1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu Ray - Should we be worried?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Disc_Jock, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Disc_Jock

Disc_Jock Member

ok i've heard all about blu ray, read all the articles etc etc but will the internet community be able to crack it? i mean this is what most of us have feared an uncrackable dvd yeah? i know we don't have to worry about this for a while but sooner or later retailer's and video stores are going to start implementing blu ray so the question is will this be the end of pirated dvd movies?

I'm just concerned, and all i'm looking for is some assurance that there is a way to get around this new form of encryption.

2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

of course it will be cracked. anything connectable to a computer can be spread to another computer. It may yake time, but I wouldn't worry. And pirate movies will always spread around.

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I'm not paying $20 for a blank Blu-ray disc to burn a 1980s movie that costs $10 for the DVD movie. It already takes me 45 minutes to rip a DVD. I'm not spending 5 times that long to rip anything.

4. c4iscool

c4iscool Member

Blu-ray and Hd-dvds scare me. I was reading on the internet about how the blueray/hd-dvd players will need a internet conntection and will send information back to the studios if the player has been modded. That's some crazy stuff! I know this stuff will be cracked in time, but I think I'll stick with dvds till they are cracked.

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i'm more worried the crappy movies that keeps coming out.

6. senjutsu

senjutsu Guest

everything is breakables, thats why you can install linux on your psp and play games ISO on it :D thats why you can play elf files on your ps2 and playback copys, thats why you can rip dvds to playback for your home dvd player :D so yeah, don't worry, blue rays and hd-dvds are not anti-hackers, lol. nothing will be! because if they dont let nothing pass by, them their program is conpletly sealed! why someone would invest money in something they can't even format like they want, or back-up what they want, nobody would pay for this, lol. so don't fear, just hope hd-dvd die so blue ray can be the only format ( same price now, and much more power than hd-dvd, because 2 format is a hassle ) and hole the ps3 will do sales ( it help to sell blue rays ) :D

7. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

In a way I kind of like the idea of Blu-Ray the capacity is endless it seems.The problems we should worry about is space I fear,and also boot code probably dealing with a game console it will probably take awhile to figure out a technique to trick the console.I would love to get a hold of a press machine for media,but the cost is just way too expensive.Unless you hook up a harddrive to one of the game consoles refering to PS3 or even the media players that will support Blu-Ray.I don't see it happening anytime soon when they first come out.The problem is going to be cost and free space requirements.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  8. L-Burna

L-Burna Active member

Oh and c4cool I highly doubt an internet connection is going to be used often or even needed to make any type of backup.I am sure it is there to transfer global images back and forth to companies and so forth with next gen internet connections probably.The next gen media will probably be around when internet connections change in time also.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  9. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

Bluray will be cracked in time. I wouldn't think it's possible to get pirated Bluray movies though. Possibly downloads online but I believe Toshiba got the Bluray to store 100GB. Next year Bluray and HD-DVD players will be available. HD-DVD and Bluray drives for the PC will probably only come in 2007. Burners in 2008-2010. Then there's media. Now it's hard to find dual layed DVDs and when you do they cost a lot. It'll be the same. So in the end the best way is to hope that people will use Bluray drives for the PC and find a way to make an image. Then make that available online. But still normal Sony's Bluray uses maximum about 40-50GB so that's still a lot to download. Can get a lot of bundle Blurays. Like all the Rambo movies ever made on one Bluray disc.

10. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

Of course itll be. What hasnt? And as for the 50Gig files, u can always bet on new forms/ways of compression. :D

11. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

True but you'll lose quality. And that's bad.

12. gamename

gamename Regular member

well the way i hope it works out for the short term is there is a burner that will read the blueray and burn to a dl dvd. think about it, even with compression 8.5 gb with main movie only will still be better quality than dvds u buy now. and u can still play them on ur dvd player u have now. this would be a win-win situation for me, and everybody who doesnt have alot of money.

13. PirateDan

PirateDan Member

Well I just got done reading the Nov 2005 issue of PC World in which they talk about the two new formats. Plus the new protection they will have on them. Also the fact that you will need a new monitor and have to have Windows new program Vista in order to view movies on HD-DVD & Blu-ray. You can find more info about this at PC World's website just type in AACS in the search and see what the Evil Empire of Sony has in store for us.

14. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

Really??? Why would it need Vista??? Logically all it would need was the drive and a HD LCD as a monitor to experience it fully. Plus who wants to watch a HD movie on their PC. Just watch it on your HDTV. And get one of those with digital in so you can also use it as a PC monitor.

15. diabolos

diabolos Guest

You need a new monitor and Operating system that both support HDCP! The monitor must also have a DVI-HDCP port. The DVI port must be a digital port (DVI-I or DVI-D) to be capable of being HDCP compient. I don't know of any CRT monitors that use digitl DVI inputs. Most comnputer monitors use analog DVI inputs (DVI-A).

The opreating system must support AACS and be able to decode the water-marking system used in HD-DVD.

Read these...

HD displays and next gen formats:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6909.cfm

HD-DVD and Watermarking:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/6999.cfm

FYI:

HDCP:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

AACS:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AACS

Ced

16. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

It doesn't really matter anyway. It's not that bad for two reasons....
    1. You can just choose to play HD-DVD and Bluray movies on a HD-DVD player of Bluray player which is easier
    2. PC games will soon move over to HD on Vista. And Vista already has a high requirement for your PC. And if you want to make your PC play next gen DVDs you'll end up with a gaming machine anyway. I remember that Vista recommends at least 2GB of RAM, at least 512MB video card memory and a 64-bit processor. So in the end it doesn't really matter. Hardcore PC gamers who move over right away will be all set to play next gen DVD movies on the PCs except for one thing. Currently there are no HDTV computer screens available.

17. dude845

dude845 Regular member

for sure some one smart will crack it:)

18. kaspar

kaspar Guest

gamename. the video bit rate on the blu-ray discs are 30bits compared to 4-8bit on a dvd-9. the compression quality would would not be all that better than buying a 2 disc dvd-9 set (2-disc sets usually come with all special features on the second disc.)

and if you want to compress the blu-ray down then you would need dl dvd burner and a blu-ray drive. they will not make a drive that will play blu-ray discs and burn dl dvds. they would have to pu to different lasers in the drive.

19. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That just not true. Most PC monitors go well beyound 1920x1080 and those that don't can handle 1366x720 without a problem. Lets not forget about the HDTVs that have PC inputs (VGA, DVI, and/or HDMI).

20. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

I don't really know much about HDTV monitors but it was in an article for the requirements of Wndows Vista my friend found. The monitors they need are supposedly very rare and only like one or two at the time. Maybe that's because of an input thing so I'm not sure.