1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blu ray discs and burning

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by bucknut88, Dec 25, 2009.

1. bucknut88

bucknut88 Member

is it possible to be able to burn full length blu-ray movies onto a single layer disk do to the high cost in the blu-ray dl....

also i am new to this

please help me

2. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Yes....it will take an awful long time as the a full BLU-RAY disc is 35 to 50GB with menu, trailers and special features, and will need to be compressed (depending on the title and encryption). I would try main movie only onto a single layer 25GB BLU-RAY disc. ComPression is the enemy as it takes up way too much time for anyone to enjoy backing up their BLU-RAY movie titles. Converting your BLU-RAY disc or file to HD MKV is another option but again it will take up major time. It takes me on average using like sized media no compression 2.5 to 3hrs to back up a BLU-RAY title.

Without like sized media and compression factored in to complete your conversion or simple BLU-RAY back up, it can take anyone anywhere from 6 to 25hrs to complete a single BLU-RAY back up....that's riduculous but true. I use AnyDVD/HD and DVDFAB BLU-RAY to BLU-RAY as this in my experience the most time friendly combination of potent true BLU-RAY decrypting software. It other words these software works. No dicking around messing up expensive BLU-RAY media. Your end result will be a beautiful BLU-RAY viewing experience. My BLU-RAY back ups play in all my BLU-RAY devices from my PC's to my standalone player."GOOD LUCK"!

3. bucknut88

bucknut88 Member

Thanks so I pretty much have to use Blu Ray dl to get the whole movie on there and then wait for hours for it to burn cuz I have DVD fab which works well anything wake I need to know

4. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Yeah the file structure is a bit more complex than a standard definition DVD disc. I have yet to find or use a BLU-RAY back-up software that can back up the entire BLU-RAY title 5OGB (menu, trailer, and special features) without the software crashing or either taking up an immense amount of time. So I'm back and fourth between 50GB and 25GB BLU-RAY disc as the main title alone including HD audio but minus anything else can easily exceed 25GB. So it depends on the the BLU-RAY title.

5. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

Couldn't you just rip the entire disk to hdd with anydvd HD and then create an iso out of the files anydvd makes with imgburn. Then just burn the iso again with imgburn, or will imgburn not set the layer break correctly?

6. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Maybe, but if the process you reference involves compression I'll pass. Image Burn has been a headache for me with BLU-RAY back ups in the past.....I am in the closing hour of a back up 1st for me. I am completing an entire BLU-RAY disc back up with menu and special features. The title is I,ROBOT. Which for some reason has been a problem backing up as movie only?I used AnyDVD/HD to back up the disc to file and DVDFAB BD to BD to rip the file to 5OGB BD-RE (REWRITABLE)BLU-RAY media. A great must have for trial and error's that occur. Disc messes up, won't play? Just erase it and do what ever again. Complete a final back with on disc printed artwork once I create a master on the BD-RE REWRITABLE BD disc.

7. GrkGorila

GrkGorila Member

Would a BluRay DVD Duplicator do the job? Have you looked into it as a possible solution? If so, what are your thoughts - effective at backing up your BluRay/DvDs or not worth it?

8. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Not sure what you mean by duplicator, But my initial attempt to back up a full BLU-RAY title trailers, menus, and special features failed. In an attempt to figure out why, I learned about and had my 1st experience with ISO files. This was a back uption that often confused me. Many if not all the back up software I use offers this option and in all my experience I would look away from this option to create DVD or BD back ups. AnyDVD/HD gives you the option to back up your BD or DVD movie titles using ISO image files. Using this option for the 1st time, I was able to back up I,ROBOT which had been a problem prior to me successfully using ISO back up option.

I used DVDFAB BD to BD "FULL DISC" option and the BD ISO file option using AnyDVD/HD to successfully complete my back up. The only down side is I have not learned of a way to do ISO "MOVIE ONLY". The fill disc option includes the useless warnings found on all DVD and BD movie titles. I usually delete them. Prior to using the ISO feature I had no way of completing a "FULL DISC" BLU-RAY back up. So far DVDFAb's BD to BD software does not support any other option for BD "FULL DISC" back up.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  9. GrkGorila

GrkGorila Member

I'm trying to figure out if a DVD Duplicator would provide a good and perhaps speeder solution to backing up a BluRay...it just looks like it would take an enormous amout of time using some of the software related solutions that I've read about. I was wondering if perhaps the individuals here had any insight as to its merits (DVD Duplicator/Duplication). A DVD Duplicator is a standalone unit which has all the features of a burner - if you do a search for BluRay DVD Duplicator you will come up with several manufactures and online stores which sell them. Below is the description of a model I was trying to research but can't find any reviews and I don't want to sink $700 into it if only to be left disappointed. What are your thoughts?

Product Description Blu-ray DVD Duplicator (Premium Line) built-in LG 6X Blu-ray DVD Burner

Introducing the high powered Premium Line standalone Blu-ray DVD Duplicator . It is not only the most advanced duplicator on the market, but is extremely simple to use. With the ability to copy all CD configurations including CD+G, all DVD configurations including Dual/Double Layer discs, and Blu-ray discs, this duplicator is the perfect solution for your duplication needs. The easy to operate control panel offers many advanced features such as; AutoCopy, Load and Copy, Account Management, Hard Drive Partition Naming, and much much more. The system offers the largest memory buffer of any unit available today with 128MB on our standard models and 256MB on special models (12~ 15 Target). Beyond the attractive look of this powerful duplicator, the aluminum casing provides the highest protection against heat and dust, two of the most dangerous elements for a duplicator. This allows the unit to provide optimal performance for an extended period of time.
    pointed.

10. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Okay your referencing a particular type of CD/DVD/BLU-RAY burner/tower. These towers do not decrypt original titles. So in order for you to use it (this includes some CD's that also require decrypting in order for you to back them up). You'll need to understand the various software's available for backing up CD/DVD/BLU-RAY titles. Yes it takes some time to back up original titles to your hard drive as the titles will 1st need to be decrypted. Even if you make 1 for 1 or 1 for 10 back up, (disc to disc) you'll need to decrypt the original title. BLU-RAY takes some time period. A BLU-RAY back up is no less than 18GB minimum(Normally just the "Main Movie")which is twice the size of a standard non-compressed store bought DVD.

BLU-RAY titles are stored on 50GB disc that allow for you to enjoy the full HIGH DEFINITION resolution that makes up a BLU-RAY disc. BLU-RAY media or blanks are expensive $3 to $20.00 (IMPORTED)a disc depending on the size of the disc and if they are rewritable.SD DVD (Regular everyday store bought DVD) are stored on 8.5GB DVD disc. The common back up method is to compress the title down to a 4.7GB disc or to back up your titles to either your internal or external hard drive. It's all worth it what ever your approach but it takes time to learn the different methods and software's available to you. You mention a all-in-one tower that burns CD/DVD and BLU-RAY for $700.00? That's a steal....but it's not going to perform magic. You'll 1st need to learn how to back up CD/DVD and BLU-RAY media.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  11. water_boy

water_boy Member

Hi Folks...

Newbie here...Happy New YEar to you all !!

Is there a certain spec of PC needed for buring blu ray, I dont want my PC to come to a grinding halt for 3 days as it tries to rip 1 movie.

Any advice would be helpful please, thanks.

12. shag9499

shag9499 Member

n2dvd, what write and read speads are you working with? im looking into the same setup you have. i as well dont want to get into compressing the files and want to be able to use the backup on any bd player. i dont mind the time involved with the back up as i usually start them before bed. also what type drive and media you are using? thanks

13. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

@shag9499 I burn BLU-RAY @ 2X and 4X as my 25GB and 50GB BD disc media allow. I own a few 50GB DL BD-RE rewritable media to create my initial back ups...rewritable to guard against expensive write errors. The key to quick BD back ups is "O" compression. CompressIon robs your BD back-up of precious time. I use AnyDVD/HD to create a m2ts file or ISO file. Any movie over 23700GB of a 25GB BD disc I back up to 50GB BD media. I have single BD BUFFALO burner that can burn up to 6X. My computer is an older SONY VAIO desk to PC 3.2 processor speed w/hyper thread technology, 2GB of memory and I back up to 1TB hard drive.

14. shag9499

shag9499 Member

what model buffalo do u have? and u use the rewriteable ones to make sure the write is fine before writeing on a regular bd right? makes sence to me. and anyhd/dvd is the only software u run? no compression so no need for the other crap right? how good is anydvd with the encryption? i have it for dvd but was wondering if they crakc the blu rays about the same as they do dvds as they release. not sure how much hd space ill have free so i may need to look into an external hd for storage as well. where do you purchase your writer and media?

15. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

I have the Buffalo BRHC-6316U2...read my review link on the left....AnyDVD/HD version is the best in my opinion for ripping BLU-RAY media. I purchased my BD media from Ebay,,,, & runtechmedia.....search "import blu-ray media"....Yeah I have both 1TB internal and external...got my my BD burner and hard drives from buy.com.....goood luck on the drive....I don't know anyone who carries it anymore...."great drive"....I've had mine since late last year. I also use DVDFAB BD to BD to burn BD fileS to BD MEDIA another best in my opinoion....I hope this helps...also do a google search for ..imported blu-ray media....this should bring up a couple of sites.

16. shag9499

shag9499 Member

ok n2dvd i just bought an external panasonic blu ray writer 6x model uj-240. question is none of the media i see says its compatable??? is this a common problem, campatibility with drives?

17. ishareso

ishareso Guest

spam edited by ddp

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2010
  18. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

@shag9499....I'm not clear as to what you mean?

19. Cookieboy

Cookieboy Regular member

So...how long would it roughly take to rip an iso from a Blu Ray disc (50Gb) and then burn it to a Bd-Re at 4x??

20. N2DVD

N2DVD Regular member

Depending on your PC's processor speed, It could take 2.5 to 3.5 hours mainly because you are omitting the need to compress file. Though many people who back up BLU-RAY don't see this benefit because they opt to compress there BD files to DVD? and or 25GB BD-R. Compression alone adds minimum 3hrs to your BD back-up time as your compressing no less than 16GB (MAIN MOVIE MINIMUM) or FULL DISC w/menu and special features.