1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Screen, Sound

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by confused3, Apr 5, 2005.

1. confused3

confused3 Member

I have a fresh install of Windows XP and every video I play is a blank screen with sound. I figured I was missing the right video codecs and downloaded the nimo codec pack, didn't help. Then I unistalled those and downloaded vlc media player, didn't help. I went and hand deleted all my video codecs under Control Panel > Sound and Audio devices. Then I installed Ace Mega Codecs pack, still getting a black screen and sound with every file I play (besides .rm and .mov which I play in realplayer and quicktime) Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm out of ideas, thank in advance.

2. turkey

turkey Regular member

you say .rm and .mov files play fine but what is the file type that is not playing?? and what software is not playing the files that don't play?? have you tried playing the files that don't play with one of the softwares that play other files??

3. pevelius

pevelius Member

propably there is something wrong with your video card drivers and/or direct x. that
    seems like an overlay problem. have you tried to set your video card acceleration to a
    lower setting? that might help to narrow the problem (if videos work with lower
    acceleration settings, then re-install drivers for your card). also run dxdiag via start/run.
    and btw, i sincerely recommend vlc to be the only player for other-than-rm/qt, since it
    doesn´t install stuff in your registry as heavily as codec packs. so, install only those
    codecs that you need in editors/encoding.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005