1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-Ray Vs. HD DVD - The Polite Debate..

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Lethal_B, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

Well actually disregard all those findings. They're not accurate at all. Simply put because they can't test them. They're just making predictions. What company would delay their product for a few years to accurately tell how long it will last???? And Microsoft endorsing HD-DVD actually doesn't matter at all. They don't make the drivers anyway and most of its customers support Bluray so in the end it does nothing.

2. jontopia

jontopia Member

The New Holographic Versatile Disk is going to blow both Blu -Ray and HD DVD out of the water

These disks have the capacity to hold up to 3.9 terabytes (TB) of information, which is approximately 160 times the capacity of single-layer Blu-ray Discs. The HVD also has a transfer rate of 1 Gbit/s. Optware is expected to release a 200GB disc in early june of 2006.

3. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Sounds aight, but we'll wait & see....have you any links?

4. jontopia

jontopia Member

5. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

OH MY ****IN GOD!!! jontopia, do you have any ****in idea how much those will cost??? NO. God...people make it seem like HVD's all that but dont say anything about price...im sure you'll buy 1 HVD disc for $50. Do u even know how much the burner will be in the beginning? They have to pay for the research and development costs too...im sure you'll spend $4000+ on one. :) They're for buisness use...I'm not going to say anything else because u might not have known about the cost...

6. jontopia

jontopia Member

Yes your right about the cost . Its like a mega 15.000 usd for the player and something like 200 usd for the disk .But like all technology the price will come down alot. I remember a time when Radio shack was selling a 100 MB hard drive for for a whopping 2,750 usd .

7. marik1234

marik1234 Regular member

Yea, but that was like 20 years ago lol. I think it will be useful to us in about 10 years, after the PS3's lifespan ends with Blu-Ray, prices will probably be really good, and we can afford it. But we'll have to wait till then, I'm expecting 10-20 years. I know that all next gen consoles, like PS4 will have it, but not till the end of PS3's lifespan, because I guarantee you x360 and revolution will not last that long, and by the time their next gen consoles come out, HVD may still be too expensive to manufacture. PS3 has a good future with Cell and Blu-Ray. Leave it at Blu-Ray for now.

8. Xmonkey29

Xmonkey29 Guest

Blu-Ray 50gb dual-layer HOT DOG!!!!

9. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

I doubt it will be useful at the average consumer level in 10 years. It'll take more than that time. We haven't even seen if we can fully utilise 50GB. Much less like 4 TB. There are some 100GB Bluray discs that some Japanese company says they made but my guess is that in 10 years we'll be using like maybe 500GB discs.

10. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

so i have a question. will bluray and hddvd readers read older dvd's faster? will the blueviolet laser read dvds or will there also be a red laser?

11. H-Pschorr

H-Pschorr Member

I remember articles 10 years ago saying there was no consumer need for hard drives above 2-3 gigs.

I shot 20GB of photos this year alone, with a 6mp camera. Most shots were on medium resolution to save CF card space. I’m about to buy a new Nikon 10mp SLR and a few 2GB CF cards. When I’m in the field, usually over a 4 day span I like to make backups as soon as I have enough data to fill a disk. Nice security blanket incase my laptop does not make it home in one piece.

In car video from my track events is upwards of 75GB this year, I only recorded 1 event. This year I plan to record all 5 events. This was using a medium quality transfer rate to my computer. I’m currently shopping for an all digital HD camera for my car, I would like to shoot at full resolution. What fun is it watching my in car cams on my big screen if quality is knocked down in order to fit on a standard disk? A typical weekend should be a minimum of 4 hours of on track video.

My point is, the demand for even your average consumer when it comes to storage space seams to be climbing at a steady rate. With HD camcorders, it’s about to take a huge jump forward.

12. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

Uhhh that actually depends. You're not the average consumer. You're the high end user. The kind of person that can fill in a 1TB hard drive no problem whereas the avergae consumer would be hard pressed to do that.

13. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

im struggling on my 120gb and my 40. i keep having to delete things and i am just your
    average joe. hd videos for an hour take over 20 gigs usually. hd-games are now struggling to
    fit on 2-3 dvds, so imagine another year or 2, 360 owners will have about 4 disks per game.
    if one gets messed up or lost, the other 3 will be worthless.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  14. jontopia

jontopia Member

Cant say I understood that last post

15. got_boost

got_boost Guest

alright people, if u want to know (facts) then read this,i've been in home theatre sales for over 4 years now, and gonna give u my 2 cents blu-ray and hd-dvd is like vhs vs. beta, it's a power struggle and know one knows who's gonna win yet. The only player i know of that will be releasing in spring is the toshiba hd-dvd player $500 and the pioneer elite $1900. I've read they are both backwards compatible, and that the blu-ray players are having a tough time reading the discs, due to laser issues, and that blu-ray discs are more prone to getting scratched.....i also heard that if they get a scratch on them, they're pretty much done dealin. As far as costs are concerned, they are saying they'll be around the price of a normal dvd because people won't buy $80 movies, so yes they will lose a little bit of money, but that's to get the technology out....i hear they'll be about the same price as a normal dvd....i'm guessin $25

16. teejam2

teejam2 Member

Going to games shops?!Buying games?!Interrupting play to buy new games?!- thing of the past. The 360 already has xbox live, proving that downloading content without getting off your seat off the internet is the future. Blu-ray vs hd-DVD? neither; both will fail and bow down to the greatness that is downloadable content. all MS need to do is to make a Hard drive with a larger capacity (which i hear they are already doing, incidentally)and make their games available over xbox live to crush the disgrace to game sthat is the pS3.

17. afterdood

afterdood Member

Sony completely corrupt this should be ethically unbalanced for having a share in market in blue ray copy media. This is because Sony and other media outlets (with even HD-DVD) owning stock in Blue Ray is just as ethical as owning a medical help stop lung cancer fund and ciggaret company at the same time. Heres why.

1. Because of blue ray Sony will make money from people who illegaly copy movies because
    they own blue ray and any idiot knows most dvdr sales are (and blue ray writables) will be due
    to illegaly copying movies, camcorders are just not that popular nor are other reasons to copy media.
    2. Sony then also makes money from people who they sue who copy thier own movies.

See the conflict of interest here? Its like selling someone a ciggaret,
    then going out and promoting a fund for Save a life lets stop lung cancer. Who is the goverment and people involved in
    anti-piracy and anti-consumerism really supporting? The rich corporations who glutton off our misery and want to turn us into consumeristic couch poptatoes, paying everytime we view something and never letting us copy anything "they own". Its bad enough when we have
    people trying to rewrite ownership "intellectual" laws, even worse that we've become our own dupes in buying and ripping copy media,inadvertantly supporting corporations that dont support us by doing so.
    What a viscious cyle, were all rats in a wheel unable or unwilling to step off, its sad to see people not comming forward to support and produce pro consumeristic intellectual properties. I'm sorry but when it comes to copying media I agree that it should be illegal to copy and sell it, but I dont have nor ever will have a problem with copying for educational non commercial purposes. If I own a car, I can do whatever I want with it, paint it how I like, etc, you dont see Ford comming in and going..wait you cant do that we still own that car (or my house), intellectual propety shouldnt be treated any differently, I bought it, its mine, not ours. Its pathetic to see whats become when people with money and power buy out and buy off our goverment through lobbying and making laws 95% of its people dont support. Even worse to see afterdawn and others giving in and removing some of thier posts to support new copy protection laws. like drones we go on babbling about new technology 6 months to a year before it hits the market in force.

18. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

Ok. teejam u're saying that in the wrong forum. And no matter what people still like physical media. Explain to me now why books still sell so well even though we have e-books, etc. And even so all the XBox live parts for downloading games and such would be very troublesome to Microsoft. You're basically asking them to prevent people from hacking in or plating viruses into the downloadable game content. Just look at their Windows platform. I'd think twice upon relying on downloading games too much. It's a great idea but not going to replace physical discs any time soon. And afterdood you posted that somewhere else already. Don't post here again. It's kind of bad to post similar things everywhere to get comments and replies. Just wait for interested people to reply to you in the thread you made.

19. shiroh

shiroh Guest

the one with cracked copy protection of course ;)

20. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

If Microsoft goes with HD-DVD, then the format has a chance. But if they go with Blu-RAY, then HD-DVD is *finished*. For something to succeed, it needs to have widespread consumer support. Sony learned this the hard way, with BetaMax superior to VHS but still never being successful with consumers (or was BetaMax = Phillips...i forget). After awhile, Blu-RAY media prices will fall, and prices will be similar to DVD. I know i won't be buying Blu-RAY for my existing titles, what's the reason to? Blu-RAY is really important if you have an HDTV, as the 1070 resolution is so incredibly good. Until they have lower priced TV sets out (give them 2-3 years maybe), there's no reason to get Blu-RAY. Unless you're rich and want to waste your $$$.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2006