1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-Ray Vs. HD DVD - The Polite Debate..

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Lethal_B, Oct 15, 2005.

1. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I have a Samsung Slim-Fit 30" CRT. I got a nice Yamaha 5.1 system with speakers and a powered sub. My "Digital" source is an outdoor antenna and an LG DTV receiver. I use an AR Pro II series DVI-HDMI cable from my DTV receiver to my HDTV. I use the same AR cable series Optical cable to connect my DTV receiver to my Yamaha receiver (I also have regular L/R audio cables going from my DTV reciver to my TV for those times when surround sound is way to much or unavailable; ei. the news). I don't have an up conversion DVD player though. I use a cheap Philips progressive scan DVD player. I have it connected using "Component Video" cabels to my receiver and then to my tv. I also use optical cable to connect my DVD player to my Yamaha receiver. I also have an entry level monster clean power filter/surge protector.

All the cables I use are AR Pro II Series or Proformance series cables, not monster.
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2005
  2. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

Actually, if u guys didnt know, blu-ray will cost the same amount as DVD's...read it somewhere but forgot, ill get the link later, but seriously, im not lying, they will, sony or some other company said so, they said development costs will be reduced cause of some reason...anybody else read this?

3. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

No, and the site you got it from was probably unreliable and most likely had no idea what they were talking about. Everyone knows Blu-ray will be alot more expensive than normal DVDs. Still, feel free to post the link (if it exists)

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Why is that so hard to believe?

Everyone knows BlueRay discs are more expensive to produce but no one knows what price the discs will be sold for! Sony can choose to put most of the cost on its-self in an attempt to stay compettitive (they are already going to loose quite a bit of money, during the next few years, putting BlueRay into the PS3). The real question is what the third party BlueRay player manufactuers will do.

But whats a couple of 100 Mil when 100s of Billions is possibly at stake for the winner!
    Ced

5. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Well, when you put it that way, I can begin to see why Sony would take a loss to sell them cheap, but I cant imagine getting a 25 pack of Blu-ray discs for $30. I really would like to see the link where this guy got it from.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

True, but I was thinking they would go cheap with the movies and stick it to you with recordable media and recorders!

Ced

7. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

8. mkaseatgb

mkaseatgb Regular member

Hmm...since it is on a Playstation website, writen in a Playstation forum, about an item that will benifit playstation, and the fact that the source is Ps3 Updates...not an actual site...What I am getting at is that the person could have easily written the articel themselves and posted it. I'll believe it when I see a reputable source.

9. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

Believe what u want to believe, they couldnt have came up with that idea to decrease costs...but u never know, who knows?

10. ASexyNerd

ASexyNerd Member

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

That price is a little inflated (I wonder how much profit prostock makes off each disc?). Plus, mass-production works wonders on price marks. Then their is the competition between the big retailers (ie Bestbuy, Curcuit City, Media Play, ect...) thay will keep everything (relativly) honest as far as consumer price once BD hits the market and the PS3 debuts.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2005
  12. SirRanRap

SirRanRap Member

i think i am just going to find my old betamax find an 8track at a yard sale move to a cave and get an abacis to do my taxes.

13. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Take it you are stuck in the 1980's then.... LOL :)

14. Blaxx85

Blaxx85 Member

That's because Sony is greedy with both Beta and MD, they created new media formats and wanted other manufacturers to pay them for the rights to use them. JVC came out with VHS and told everybody else they could play too. MD never really took off because you could listen to about 4 CDs before you finished transferring an hour of music to one of the discs LOL. I really expected Sony's music division to release a few albums in the MD format to push the media a bit

15. H-Pschorr

H-Pschorr Member

I'm going out on a limb here with this comment. Blue-Ray & HD-DVD seam like the Laserdisc of the next generation. Laserdisc never really caught on - prices never reached the rock bottom that DVD has (yes I know volume has a lot to do with this). Yes I still have about 350 LD movies on the shelf.

As others have noted, most people do not have HDTV and even if they do, they are not using it to its full potential.
    The current public does not care about quality - MP3 players prove this. People want volume and cheap, over quality. So unless either of these formats starts knocking on the door of DVD prices, they will remain the "elite" format for video buffs.

Once a player is released that plays both Blue-Ray and HD-DVD I’ll take the plunge and start buying my favorite movies in whatever format they are released in. I will not start replacing my entire movie collection, again.

16. johny24

johny24 Guest

I agree with the price issues on these new Players. I dont own a HDTV yet beecause i dont want to replace all my tv's at home and HDTV's has lowered price however i will still wait a year a two and everything you have to get for it to get it up running is expensive. Also i feel DVD lifespan still has a good minimum 5 years. Remember Vhs lasted about 20 years correct me if im wrong.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2006
  17. the_goat

the_goat Member

If there is a technology company out there with an imaginaive R&D department, a bit of capitol backing, and the balls to go for it they could come up with a new inovation which would encompass both Blue Ray and HD DVD in a stand alone Player / Recorder if this could be produced at a price that doesn't read like a telephone number,then everyone would go for it .Otherwise the market for this new technology will be retarded for some time until a clear winner is apparent.

18. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

One might want to keep up with the latest developments from this site:

http://www.hddvd.org/hddvd/

Apparently, the grand unveiling (Jan 6, 2006 in Las Vegas) by Microsoft's Kevin Collins failed. He popped an HD DVD disc into a Toshiba production model, hit play............NOTHING!!!!

OOOPS!!!

19. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

LOL!!! Oh god, that was funny....lol funny as hell...thank u for posting that, im loving it, microsoft is really dumb to endorse HD-DVD...and this is just telling them, and Sony's already started to release movies in HD on DOUBLE LAYERED BLU-RAY discs, 54GB!!! Yes, they're all on 54GB ones, can u imagine the quality, they say thats the size of a movie totally uncompressed and with all the special features and whatnot. They're gonna release 4 a month and more like 10 a month later and so on. PS3 will also push Blu-Ray when it gets sold out in preorders and people see their favorite movies in Blu-Ray and buy them...u get the point.

20. eddiechi

eddiechi Member

Is the lifespan of these potential new formats supposed to be better? I have read that the lifespan of DVD's can range from 25-150 yrs... also depending on quality and storage of media but just read a report that these guestimates are far fetched and that 2 yrs + is more like it, especially DVD-R's........ http://www.techspot.com/news/20078-cds-only-last-2-years-ibm-storage-expert-says.html

I have never actually seen a true and thourogh report on a DVDs lifespan but have seen some media deteriorate quite quickly, used to think it was just because it was chep media....... now I have my doubts