1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blankity, Blankity, Blankity - DSLinux

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by kitty66, Feb 5, 2007.

1. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Hi Everyone:

I have been reading for hours now and I am still totally confused...I just purchased NDS lite. I got it because I got wind it would run a scaled down linux and this combined with the pink case and touch screen was a sell. So far I have played two video games:) New to me, but I am enjoying the touchscreen interface, very fun.

My issue:

When I run DSLinux it boots to a blank screen and does nothing else. I am using winzip to extract, and this in the wiki is supposed to work, but I still see no home directory in the linux folder on the NDS and I wonder if this is the issue. How do I help it extract correctly or am I just completely on the wrong track.

FYI - Other homebrew apps running ok. (WinS and Drummers) I am also able to access the mp3 files just fine.

I am using MaxMediaDock and MaxMediaPlayer. Is this total crud? I am afraid so...I tried the gbamp file as it said it might work for some max users.

Thank you in advance for any insight you may provide.

EDIT: I am wondering if this is in the right forum. Should I have posted to the OS linux group?

Also, is there a website(s) that maps NDS games. I am a total game idiot (SO SO old and I just started playing) and am having trouble finding out which way to go or where things are in the game(s) (Inuyasha, Castlevania, etc) OR, being a total noob to games is this what you are supposed to figure out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't even find the playing partners I am supposed to have. Phhhht.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  2. whompus

whompus Active member

Using winzip to extract should work but there could be several drawbacks to that way. Your best option would be use linux os to start with and compile it yourself. I would have to say if you do, use deb. I have been going to do it myself for a while now but have not had time. Not sure when I will get time but it is still in my plans to do at some point.

3. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

I don't have a linux OS yet. I have been thinking about partitioning and a dual boot, but when I researched it it was years and years ago. The whole compiling thing confuses me a bit. Do you have a fav DSLinux guide besides the wiki? Also, what would be your fave linux guide.

I have been thinking of FreeBSD...I will look up deb

4. whompus

whompus Active member

To be honest no to both. I dont set much store in linux guides because they can differ from user to user and distro to distro. For you to get started though maybe cruse over to newlinuxuser.com and have some read time. They have a pretty good article on going from windows to debian there.