1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black CD-R's better

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by squizzle, Jan 21, 2005.

1. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Hi everyone. I did a little searching, but found nothing to answer my question. Are black CD-R's better than others?

From my experiences I have found that I do prefer them over others. I used about 150 Memorex CD-R Black's without any media rot issues, but I found that some CD players didn't like them. Very rare though. Other CD-R's have gotten little bubbles inside the disc that you cannot get out and it wrecks whatever data you have at that point. I first started using the black ones because someone had told me that they handle scratches better, then I found that I get no media rot at all. I probably have found media rot on about 10% of my other CD-R's (out of about 300). Does anyone know for sure?

2. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Memorex colored discs are made by CMC (as I've tested them) & are low quality in my opinion. I couldn't burn them above 24x (& they were marked 48x on the wrapper) without major errors. Go to www.rima.com (ask for some free samples) & try the colored discs they have which are made by Prodisc. I got 2 each red & blue (along with 2 each of some Ritec & TY silver discs)just for asking for a free sample. One pair (red) tested & burned great at 32x (for data)in my TDK 52x VeloCD drive while the other pair (blue) did great for audio at 8x. I stayed at 32x & 8x because the web site doesn't list a max speed. They have black discs (silver top & black on the recording side) so try them & see how they work for you.

3. raiders79

raiders79 Member

is it true that dvd writers wont recognize memorex black cd-r's?

4. lajr1980

lajr1980 Guest

no.
    cd and dvd burners don't see colors red, blu, purple, blk,pink, green, etc. like we do.

all burners only recognize the dye types cyanine, pthaylocyanine, and azo makeups

the color of the disc doesn't make a difference it's the quality and its dye type -btw, all of those color cds use pthaylocyanine dye

5. raiders79

raiders79 Member

okay then why doesn't my hp dvd writer 300n recognize that my memorex blacks are in the drive but my cd-rom does?

6. movies27

movies27 Regular member

My dvd writer recognizes the black memorex.memorex is all i use for my music .i have discs that are over a year old & both my drives sees them.

7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

so do you think they are better than others?

8. movies27

movies27 Regular member

yes I know it.

9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Thanks.

10. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i've used literally 1000s of cheapy CD's over like the last 5years, (along with many brand name CD's), and just about the only problem i've ever had is with bits of the top coating flaking off in parts. I've had my share of discs with CRC errors, but no more than anyone else.

Now if only we could use all manner of DVD media , lol

:)

Last edited: May 24, 2005
  11. cot10

cot10 Member

Black works better for some lenses due to its reflectivity levels or so Ive heard.But Memorex quality is inconsistent and not good for archiving. I also use Rima.com for my disc needs-strictly Prodisc for me.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2005
  12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i forgot to mention. i used to buy traxdata 'black' cd's (black on top and on bottom, and quite durable underneath, a bit like playstation 1 discs.

13. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Well I live in a tropical climate where fungi (or black things inside the cd surface) often "attack" cd's making them unreadable, vendors insist that prodisc Black Cd's (Renamed by Smartbuy) are resistant to this fungi, and indeed I have not seen any fungi in these cd's yet, but time tells, so that is probbably that if you live in tropical climate and fungi is a risk for your cd's you may buy this black CD's and evitate a problem.

14. YOBUZZB

YOBUZZB Regular member

Just chiming in. Used the black memorex w/gold label. Bought 50 on sale. No problems. I just like the color but use memorex a lot.

15. paztelu

paztelu Regular member

Dont use memorex!!!! The companies that make memorex DVD's and CD's are various which inlcude companies that are really low ranked...CMC mag ARGH!! its better to get some smartbuy (prodisc) or if you want to climb higher get some maxell, Tdk or the super verbatim...but dont get memorex...trust me you will regret it later... ;) GL

16. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I've used 100 black CD-R made by Memorex with no problems. They do make crap DVDR media and in my opinion their non-black CD-R are crap also, but the black ones have given me better luck than any other CD-R.

17. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I'll be willing to bet that 100 pack of Memorex black discs you got were made by Prodisc & not CMC. Prodisc makes better quality CDR's.

Last Memorex color CDR's I bought a year ago were made by CMC & would't burn faster than 24x even though they were marked 48x.

18. squizzle

squizzle Active member

could be. Never really checked who made them. I tried to download a CD Identifier proggy but their server just locked up so I said forget it. I can't even find the black CD-R anymore in stores so for me it's a thing of the past. Finally got a chance to check out some TY though. Pretty good so far.