1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu ray vs DVD (which is better?)

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Nameme, Apr 26, 2006.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

My understanding is...

Its not for all discs. The internet option is used so that if the encryption keys become compromised then the Blu-Ray camp can change them altogether instead of using broken keys (like DVDs CSS keys).

The players would need to be updated before they could play the new discs using the new encryption key.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2006
  2. mudearies

mudearies Guest

hd dvd = 15gb per layer.
    blu-ray = 25gb per layer.
    blu-ray the most support...

blu-ray wins. nuff said.

3. meyer_m

meyer_m Regular member

Now that I think about this more I think people might be over-exaggerating the protections.
    As has been stated, the internet connection is probably for services in the form of online rental services except, instead of a disc, they are streamed the data from online renters such as Netflix.
    As for the watermark, I doubt it will actually be read by the laser. Like the PS2, it will probably show the Blu-Ray symbol almost transparently on the data side of the disc (just like you can make out the PS2 logo on the data side). It would probably just be used to determine authenticity through the eye approach: won't affect reading the game but one could determine this way if it is a faked disc.

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No the watermark has to do with data protection. The watermark has to be on the disc in the data section of the disc. Its not a hologram logo. If there is no watermark the player won't read the disc at all!

Read this for more info...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Digital_rights_management

15 GB is enough space for movies and special features (especially using MPEG-4)! Most of Blu-rays backers either support both formats or will support HD-DVD if consumers pick HD-DVD over Blu-ray. The only companies that Blu-ray has over HD-DVD is the amnount of movie studios. If I'm correct, Fox and Disney are the only non-Sony owned/affiliated movie studios exclusive to Blu-ray.

I thing that HD-DVD will win the movie format battle and Blu-ray (or Holo-disc) will win the data back-up crowed.

Ced

5. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

Hopefully they can decide on one format so they can start dropping those ridiculous prices, damn corporate slugs......

6. plutonash

plutonash Regular member

I remember mudearies he mas rambling on how The Ps3 would make PCs obeselete. Like whole business, governments, and private consumers would give up the PC for Sonys new experiment. Luckily his been suspended and people can have a intelligent conservation now on these boards.

7. sully_2u

sully_2u Regular member

Why would blu-ray be more supported? 30 Gb HD-DVD d/l is way more than enough for ANY movie or any GAME for that matter. Why would developers choose to develope a game or movie on Blu-Ray, when HD-DVD can hold it all and is cheaper? No logic.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  8. leonbasin

leonbasin Member

actually your sort of wrong blu ray discs can hold 25 gig per layer and there is a prototype 8 layer version so 8 multiplied by 25 is a 200 gig blu ray disc i dont think hddvd can keep up with that

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Blue-ray doesn't have more support! Anyone saying that doesn't know the facts.

Heres the lists:

excerpts from the HD-DVD and Blu-ray faq page@ http://www.bitburners.com/High_Definition_DVD_FAQ/

4.3 Who is behind HD DVD?

The major companies backing HD DVD are:

* Canon Inc.
    * Digital Theater Systems
    * Hitachi Maxell, Ltd.
    * Kenwood Corporation
    * Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Co., Ltd.
    * NEC Corporation
    * Onkyo Corporation
    * Paramount Home Entertainment
    * Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd.
    * Teac Corporation
    * Toshiba Corporation
    * Universal Pictures
    * Warner Home Video Inc.

3.3 Who is behind Blu-ray?

Blu-ray is backed by the following list of companies:

* Apple Computer, Inc.
    * Dell Inc.
    * Hewlett Packard Company
    * Hitachi, Ltd.
    * LG Electronics Inc.
    * Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
    * Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
    * Pioneer Corporation
    * Royal Philips Electronics
    * Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
    * Sharp Corporation
    * Sony Corporation
    * TDK Corporation
    * Thomson Multimedia
    * Twentieth Century Fox
    * Walt Disney Pictures

Now lets analys them...

As far a blu-ray support "Sony (formerly Columbia/Tri-Star, and also the new owner of MGM), Fox and Disney are the main studio backers."

Everyone knows that Disney is planning to support both formats to make customers happy even though it sees blu-ray as the winner in the format race, so that leaves blu-ray with Fox as the only exclusive backer that isn't some how owned by Sony.

As far as HD-DVD the only exclusive backer it has is Universal.

-----------

Disc capacity [bold]FOR MOVIES[/bold]...

Both formats have more than enough space for HD-DVD movies and special features especially when using codecs better than MPEG-2 (eg VC-1).

Another thing I have been seeing is that people are starting to equate the capacity of Xbox 360 discs to HD-DVD discs. That is just wrong since the 360 still uses red-lazer tech with 8.5GB DVD-9 discs.

HD-DVD has 15GB per layer and is capable of going up to 3 layers deep in its lifetime (thats 45GB)

Blu-ray Has 25GB perlayer and is capable of going up to 8 layers deep in its lifetime (that 200GB)

The key word is lifetime! 30GB is an incredible amount of space for just one movie and its special features. 50GB is overkill.

Ced

10. sully_2u

sully_2u Regular member

Why in the world would they need a 200 gig disc. That must be expensive as HELL. NO developer would ever think about that for a long time or the developer would be broke. Right now, and for some years to come, HD-DVD's seem like they are the way to go. Way cheaper, faster to develope, and can hold everything that will be on a regular blu-ray disc. Blu-ray is a petty attempt by Sony to reach into another piece of the economy and you know what, seems like it's going to cost them this time so good for them.

11. sully_2u

sully_2u Regular member

Wow, i'm really good at killing threads. If i got paid for it i wouldn't even worry about buying a HD-DVD or Blu-ray player because i'd buy out the companies.

12. Dfeyeant1

Dfeyeant1 Member

The BD format is the result of a great effort to keep things affordable. I agree with your corporate slugs ideology, but I think that their awareness of what consumers will consider paying should keep costs reasonable.

13. sully_2u

sully_2u Regular member

Yes but will that mean they'll let themselves lose money on the Ps3 AND what ever they come out with for blu-ray?

14. tycobb

tycobb Regular member

Another which is better thread....snor.The difference between both formats is so little that I really don't know which is better.And when I'm watching a movie i don't think I'll care or notice any difference.

15. sully_2u

sully_2u Regular member

HD-DVD is capable of 1080p output anyways, so why not go with the cheaper format? You are not going to use 50 GB for a movie or video anytime soon. 30 GB D/l is good enough.

16. alafossb

alafossb Regular member

JaguarGod is right though...if ANY thing will replace the DVD as mainstream format that majoirty studios will use, it will be the HD-DVD. Especially since that law/announcement was made that in 7 years or soemthing, all US TV stations are required to have switched over to HD (some enforcement to future technology). Nevertheless blu-ray is going to be helpful. I don't see it being mainsream anytime soon whatsoever, but for us gamers and those in the industry, this is a good step forward that sony has brought upon us. This breaks that bar and line of game developer's games being too big or to heavy duty for a mere DVD to handle. Now they have vast amount of space to work with and throw things on. It'll be quite interesting to see it all bleed in once HD and Blu-ray are more out in the open for people to use and experiance... only true thing im worried about is the prices of blu-ray content that is not gaming based entertainment, and the prices of blu-ray burners/readers.

17. alafossb

alafossb Regular member

Sully you have a good point, but there is plenty of logic in blu-ray. A lot of the games and content we experience is shuttered down, edited, and compressed because of the limitations and capacities of DVDs. Sure HDDVD is going to do as much as blu-ray or only a slight less for just a bit, but only for a bit. Why switch to one format that’s more then double the less as good as the other when you can go a head and jump a grade, jump a step, and instead of blowing double the money, go ahead and evolve to blu-ray to have features, abilities, and capacity that will last you and developers for years to come. And believe me there are developers and companies that will use blu-rays potential and take advantage of the power. No longer will we have to worry about games delaying to take stuff or chop down stuff, or movies removing extra features or never even adding any. Now content, especially, games have a huge field to go into and lay things down on. Imagine if The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was not being released until another year and was going to get to use the power of blu ray for ps3...their limitations would be almost endless and would be so much more improved.

|alafoss|

18. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Everyone knows that the Blu-ray is limited two layers (50 GB) right? The promised 100 GB and 200 GB capacities are only for the recordable Blu-ray formats (BD-R/RE).

HD-DVDs 45GB 3 layer disc is rumored to be only for recordable media aswell.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2006
  19. sully_2u

sully_2u Regular member

Well, how much room does 1080p take compared to 1080i?

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Half the space at the same frame rate and bit-rate.

But why? Both formats encode to 1080p24 for their source matirial which takes up less space than a 1080i60 encoding rate.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006