1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

black lines on HD

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by fireman50, Mar 6, 2007.

1. fireman50

fireman50 Regular member

2. bigup132

bigup132 Guest

Before I address anything else, I just want to make sure you're not referring to the aspect ratio of the programming your watching. Not everything on the HD channel is HD. Most ads for example are still in standard defintion and will produce lines on the left and right sides while films shot on one of many widescreen formats will produce bars on the top and bottom, as that is the directors choice. If this isn't the problem, let me know. Cheers.

3. fireman50

fireman50 Regular member

I guess its just the channels then. I just presumed that there shouldnt've been lines on the sides since it happens when watching the actual shows on the HD channels and not just during the commericials.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Make user that your HD cable box is set to output a widescreen video signal (switch the aspect ratio to 16:9) and that your tv is set to fill a widescreen (turn any zoom features off).

Having lines on the left and right means that you are watching Standard Def (SDTV) tv shows. If you know you are watching an HD program that isn't a movie and it has black bars follow the steps above.

-Ced

5. fireman50

fireman50 Regular member

I tried those steps but I still have the same problem.

6. bigup132

bigup132 Guest

Hey Fireman50. It's like Diablos said. With non HD programming you have a choice, you can watch it in its original broadcast format, with the bars (as it was desgined for regular tv's). OR you can use the zoom functions to fill the screen. This doesnt make it HD, it just blows up what you have. There are usually a few choice with zoom such as stretch, vertical stretch, full etc. That all depends on your preference. With me, I keep all programming in its original aspect ratio, as they were intended to be viewed.

With movies, I would never get rid of the bars if they were supposed to be there. If you have bars but the picture looks stretched and the people look fat/wide or thin/tall, then that's not the right format, you may need to zoom or change the screen format to get the right picture.

Depending on your cable settings, it will take some playing around with the variations to get each broadcast to look correct. Best of luck.

7. DSant497

DSant497 Guest

Ya i have this problem too, when im watching HD channels there are 2 black lines at the top and bottom. It can get really annoying.