1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blank screen when I start up my new build

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by keltic760, Mar 12, 2012.

1. keltic760

keltic760 Member

I just completed a new PC build and when I started it up to work on the BIOS, nothing appears on the screen and no beeps sound. There is power to the case fans, the CPU fans, the power LED is on and the hard drive LED lights like the HD is reading. I opened it up to make sure everything was connected alright and noticed the ATX 8 pin power wasn't entirely connected to the motherboard. I pushed it in until I heard it click in. I thought that might have been the problem but no luck. I'm using my EDI hard drive and power supply from my old machine

My new build is:

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8 GHz, 3.3 GHz Turbo Core 6 core CPU

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

If I were to make an educated guess my money would go on the RAM since they are not on the motherboards QVL list.

Any ideas or avenues to investigate would very appreciated.

Thanks

2. keltic760

keltic760 Member

Ok, found out that I was attaching my monitor to the motherboards video connection rather than the video card connection. Duuuuhhh!

Anyway, now that computer boots up ok but my USB mouse and keyboard won't respond even though they are getting power.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get a ps2 keyboard so can change the usb settings in the bios? is mouse & keyboard plugged to front or back usb ports?

4. keltic760

keltic760 Member

I don't have a PS2 keyboard to use. I do have a PS2 mouse but that didn't work either. I'm plugging in the mouse and keyboard in the back and even tried using the front ports but no luck. I'm considering installing a PCI USB board in to see if I have any luck with that. Keep it in at least long enough to get the issue with the motherboard USB resolved.

What settings in BIOS would I need to look at and change?

5. ddp

read the motherboard manual but you want the usb to work even in dos mode which should work in all modes as in bios & safemode besides normal windows mode.

6. keltic760

keltic760 Member

I got my USB problem sorted out. I had to go into BIOS and enable Legacy UBS. Now the all of my USB peripherals are working fine and my new PC is up and running! :) Thanks for all of the help and guidance.

7. ddp

no problem, teach & learn.