1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black bars and letterboxes....

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Shin, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Shin

Shin Guest

Is there a way to add those black bars to a 16:9 ratio Divx movie (thus, making it 4:3)? I'm thinking about adding subtitles to a movie I've encoded, but don't want the subs to detract from the actual picture.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

If you're making DivX clips, why would you want to put the subtitles physically in the video when you can use something like SubRip or VobSub that stores subtitles in separate file that can be turned on/off when played.

3. Shin

Shin Guest

Really? I never knew such could be done.

Could you inform me on how to do this (and answer the letterbox question. It'd be nice to know if there's a way).

Excuse the stupidity, I'm quite new at this.

4. dRD

Well, go to our software area, search for SubRip and download it. You might want to visit their homepage as well, there are some tutorials there, but overall tool is very simple to use -- you rip the subtitles off from ripped DVD and convert them into small text file using the software.

Then you simply use some player software or add-on (DirectVobSub (found inside VobSub package) and DivXG400 are great add-ons) that can play subtitles -- normally those let you to select where and how the subtitles will appear as well.

5. loaded

loaded Moderator Staff Member

Can this be done on DVD-VCD, ie not permanently burning the titles on the screen, but making them able to be turned on or off?

Even in more than one language?

6. dRD

No, VCD doesn't support selectable subs -- SVCD does.