1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BitTorrent

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by DList, Dec 6, 2005.

1. DList

DList Member

I can see us Mac users are a bit thin on the ground about these parts, but I"ll give it a go anyway. ;-)

Can anybody suggest an alternative to the standard BitTorrent client available for the Mac? I've been using it for ages with no problems, but the latest version seems to download a bit slower than it used to and loses all the peers and seeders quite often...

Anybody got any suggestions? My router is properly configured etc, and I get decent speeds on things like LimeWire etc, I'm proper puzzled...

2. Londor

Londor Guest

3. DList

DList Member

thanks very much mate, that works a treat!

4. dMerc

dMerc Member

uTorrent is pretty awesome too. I switched to uTorrent from Azureus. It's faster for me and takes up almost no resources (relatively).

5. whocares1

whocares1 Guest

ya but utorrent isnt for mac

6. albertox

albertox Member

few mac users here. use tomato or transmission (at versiontracker.com)

7. reef_05

reef_05 Guest

Just looked at your thread and saw you had your router properly configured. Just wondering if you could help me by explaining how to port forward in mac OSX? I know how to do it through windows but mac has got me puzzled!

8. mirla

mirla Member

Same question. I've found a bunch of guides, but none of them help my particular config.

I'm working on a Powerbook G4 with (I know, I know) OSX 10.3.9 installed (I can't currently afford Tiger, but will soon).

The Powerbook connects to the net wirelessly via a Belkin router, whose ethernet cable is hooked up primarily to my very old beige G3 desktop.

All I need to know, I think, is how to open ports 6881-6889 while using my Airport connection via my laptop.

I don't believe I can open those ports through my G3 desktop. But if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Incidentally, Reef, have you tried portforward.com?

Thanks, everyone.

9. reef_05

reef_05 Guest

Mirla, I did actually try portforward.com initially but it all seems to relate to windows only, so it seemed a bit pointless. I even went to the apple website but found oh to little about it. The thing is my port is clearly open but is restricted, coz I have a download speed of up to 20-50kb/s but it should be up around the 200kb/s with my connection. HHmmm!!! By the way those ports 6881-6889 shouldn't be used. Try 49152 and above, most ISP's have blocked the azureus default.

10. mirla

mirla Member

Thanks, reef. I have a Belkin router, and portforward.com contained Mac OSX instructions for it. Unfortunately, some of it was Greek to me. I can't get a hold of my ISP to get DNS servers to manually create a static IP, which seems to be necessary for port forwarding.

I just tried to enter 49155 as the port in my Bittorrent preferences. I also thought I might need to restart, to apply it, so I quit. When I went to relaunch, I got an error box telling me it couldn't open the port. In parentheses it said something about 48 being in use. 48?

Anyhow, I re-entered 6885, and it opened just fine. Too bad I'd lost all my connections, and it's been 5 minutes now, and they have not resumed. CRAP. Of course I've been getting DL speeds of about 5 KB at most, so it's not like it's been such a big deal.

11. angrywolf

angrywolf Member

i have mac os 8.0 and when i turn it on a picture of a floppy disk with a question mark (?) comes up on it and i cant find a boot up disk? what do i do

12. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

i just started again to use BT.. with azureus.. and i'm loving it.. getting transfers over 100... i just leave it overnight..

i'm plugged in directly to my dsl modem.. no issues so far

13. careyciii

careyciii Member

Don't know if this is coming a bit late but mirla you don't need to contact your ISP to port forward. I don't have a belkin but i have vague recollection of helping my buddy set up his so some of this might be slightly off but I'm pretty sure it will lead you in the right direction. open up your browser (safari, firefox, etc.) and enter 192.168.2.1 (should be the default ip address). I think that you can leave the password section blank unless you have already set one. hit submit. click on the "virtual servers" which is near or in the "firewall" section. you should get a window that has some pretty straight forward blanks in it (starting port ending port etc.) With azureus you only need one port open so choose something up near 52000 or above. make sure that you choose both "type" (UDP/TCP). there should be an option that says both. If not do the same info twice once UPD once TCP. There should be a submit/save/configure which will set the router to what you have now defined. NOw, open azureus and under the "azureus" menu click on preferences. set the UDP/TCP listen port to the number you forwarded in your router. make sure you click save which you need to scroll down to. Not sure if you need to restart azureus after that but maybe safest bet. Depending on your provider you should be flying after that.

reef d/l u/l speeds are more dependent upon the swarm and the server that is distributing the torrents than your ISP. I've had 2.1Mb/s (yes that's right Mb/s) with 5 peers on one site while getting around 30 kb/s with close to 1000 peers at another.

best way to confirm that your ports are open in azureus is the nice green happy face. if you are yellow or grey you probably are blocked. hope that helps and that it isn't too late

14. trigga71

trigga71 Regular member

i use transmission i like it well, good dl speeds and nice ez gui.

15. ludeboy12

ludeboy12 Member

transmission is the best i think....bits on wheels is good too but i think its banned by some trackers...

16. MacWorm

MacWorm Member

Does anyone know what is the best router at Azureus in Mac? Cos my torrent downloading seems to be quite slow and always appear the 'Closed' yellow face. Could anyone help me, please? Many Thanks!

17. acdawson

acdawson Member

Hello,

Running 10.4.5 and Azureus 2.4.0.0 on my powerbook. Whenever I click on a torrent file (that has been associated with Azureus) it opens Azureus but then nothing happens. The file is not added to the download list and Azureus just sits there. I can do this time and time again, double click on torrent, Azureus opens, and nothing happens. This has been replicated with a large number of different torrent files. Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance from a BT newbie.
    acdawson.

18. fludie

fludie Member

all you have to so is go onto your router and then change the ports to port forwarding to 6881-6995

thats all have tcp and ip on also

19. dawgydog

dawgydog Guest

Taking off firewall fixed everything for me, increased speeds and fixed NATs. Obviously poses a threat, but as mac users that is minimal, especially if you replace it between downloads.

20. CABeach

CABeach Member

Just put WINDOWS XP on your MAC. Since now you can do that. No worries.