1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu ray Media

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by jjfreak5, May 24, 2010.

1. jjfreak5

jjfreak5 Member

I am curious as to what you guys have found is good blu ray blank media. I have not used any, but stumbled across some Memorex for a great price. I know that Memorex DVDs and CDs in my experience have been crap, but just wondered about the BD-Rs.

Also wondering about Verbatim LTH media. I have found these for cheap too, but I heard they aren't compatible with some burners. I am going to check to see if mine is or not when I get home from work. I was just wondering about playback. If they are compatible with my burner would they playback in most all Blu Ray players?

Thanks

2. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I purchased a batch of Memorex BD's which have been working ok so far. The manufacturers ID tags them as Ritek(RITEK-BR2-00) which you can use to search it for quality. A brand name doesn't determine if a disc is good or bad because in the end the manufacturer is responsible for making them. Although Ritek has a history of making decent media only time will tell how good it really is, but for now it seems to working fine since I've had no coasters yet.

[​IMG]

3. Javakiko

Javakiko Member

Stay away from Mirror BD-R's, my Pioneer drive wouldn't recognise them, even after a firmware upgrade, emailed Mirror, got no reply, cheers!

4. sgriffith

sgriffith Member

Stay away from Win Data as offered by Microcenter. They will fail everytime you attempt to copy a Blu ray movie.

5. Imacer

Imacer Member

Go with Verbatim.

6. SylviEsme

SylviEsme Member

A Blu-ray Disc is a high density optical disc format for the storage of digital media, including high definition video.Blu ray means the laser used to scan the disc to play it, in standard definition it's a red laser and in blu ray high def it's blue that way thy call it blu ray

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

SylviEsme, remove that scam link from your sig ASAP as per forum rules. posts edited.

8. LDee

LDee Regular member

Can we have an update on good reliable BD-R please.

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I've found Taiyo Yuden LTH 4X media to be very good(now 6X is available). Verbatim is very good. Philips(optical quantum) is accepted by many BD players(I wonder about longevity though). Ritek I've not had the best of luck with, but it seems ok(I wonder about longevity though). Digistor(CMC MAG media) archive for life 1 - 6X seems ok. I haven't tested the Digistor much, but it does seem agreeable. I think a decent scratch might render them unusable though. Taiyo Yudens and Verbatims do very well. I've tested all these medias. I'm about to test the 6X Taiyo yudens in about 2 weeks. I expect they'll be as good or better than the 4X discs :D A shame that they're not hub printable though :(

Something to note about Taiyo Yuden LTH media. My Samsung player does not support LTH media, but it plays the Taiyo Yuden media. That says something about how good their discs are if you ask me :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011