1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bittorrent suddenly going slow?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by DataDrain, Jan 17, 2007.

1. DataDrain

DataDrain Member

Hey everyone, I've got a bit of a problem. I use Bittornado to download all of my torrents, and up until about a week ago, the status light was always green and I was getting fairly fast downloads.

However, now the yellow light is constantly on and the fastest I've been able to download from a well seeded file is 15 kB/s. I'm not behind a firewall, and the only thing that I could think that I've done is installed a Nintendo USB Wireless Adapter, but I don't have that plugged in and I've got my laptop directly plugged into my cable modem, just like it's always been. Everything else runs fast; my download speeds when I'm getting downloads from a website run at the same speed as they always have, it's just Bittorrent that doesn't seem to want to download anything. Does anyone have any idea on how I can fix this?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  2. kateman

kateman Regular member

this should be moved to the p2p forum!

3. Skitzy

Skitzy Regular member

I agree about the move but I still can't help but want to make a suggestion, My guess is that automatic port mapping (think it's called upnp) has finally said fuke it. I know you said your weren't firewalled but are you behind a router?? because you should definetly port forward if you are. It's quite simple really. just go to start/run, and type CMD and then ipconfig/all and get all your ip info, gateway address, and DNS. Write that down somewhere cuz you will need that when you set up your static ip. Now just go to control panel and click network connections. Click wired or wifi whichever it may be for you. Then you will need to click properties, once inside this window you need to double click Internet protocol (TCP/IP) Ok, now this is where the information you wrote down earlier comes in handy.. click the bubble that says configure ip manually and set each one to its appropriate value (just like it was written from ipconfig/all) then set up a manual dns with both domain name servers address's that you got there as well and click ok. Now you have a static ip address, part 1 is done.. afer you do that a few times it becomes second nature I swear.. when I first came here to figure out how to do it I thought it was alot at first but quickly learned its really just a few mouse clicks and a few keystrokes. Anyways.. after you get a static ip adress you will need to set up the router. It will be different for each router but this really is the easy part. Just set up port forwarding and your done. There are different guides for different programs (utorrent, azureus, etc) and they are really easy to google. Hope you see green soon.. and I hope that AD folks don't get ill again for me being redundant.. just remember being in his/her shoes is all.

4. doc1978

doc1978 Member

Hi are you leeching from a public tracker or privert? Are you on a router? do you have any other firewalls apart from windows :ie ZoneAlarm norton if so try this,thay must be set up to provide the equivalent forwarding or pass-through capability as needed,if your leeching from a public one then be very carefull you can get all sort of Trojan's (i own my own site),can i also advise you to use Utorrent good client (google it),also try to manual annonce,click advence on your client there you will find it in the bottom right corner,also it depend's on the seed/s or peer's if thay limit there ports,one more thing try changing your ports in your client to :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007