1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

block web messengers

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by REAM, Feb 10, 2007.

1. REAM

REAM Guest

how do i block web messengers?

do i need a proggy or can my comp just do it.

i am running windows xp home SP2, with Zone alarm security suite as my firewall/spyware/antivirus.

2. REAM

REAM Guest

please

3. ireland

ireland Active member

install Tweak UI under taskbar and start menu uncheck windows messengar,only works in XP

get it here

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

This PowerToy gives you access to system settings that are not exposed in the Windows XP default user interface, including mouse settings, Explorer settings, taskbar settings, and more.

Version 2.10 requires Windows XP Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2003.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  4. REAM

REAM Guest

thanks for that, but i ahve already blocked windows messenger, i was thinking how do you block web messengers like emessenger or ebuddy.

they operate online.

5. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Sounds like you have a case of spyware

I would recommend running the following in the order listed below (ddp suggested this in another thread):

ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/
    cwshredder http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    avg free edition http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/...anti-virus-free
    ad-aware se http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Personal-Edition/3000-8022_4-10399602.html?tag=lst-0-1
    spybot s&d http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html
    online virus & spyware scan http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp

6. REAM

REAM Guest

nop. has nothing to do with spyware, i am fulyl covered. i just want to block the websites. like

www.ebuddy.com
    www.e-messenger.net

7. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Oh ok, I am not sure how (or if you even can) to do that in either Firefox or Internet Explorer directly but I would think some sort of Firewall could do it for you.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want to block those sites?

8. REAM

REAM Guest

i have a 15 year old sister, who chats to her friends and has a file on myspace and hi5, and is now chatting to older males, who are not known to her. i have talked to her about it, and she said she stopped, but i caught by accident once, asking if she could meet te guy. i then blocked msn messenger and windows messenger, but then she started talking to the guy using these web based messengers, so i need to stop the messengers.

9. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Ah, that is a good reason to block those. I will look around on Google in a bit and report what I find. Do you have both Firefox and IE installed on the machine she is using? Is it a Windows PC?

10. REAM

REAM Guest

yes to all. i have windows, firefox and IE

11. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

OK, I will look up how to block sites after I eat dinner. I will post the instructions as well as links when I find them.

12. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Alright, I think I figured it out. From what I can tell you just need to add the sites to your "HOSTS" file. The website MVPS talks about using your "HOST" file to help stop spyware and I assume you could block those websites you mentioned with the same method. I will read over it and re-post what I hope will be an easy to understand tutorial on how to block sites using the host file.

13. REAM

REAM Guest

ok thanks.

14. ireland

ireland Active member

if ye have norton internet security all ye have to do is use parental control
    with that ye can block web sites ye do not want her to go to..and password protect norton..so she can not reset the setting ye did...

Parental Control categorizes Web sites by topic, newsgroups by text string, and Internet programs by type.

When you turn on Parental Control, it blocks any incoming information from restricted Web sites and newsgroups. It also blocks all outgoing information from restricted Internet programs.

Parental Control settings are linked to user accounts. When users log on to their accounts, Parental Control uses the settings associated with the accounts until the users log off.

Symantec updates the list of blocked Web sites regularly. Run LiveUpdate often to ensure that you have the most updated list

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  15. REAM

REAM Guest

the problem is i dont have norton. i have zonealarm security suite.

16. ireland

ireland Active member

i have norton,ye get 3-license to use on diff computers for the same price as i use 3-active computers.......i do not use Parental Control as its not needed in my home,but i know it works..i tested Parental Control....

17. REAM

REAM Guest

i now wish i ahd chosen norton over zonealarm:(

18. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Trust me, you don't. You might want to look into NetNanny, Cybersitter, or the like. Norton's is a horrendous product and you can keep ZA and your probably-better antivirus software as well. If you want to go a cheaper, possibly less-effective route, you can add the following IP filters into ZA:

193.238.160.0/22
    193.238.160/24
    63.219.151.0/24
    66.117.40.0/24
    63.219.151.0/24
    205.234.154.0/24
    8.6.13.0/24
    205.234.170.0/24
    66.231.182.0/24

That'll block those two services you mentioned, which are run by the same people.

19. REAM

REAM Guest

where woudl i add this in ZA?

20. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

I'm not intimately familiar with ZAP having not used it in 3-4 years, but look for "Advanced rules", "IP filters/blocks" or somesuch. The way it works on most firewall is you want to select 'block/filter' and select the IP range, which I gave you. If you get prompted for a network/mask combination, look at those IP addresses and translate them as follows:

Network ID Mask
    193.238.160.0 255.255.252.0
    63.219.151.0 255.255.255.0
    66.117.40.0 255.255.255.0
    63.219.151.0 255.255.255.0
    205.234.154.0 255.255.255.0
    8.6.13.0 255.255.255.0
    205.234.170.0 255.255.255.0
    66.231.182.0 255.255.255.0

Basically it's two different ways of writing the same thing. Some product manufacturers prefer the CIDR notation (my previous post) but some prefer the network/mask thing. Hit me back if you're still having trouble.