1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blank dual layer dvd-r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by NikJ, Jun 30, 2007.

1. NikJ

NikJ Member

hey, is it possible to buy blank dual layer dvd-r's (called dvd-9's right)? and if so should they be available locally at electronic stores? and how do i know if my dvd burner can burn onto dvd-9's?

thnx in advance

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Yes you can buy them. You can buy dual layer -R and +R disks.

They are called DVD-R DL or DVD-R9 and DVD+R DL or DVD+R9.

They should be available locally at electronics stores. They are here in England.

You can tell if your burner can burn on to them by

(1) If you have Nero, you may have the Nero Infotool application. Run it and on the "Drive" tab it tells you which disks it can read and write. I found out that my LG GSA-4160B will only read & write DVD+R DL disks, but then it is a 2004 model.

- or -

(2) Looking in the user's manual (the little book that came with the drive)

- or -

(3) Going to the makers web site and looking up the specification for that drive

- or -

(4) Posting the maker and model number here and I will do it for you if you don't know how to use Google.

You should be aware that many people have found that only Verbatim DL disks work reliably on their burners. Some cheaper brands give failed burns, often when starting the second layer.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  3. vtowner

vtowner Regular member

Also only burn them at 2.4x. You will get a lot of expensive coasters if you try to burn higher than that.

4. NikJ

NikJ Member

okay thanks a lot guys