1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blockbuster New Security Measures

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by acycler, Nov 23, 2004.

1. acycler

acycler Member

Hello.

A little birdie told me that Blockbuster is now covering its DVD's with a disc-shield product. (AVS Security) He mentioned that they have also incorporated two thin metal bands under the shield. Some sort of additional security measure.

Shame on him but he was telling me that attempts to process such DVD's with Xcopy, Shrink, or Decrypter failed.Apparently some sort of error message about duplicat I/O system failed or something.

Has anyone heard something similar?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I'm not sure who your little birdie is? AVS stands for Address Verification Service i don't think that has any thing to do with DVD's. it also makes no sense what so ever for Blockbuster to invest in something like this. Why would they? Please give me one good reason. For all the people out there that do rent from Blockbuster and then illegally copy their DVD's shame on you. I would tend to believe the opposite is true. Because how much buisness would they loose if they did do this? Blockbuster is not the one hurting from people copying there movies in fact I tend to believe it is the complete opposite. Now if someone from Paramount, Sony, or one of the movie manufactures were to do this I would then understand.... I don't know for sure you could be right if one of those Movie industries owns Block Buster, but I dont think they do last I knew Viacom owned Blockbuster.

3. acycler

acycler Member

These DVD's had the Disc-shield product covering both sides of the DVD's. Property of Blockbuster Video was stamped into the shield. As was AVS Security.

Not certain if the local outlet has reworked all of their DVD's.The last two I saw however were this way.

Interesting in knowing if anyone else has encountered this problem and devised a way around it. Not that this would be in any way the smart, legal or ethical thing to do.

Just curious of course.

4. BlackHood

BlackHood Member

If you can play the dvd in a dvd player you can copy it.. no way you cant copy the movie..

5. acycler

acycler Member

If the problem is not with the disc_shield then it is with the security strip under it.

Either way there is a problem copying these discs. See the attached link for a look at at the disc_shield with the security strip.

http://www.audiovideosupply.com/discshield.htm

6. ntranger

ntranger Member

Well, the link that you posted doesn't state anything about "copy protection". Its a product to prevent scratching, not copying. Also, Blackhood is right, if you can read the DVD in your player, there is nothing to stop you from ripping it at all. Its safe to say, your "little birdie" got some bad smack or something, unless of course, the idiots at the blockbuster he works for installed the shield upside down, then, of course, they will have a hell of a time ripping the dvd's........ they will have a hell of a time playing them in any dvd player as well.........

Nt

7. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

I came across 2 dvds like the one your describing and I have had no problems backing them up, so your birdie is lying.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

@ acycler LMAO !! :) :-0 sorry about that I just had to laugh

I use those covers on disks at work.. They are nothing more than a protective coating for the label side of your disc. There is no security built into these.. This is to funny I'm still LMAO my company uses these same exact covers from the same exact company I have even put a few on my DVD's. To tell the truth they are waste of money as you can go out and buy 200 labels for 30$ and accomplish the same thing. How could something that goes on the label side of the disk effect the burning of the disk, I would have to agree with Blackhood on this if you can read it then you can copy it until the movie companies come out with some new incryption, but then Im sure someone will develope something to crack that as well.

bbmayo
    P.S. i think someone is pulling your chain

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  9. acycler

acycler Member

I do appreciate all of the good feedback. I will let the bird know that the problem he is having must be something other than the disc shield.

This was the first time he had seen this product attached to a dvd. His failure to process the DVD may have been falsely attributed to this.

He mentioned that the underside of the DVD's he was working with had a gold color. (DVD-9?)Could he be having an equipment issue with his DVD burner? Apparently he had no problem watching the DVD.

Does woking with a DVD-9 present any special challenges for De-crypter, Nero or Shrink.

10. ntranger

ntranger Member

Negative, DVD Decrypter will rip DVD-9 disc's, no problem.

11. S2K

S2K Regular member

these shields come in two types. one "protect" the top of the disks from scratches. teh second includees an anti theft strip designed to trigger an doorway alarm ant to prevent shoplifting.

It has nothing whatsoever to with preventing copying, which it is impossible to prevent with disks made for consumer dvd players.

As far as dvd 9, that is what dvd shrink IS made for. you don't need anything but dcss like decrypter, anydvd etc for dvd5. about 90% of blockbuster's pressed disks would be dvd9.

12. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I can make those :) ... I take one of my dvd labels and with a black marker I put two thin stripes across it.

If you put one of those on the bottom of a dvd, the dvd won't be able to be read.

13. kchev

kchev Regular member

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

LMFAO LMFAO :)

Good one Flip :)

I stuck seran rap over my whole disk and stuck in it my burner and presto copy protected :). Of course the burner is now protected too :) LMAO

15. ntranger

ntranger Member

lol, you guys crack me up, all at that poor bastards expense. ;)

Nt

16. alex112

alex112 Guest

Sorry to bust ya'll bubbles. But the little birdie is right. I went to Blockbuster and rented three new releases: Jim Carey's "Eternal Sunshine", Matt Damon's "Bourne Supremacy", and Vin Diesel's "Chronicles of Riddick". Riddick was a success, however both Eternal and Bourne would not copy. For both movies, after 1 or 2% of encoding, DVD shrink either completely dissapeared OR this error came up: [bold]programming error--exception occurred--handle invalid.[/old] I even tried ripping BOTH DVDs to my harddrive with DVD Decrypter, and THEN have DVD Shrink "shrink" them, and the same errors came up. Can somebody please help me find a way beyond this???

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I did them same movies ripping the files with DVD Decrypter and then I used Shrink with no problems. If you can read it you can burn it :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Also try playing them in your DVD player software for 30 sec or so this sometimes helps

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

So did your disk's have seran wrap over the movie side ;-) LOL

20. alex112

alex112 Guest

Did your movies have the Blockbuster AVS Security shield on them?