXT Autumn? That's a while to wait with your 8300GS, before then, games will really start to lag, even at minimum, if you really have to wait, drop into the market for a new PC when the GeForce 10 series come out (Whenever that will be, though surely before Q3 '09). Or you could wait for the prices of the 9800GTX to drop, i'm willing to bet that by the start of next year they'll be around £130 (In the USA i'd guess at just over $200 'cos computer components are cheaper over there). With that kind of card you'd be set up for the next few years.

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  15. armyman45

armyman45 Guest

well im not HUGE into pc gaming theres just some games id rather have on the pc so im not goin for anything too expensive i got a 360 bioshock and crysis were gifts so thats whay i was trying so hard to get em to work however i do intend to get a rlly good card (when i get around to it)

16. Emarosa

Emarosa Member

I know this is an old thread, but I am also having the same problem and I'm wondering if my processor can handle Bioshock. It is a amd athlon 64 x2 dual core processor 5600+ 2.80 GHZ. If that isn't it, I'm not sure what the problem is... Any help would be appreciated.
    To the OP, sorry for jacking your original thread, just figured that I wouldn't create a new thread for the same problem...

17. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

the x2 5600 should be fine, since the minimum processor required is a 2.4 pentium 4.

most likely your graphics card is not up to it.

18. Emarosa

Emarosa Member

How do I check that out?

19. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

do you have a graphics card installed? or are you using the onboard graphics?

go HERE and choose bioshock from the list. it'll tell you if your system can run it.

20. Emarosa

Emarosa Member

Alright so everything else passed except for the video card. What is my best option? I'm looking for something cheap, quick and easy, especially since I don't do very much PC gaming. None, in fact. Bioshock is the first game I've bought, so its kind of depressing that I can't play it.