1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-ray to .mkv (yes I searched)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by TylerM, Mar 11, 2009.

1. TylerM

TylerM Member

I need instructions to rip my Blu-ray collection to .mkv container files. My goal is that I have the main film converted to an .mkv file that contains a 1080p video stream and 5.1 surround sound. ALL (that I can see) the tutorials I find don't explain how to get a 1080p video stream and 5.1 surround sound (simple as that) into one .mkv file. There is no burning involved just Blu-ray to .mkv. It seems like the tutorials get you to the point right after ripping the Blu-ray to the hard drive and leave the encoding options up to you without further explanation of what options do what, they lead you to another page and another page, etc. THEN they go on to converting the re-encoded files into an .mkv. It gets you all convuluted... Is there a tutorial that explains exactly what I want?

I purchased AnyDVD HD and downloaded RipBot264 and tsMuxer. I don't know what to do for video encoding options or what audio stream to use, how to get subtitles, etc.

2. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

What is your desired target size?

3. TylerM

TylerM Member

7-8 GB would be awesome. But would go up to 10GB if I could fit better quality audio and video in there.

4. odin24

odin24 Regular member

How do you plan on watching the mkvs... PC, TV via media server (media box or PS3). There are a few ways to go about this. Please provide some more details on your setup... including how you will be listening to your movies.

We'll also need basic specs on your PC, there will be encoding involved, some methods can take an extremely long time depending on your PC's capabilities.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  5. TylerM

TylerM Member

My PC:
    Intel Q6600 CPU
    8GB G. SKill RAM
    nVidia 8800GTX
    320GB HDD (OS/Apps)
    500GB HDD (Movies/Music Videos)
    500GB HDD (Music/Games)
    160GB HDD (e-Books and diagnostic tools)

I will be playing these on my PC. I have 5.1 Logitech system. I have an HDCP compliant 24" monitor. Anything else you need to know?

6. TylerM

TylerM Member

*cricket* *cricket*

7. odin24

odin24 Regular member

This guide deals with re-encoding a BD/HDDVD rip to a smaller file, mostly for making a AVCHD disc, however you can still use the same re-encoded stream along with your desired audio stream and remux using mkvmerge. The download has all of the apps required to re-encode as well... some/most may be out of date, the bundle was put together about a year ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=60776733ace23841ab1eab3e9fa335caf9c80eeef15dd78c

8. spitfire_

spitfire_ Member

Some keywords, I once took for myself (I used these steps to create an MKV-File that would fit on a DVD-9)

Extraction using eac3to HdBrStreamExtractor
    - Have AnyDVD running and extract from BD directly, or first rip to HD using AnyDVD
    - Use Blu-ray Stream Extractor to extract Movie, audio (subs are better downloaded as SRT from internet-sources) and chapters
    - AC3 is preferred if size matters (target = DVD), but DTS also works perfectly

Re-Encoding using MEGui and AviSynth
    - Ignore audio
    - AC3 tracks can be used directly in the muxxing-step.
    - Downsampling AC3 to something other than 640 won't work (at least not on my system)
    - Create Avisynth-Script:
    - Tools, AviSynth script creator
    - choose the extracted video file
    - Input DAR automatically correct
    - default avisynth profile *scratchpad*
    - crop, auto crop: will remove black bars (video will simply be less high,less space wasted)
    - Resize: 1280 wide, leafe height empty and instead click suggest Resolution (due to cropping it won't always be 720)
    - Apply auto Preview for verification
    - Filters: Source type is progressive -> interlase not checked, "do nothing"
    - even if analysis suggests something, don't use it! Interlacing a progressive movie results in choppy play.
    - Resize Filter Lanczos4 or Lanczos
    - May add noise reduction
    - Example see below
    - make sure "on save close and load to be encoded" is checked!
    - Profile selection
    - Use Profile x264: Standalone-Blu-ray
    - File Format MKV
    - Bitrate Calculator
    - Tools, Bitrate Calculator
    - Add extracted audio tracks here (will only be needed for calculation)!
    - Choose Filesize DVD and substract ~1kbit/s from the calculated bitrate to have space for the subtitles
    - Apply
    - Verify that the new bitrate has been applied to the profile, update the profile (on exit)
    - Enque -> go to queue and start
    - Careful: FFdshow Encoder options are ignored, but DECODER options will be used! Deactivate every undesired effect
    before starting encoding process!

Muxing
    - Tools, Muxer, MKV
    - Select the compressed video-file, audio-tracks (add by right clicking on Audio 1), subtitle (srt) and chapters
    - Choose output file
    - queue and start

Playing
    - using mediaplayer classic with ffdshow (VLC does not support AVC at the moment)
    - For 1280, any output mode will work fluently
    - for 1680, modes other than overlay will be jerky (at least on beamer - due to downscaling?). Overlay mode works fluently.

Avisynth-Example script for 1280 * x (HD720)
    DirectShowSource("G:\DVDs\Wanted\Versuch 2\1_2_video.mkv", fps=23.976, audio=false)
    #deinterlace
    crop( 0, 132, 0, -132)

Lanczos4Resize(1280,544) # Lanczos4 (Sharp)
    Undot() # Minimal Noise

Avisynth-Example script for 1680 * x
    DirectShowSource("G:\DVDs\Wanted\Versuch 2\1_2_video.mkv", fps=23.976, audio=false)
    #deinterlace
    crop( 0, 132, 0, -132)

Lanczos4Resize(1680,720) # Lanczos4 (Sharp)
    #denoise

Quality: a bit sharper than HD720, maybe colors a bit less saturated, but very hard do see a difference

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  9. TylerM

TylerM Member

Your tutorial seems to show an example that results in a 720p file. How come my friends have 1080p files with 5.1 surround that fit on a DVD-9? Thanks though for all that info... I'm going to be trying that now.

10. spitfire_

spitfire_ Member

You can use it for any resolution you like. Just change the numbers in the avisynth script. I just chose 720, because my projector only supports HD-720, so I didn't want to waste space on resolution my gear does not support.

Just consider that if you crop your movie to get rid of the black bars, you won't get 1920 x 1080, but rather 1920 x something smaller than 1080. The Avisynth script creator should calculate that number automatically if you hit auto crop.

Maybe it's not even necessary to crop the movie, since a uniformly black area won't take much space.

Best regards

- spitfire

11. TylerM

TylerM Member

So if I choose not to crop at all it will just keep the resolution the same and just do a reencode without changing the size? Is there an option for that?

12. spitfire_

spitfire_ Member

Precisely, just leave all the options in 'Crop&Resize' empty, and it will use the original resolution.

Regards
    - spit