1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blocky Picture

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bh1ben, Apr 13, 2005.

1. bh1ben

bh1ben Guest

Hi

On some copies that I make there is a frequent blocking of the picture where it goes into small squares and sets the sound off from the picture.

Can someone please tell me why this occurs only on some DVDs and how to stop it from happening?

Many Thanks

Ben

2. Gringle

Gringle Guest

poor media and burning to fast can cause pixelation, I've also done it playing about with DVDSanta, burning a wide screen movie in full screen mode.
    RW disc no loss

Check out the media forum

welcome to AD

gringle;)

3. GlassJar

GlassJar Member

I would say because the movie is compressed too much.
    The less compression the less pixelation. If you cant live with the pixelation Im afriad the only fix is to split your DVDs.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Ben, What gringle and glassjar posted.Keep the burn speed slow,and use quality media. Also add these:

No Multi-tasking-turn off all background apps.
    Fragmented hard drive
    Paper-sticker labels-big no-no
    Try opposite format,if you are capable.
    Dirty laser/weak laser.
    Heet issues.
    Many more possibilities.

Usually the quality media and slow burnspeed does the trick. Highly compressed backups can do this to a few members. Try main-movie only,AC3 5.1 English only-untick the other audio streams,and edit out the beginning and ending credits.

Does the pixellation occur on the playback using a stand alone player? It usually does.

5. bh1ben

bh1ben Guest

The pixelation only occurs on my DVD player not on PS2 or PC.
    Does being connected to the internet counts as a background app also it only happens on some is that due to the compression.

Sorry im only a newbie.

thanks

6. Gringle

Gringle Guest

yep even being connected to the Internet can cause background noise .ie. problems, however if you're copying a program or vidio that has been over-compressed, its pixellation will be on your copy.

If you're burning from an original source, most pixellation is a result of poor media, too fast burning, and as saugmon pointed out...

background noise, chatter, one pc to another,.. firewall intrusion, or false alarm, wow, was that a back door trojan..? nope reassured the AV,
    I met him a milly sec ago, and he seemed alright to me..

PCs' are in constant motion, and communication, when you're burning, best cut em off. LOL gringle:)

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I've got an external modem, so I just click it off. I turned off my screen saver, and shut down my firewall and anti-virus programs.I don't need the internet during the dvd backup process.

I don't know what programs you are using,but if it's dvd shrink, It will use 100% of your processor.

Some members,it makes a difference,others- it don't. By not multi-tasking,it takes away the possibilities of issues.

After trying the above tips,if they don't help, It may be time to buy another stand alone player.That's a last case scenario.The main thing is: You should be able to view your backups on the drive that burned them,and they should look awesome.Some of those stand alone players can be a pain in the A**. Since you only get a little pixellation during some of your backups,it should be an easy fix.

Another thing is, Where exactly is the pixellation? Are they random or are they towards the end of your backups. If at the end,then you will have to reduce your backup target to 4300 Mbs.This is where your media quality comes in. The poorer crappy media has to have a smaller target. The reason is usually uneven dye.
    If randomly,definetely slow down the burn speed until you get some high quality media.

What brand name/speed rate/and format of blank discs are you using?
    How fast do you burn?
    What programs do you use to rip/encode/compress/and burn?
    What are your system specs: Ram/processor speed/hard drive space available/dvd burner?

There are many things that can go wrong during the dvd backup process,again-those stand alones will tell you if they are having a problem reading your backups.

8. bh1ben

bh1ben Guest

Lol!

Thanks

I will try copying a bad one again without the background noise etc and see if it makes a difference.

I dont think it is the media because I am using a good quality media recommended to me and I am burning at 4x.

Thanks

Ben

9. bh1ben

bh1ben Guest

Thanks saugmon.

[bold]What brand name/speed rate/and format of blank discs are you using?[bold] Datawrite Blue V5 DVD-r

[bold]How fast do you burn?[bold] 4x

[bold]What programs do you use to rip/encode/compress/and burn?[bold] DVD Decrypter, Clone DVD & Roxio

[bold]What are your system specs: Ram/processor speed/hard drive space available/dvd burner?[bold] 512MB Ram / 3.2GHz / 80GB Hard Drive / 69.68 GB available / Freecom External DVD Writer

Thanks for all your help by the way.

I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Ben

10. JJenn74

JJenn74 Member

I had the same problem. It turns out that the problem was my old DVD player. It had problems with DVD+Rs but DVD-Rs play fine. Try using the opposite of what you are currently using, then try playing the bad DVDs in a newer DVD player.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Most common causes of pixelation are:

Overcompression: try backing up movie only, edit out some extras or use a better encoder (RB/CCE, DVDCopy3)

Poor quality media: try good, high quality, proven media (Verbatum DLP, Taiyo Yuden, Maxell, Fuji, Sony)

Burning too fast: slow burns to 4x, 2x

BTW why do I always get that damn advertisement right before my post?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  12. tsawyer

tsawyer Guest

New to the site & the process of burning DVDs,
    a friend told me about this place.
    I'm having similar problems but I think Gingle & Saugmon have given me enough to correct the issue.
    Great advice! Great Forums!
    Thanks!!!

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello tsawyer, welcome to AD. Everything listed in this thread should fix most playback issues.I forgot about posting about the spyware. That stuff can really mess us up.
    The majority of issues is a result of poor quality media.Stick with the good stuff like taiyo yuden,verbatim data life plus,maxell,and fuji and that will eliminate the majority of issues.If none of these takes care of your issues,then it is time to buy another stand alone player.

Just come on back. There are many free programs,tools,guides, and advice from members on just about anything pc related here.

Later

14. Gringle

Gringle Guest

Nice well wrote reply saugmon, I concur and figure that's why we's here..
    gotta get me one, of them siggy things, with pointed eyes, and golden wings,..

gringle:}