1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blu-Ray Vs. HD DVD - The Polite Debate..

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Lethal_B, Oct 15, 2005.

1. shiroh

shiroh Guest

well people have been using svcd. the wonders of china.
    so i think i'll still use dvd as i did with svcd/xsvcd, for my HD stuff

2. Jkhmmr

Jkhmmr Regular member

Microsoft did already went with HD-DVD. Can I not make my point clear??? They already announced their support for it along with Intel but most of their customers have backed Bluray. And those in the HD-DVD camp are beginning to support Bluray too. And needless to say that Microsoft said there would be no HD-DVD XBox 360 games. So analysts agree that HD-DVD will die out in a few years and Bluray will be the dominant media. Unless they're completely wrong, the PS3 completely tanks, no one gets Bluray players, buy more HD-DVD players and Microsoft makes HD-DVD XBox 360 games which sell very very well.

3. mudearies

mudearies Guest

well i wasnt in any hurry of buying high def. movies but since my future PS3 will ship with a blu-ray player built-in,then i will buy all my future movies on blu-ray ,i dont buy alot of movies anyways.

but yeah blu-ray works for me.

4. zrdb

zrdb Regular member

I for one am going to pass on the Blu-ray vs. HDDVD format wars, geez-it's hard enough to get a dvd player that will upscale through componet, I just got a DVD-HD850 and applied the hack. Point is most people are just gonna stick with regular dvds-me for one.

5. rayfish

rayfish Member

The problem here is that the standards are just based on the which lobby has more fire-power. I have been reviewing (of course on iNods) about the standards and I noticed that this is really going to be a fruitless race. First I had complied a corporate list so as to identify the mood of the industry:

I am trying to compile a corporate list and keep on monitoring who tilts the balance. I have been reviewing on this site I came across iNods.com which searches for reviews online.

So far:

[bold]HD-DVD[/bold]
    Microsoft
    Intel
    HP
    Universal
    Warner Brothers
    Paramount
    NEC
    SANYO

[bold]
    Blu-Ray[/bold]
    Sony
    Phillips
    Samsung
    Panasonic
    All major Studios including Tri-Star Columbia

LG is confusing me. Which side are they finally?

EDIT: Sony merged with NEC last monday (Optical drives division) so now Toshiba has lost a great support in the form of NEC

Also it has been declared that the Holographic discs are actually are reality expected to be launched same time next year with a 300GB capacity and the idea is to upgrade the discs to 1.6 terabyte by 2010. It is being built on a completely different technology which involves splitting a laser beam in to two so as to act as a transmitter and receiver simultaneously and parallely.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Good reaserch rayfish.

Most of the questions that you are trying to answer have already been answered though.

Consult the BD & HD-DVD faq:
    http://www.bitburners.com/High_Definition_DVD_FAQ/

As far as LG, they have officially backed Blu-Ray but there is a contract between Toshiba and LG that allows the companies to share each others assets in the area of Optical media. Toshiba is using LGs optical media know how to make CD and DVD recordables easier to maufacture.

AD news (Toshiba and LG in optical disc patent sharing deal)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7306.cfm

There is also a thread on Holographic Disk that has been started:
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/255735

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2006
  7. rayfish

rayfish Member

Thanks diabolos...I am sorry I did not notice the other thread. Thanks again for the great info and guiding me to the threads.

8. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

Guys, it's great to read a thread where people bother to do the necessary research before hitting the post button. Some great info in here. :)

9. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

I agree. Research is what truth is made of. Everything else is just speculation and random bullsh*t that someone was thinking about.

10. restart

restart Member

Well I guess you guys haven't heard of ultra Hi Def that they're testing in Japan, a 56-inch screen with 3840 x 2160 pixels with a data transmission speed of over 1.4 gigabytes per second. Shows you that the bluray hd-dvd technology is already obsolete, it's just a matter of time.

11. SirRanRap

SirRanRap Member

"A 56", 3840 x 2160 LCD TV or nothing
    A manufacturer called CMO or Chi Mei Optoelectronics Corporation, one of the 3 biggest LCD screen suppliers, announced yesterday that they developped the first 56" QFHD LCD TV or Quad Full High Definition 3840x2160 with 8.29 million pixels. This is like 4 times more than a regular 1920x1080 TV, and a world record."

cooool

although i dont think that makes HD-DVD or Blu-Ray opsolete. infact something like this makes the need for more space on dvd more important. and i know what your going to say that the stats say 1080i standard resolution for the formats, but didnt they make some DVDs that came without all the stupid extras and comentary, all it had was HD movie content. i'm sure if the standards for TVs become this high that the same can be done for the new formats or maybe they will simply start filming and selling all movies in such high resolution.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  12. Nicklt

Nicklt Regular member

For a while i was all Blu-Ray FTW as shown here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/292751

But lately im less FTW and more FTL, i dont know why to be honest, its got nothing to do with the Techs of HD-DVD or Blu-Ray but more peoples feelings towards Blu-Ray. I.E alot of people i have spoken to are dubius (If thats how you spell it) about buying Blu-Ray because when DVD recorders came out it was meant to be a revolution, easy to record, easy to set up, easy to use. When actually the people i have spoken to have had real problem with theres, my uncle for example i dont think he has one epidose of C.S.I that he recorded that isnt missing the first 3 minutes, due the the CD having to format for recording.

From my personal experience when i brought my DVD-Recorder i had real problems setting it up, and im meant to be technically gifted!

I dont think Blu-Ray will hit it off with the average joe, unless the company behind blu-ray can make a peice of piss to use, the only person who will buy it is a techy. TBH i would stick with HD-DVD for now. I think Blu-Ray will have a fault start and take a while to get going.

(This is my opinion, i havent bothered researching much on Blu-Ray since my post on Blu-Ray was stickied, i also dont know much about HD-DVD because i dont own one. Hmmm i really need to start swating up on more stuff)

13. Razengan

Razengan Regular member

Honestly, I plan to get a PS3, but that doesn't mean I'll go with bluray. In fact, I'm currently not interested in neither format. First, I don't own a compatible display (Only a 27" inch CRT HDTV without HDMI).

And even after I get a compatible display, someone would have to convince me why is a Bluray or HD-DVD player any better than an current tech progressive scan DVD player with upconverting capabilities.

To tell you the truth, my $60 progressive scan Sony DVD player connected through component to my HDTV looks crisp enough for my taste. But, if I had to choose any of them, I guess it would be Bluray, that if the PS3 finally comes out.

14. rayfish

rayfish Member

I am waiting to see who will be the first company to come out with the complete "Integrated Blu-ray HD DVD R" That will be something. The ability to change the light frequencies and stuff like that and not having to bother which format you are buying as long as you get the best of both worlds.

I hate this proprietary system and how these giants want to make a closed community of audience. I mean look at this this way, it would be so cool if the community is allowed to drive the technology rather than being forced upon by heavily 'lobbied' standards.

15. bigt1

bigt1 Guest

I will not be rushing out to buy either one. I'm sticking with what i've got for a couple more years. All they want is our money, and Blue ray & HD is going to cost a lot to switch over to. You'll need a stand alone player $500 to $1800. Plus new drives in puter plus the cost of the new movies plus the cost of new blank disc's. It all adds up beyond my blue collar budget. Plain ol DVD'S for me.

16. Nicklt

Nicklt Regular member

I agree, wait until all the overhipe is gone about it and the prices go down, then think (well i will) about getting Blu-Ray

17. vairox

vairox Regular member

right now, HD-DVD has the edge in terms of cost but the winner will be whoever launches first with blank media and burners, end of story.... if they both launch with movies and players it isn't gonna matter, if one launches with media and players and the other launches with media and burners then the one with the burner wins and we all know why... heres some info on why i think HD-dvd will be the winner

taken from arstechnica

18. rayfish

rayfish Member

19. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

A Sony PS3 will probably set you back $400 U.S. a BLU-Ray player, on the other hand, will retail for atleast $700 on it's own. For me, the choice is clear.
    Wait until PS3 drops in price, then have both for less $$$. I'll stick w/DVDs for now. Doesn't matter TV size, just makes sense.

20. rayfish

rayfish Member