1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blocky Playback / Long load time / WinXP codec management

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Totenkopf, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Totenkopf

Totenkopf Member

I always get blocky playback when I play divx movies on WMP (XP version), ZoomPlayer, and BSPlayer, but they all play smoothly on Divx Player. I have DivX 3.11, Divx 5.1, and XVID codecs installed. ffdshow alpha filter didn't help smooth the playback either.

Also, some movies take an incredibly long time to load (but would play eventually), and some movies won't even load on the majority of the players except for some (ie. ZoomPlayer).

So my question is, why are there inconsistencies in playing movies with different players and what one player+codecs do you recommend to play EVERYTHING (including .mpeg extensions) perfectly?
    Also how do I manage (ie. delete) codecs in WinXP?

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Did you download the latest ffd show alpha dated from march something or other? I believe there were some problems with previous builds. Also do you have the latest xvid alpha (preferably koepi's dated june something or other)? I use bsplayer and that works great for avi's. Powerdvd does well with vcd's. As far as managing codecs, just uninstall whatever you installed. Also what type of hardware do you have and are you updated with latest directx which can effect video performance?.

3. Kingd

Kingd Guest

Oh by the way, inconsistencies occur because everybody is different. Not every player uses the same methods to play video and audio. Also versions of codecs are important as sometimes a newer build is not working while an older one works fine. Also older systems can have alot of trouble because newer codec versions are intensive to decode and take up alot of processing power.

4. shabbir

shabbir Member

In media player 6.4, it is playing VOB files for windows 2000. But I want to play .VOB files in media player 9 latest. Any one help me on this. In mdeia player 6.4, when i used codic that is (http://www.digital-digest.net/downloads/files/encode/VOB_Filters_104.zip), then it is working fine. But it is not working for media player 9. Any idea about this.

5. shabbir

shabbir Member

In media player 6.4, it is playing VOB files for windows 2000. But I want to play .VOB files in media player 9 latest. Any one help me on this. In mdeia player 6.4, when i used codic that is (http://www.digital-digest.net/downloads/files/encode/VOB_Filters_104.zip), then it is working fine. But it is not working for media player 9. Any idea about this.

6. runner57

runner57 Member

when you install power dvd, which plays VOB's, media player will from theron use the installed power DVD files. Power DVD is easy to find (Kazaa etc.). Don't forget to make power dvd 4 compatible with xp --right click on the program icon --> properties --> compatibility -- WINDOWS NT