1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-Ray. Can THEY make it hard to decrypt?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by ChimpyD, Nov 24, 2005.

1. ChimpyD

ChimpyD Guest

I just had a thought. Could there be another reason why the Corps. are releasing these scheduled larger-sized media (new DVD-formats) other than just adding more media onto them? Aside from the media on the disc, if they put in larger, more complex copy-protections and filled the rest of the disc with random data, would it take a longer while (maybe months or years) until someone can crack it. I know it's probably unlikely, especially because most people would have to buy the hardware for Blu-Ray, but sifting through all that data seems tough. Don't get me wrong, I hope someone does find a way, but I noticed the recent trend of companies switching over from development for the HD DVD format to Blu-Ray and couldn't help but feel a little worried. 'Course, I could be wrong about everything, but does anyone know what's likely to happen?

---------------------------------------------------------

R.I.P. DVD Decrypter. Thanks, Lightning UK.

2. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

It'll be harder to crack because it's completely new and there will have to be new programs made for it and then someone has to write cracking software. It'll take some time but in a year or two after PCs get Bluray drives it will be done.

3. arcanix

arcanix Active member

Harder than dvd? Sure. Impossible? Hell no.

DvdJon has to update his nick to BlurayJon soon.

4. Datdude

Datdude Member

it's supposed to be harder cuz the keys actually work instead of dvd css whatever it's called somone will crack it in no time they can't make it that hard cuz then they would run into problems with paying customers not being able to play the media

5. evilh0ly

evilh0ly Regular member

i bet there's gonna be full of dummy files too plus some new protection layer.

6. downward

downward Guest

Both will use multi-level copy protection

AACS- a new encryption technology will be used for both and then each one has seperate add-ons.

they will not make the same mistakes as in CSS

downward

7. arcanix

arcanix Active member

And in a week we will see a 15-line perl code that decrypts it ^_^

8. downward

downward Guest

Has anyone broken the CPPM copy protection for real DVD-Audio not DD 5:1 ? the answer is........no

downward

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I think thats do to the fact the best people for the job probably don't care about DVD-A. BD and HD-DVD will be much more popular. But thats just my opinion.

Ced

10. downward

downward Guest

that's always the reply... but CSS was limited by the US govt because 128 bit encryption could not be used when the cp was developed due to some strange law about exporting the technology so they were stuck with crappy CSS, a few years later CPPM was used for DVD-A and still remains un-cracked. The new technologies are multi-layered with a better understanding of how things are hacked. I can't get into details due to NDAs but when these things come out you'll see

downward

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

12. drunkfish

drunkfish Member

The old adage applies, if you can watch it you can copy it and if you can listen to it you can copy it as well.
    With all the effort that will go into being the first to break the encryption im sure it will get cracked fast.
    Far too many talented crackers out there!

13. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

It's like saying there is a taller mountain than Everest out there and someone will climb it. I don't care how complex DRM on both formats will be-it can and will be cracked.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  14. mark8766

mark8766 Member

Here! Here!

15. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Slysoft is probably cracking Blu-Ray/HD as we speak....I would not be surprised.:p

16. diabolos

diabolos Guest

DVD was one thing, HD-DVD & Blu-Ray is another. Why does the copy protection on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs need to be cracked?

Ced

17. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

The reference to "Cracked" or perhaps a better term "Hacked", applies in terms of unchartered water media wise as well as what ultimatley takes place from the technical side to allow for anyone outside of the manufactures to reproduce either HD/DVD or BLU-RAY/DVD. I agree that someone will, if not already has achieved this feat. In my estimation it is those closest to the technology who discover how to hack into or crack the encryption and not just for the everyday joe to make up back-up copies.

The way I see it, It's almost an antidotal approach by it's creators i.e. a key or remedy to that which is otherwised locked media. Now how it eventually leeks out to other hackers or everyday joe's, I believe is related to flawed business relationships. With the hacking of these products and technology working against the corporate structure manufacturing these products like that of an Achilles heel.:p

18. drunkfish

drunkfish Member

when i said cracked i meant that there will be a way to circumvent the copy protection so people can use their right to make backups of movies they have purchased.

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  19. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

It'll be a while before we can "back up" these DVDs, since theres gonna be more space i expect a more complex copy protection, but its just a matter of time before its cracked

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest

And thats my point. If the DRM already allow users to make a back-up or at least a hard drive backup so it can be used on other equipment on a network what reason would there be to crack the copy protection? DVD copy protection was cracked because it was too restrictive and took away the consumers basic use rights.

DVD Jon helped crack CSS, the copy protection used on DVDs (except DVD-Audio discs), so he could watch DVDs on his PC. His work was used to create all of the the DVD rippers that now exsist. People call it DeCSS.

Ced