1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blu-ray vs. hd dvd

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by korso55, Apr 27, 2006.

1. korso55

korso55 Regular member

does anyone know if they're going to be any major differences between these 2 players(blu ray costs twice as much as the tosiba hd dvd player)? or when they will be released?

2. mg5pro

mg5pro Regular member

3. jeray

jeray Regular member

this sucks.different companies backing each one.i think blue-ray will pull ahead due to ps3.hopefully a player that plays both will come.

4. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2006
  5. jeray

jeray Regular member

thats great news dblbogey7.what company is lg? both formats won't make it,hopefully around x-mas we'll know which one.

6. dblbogey7

dblbogey7 Guest

7. sully_2u

sully_2u Regular member

Will their any difference in sound quality? Like will it be just as SACD's?

8. jeray

jeray Regular member

i think right now its just 7.1. but later on after the companies see if they are going to catch on there will prob be a whole new sound format.with all the room on these discs they can improve audio as well as video.thats not official just my insight but i would wait to purchase a new reciever for awhile,because i'd say you'll have to have a new one.maybe someone will have better info.

9. diabolos

diabolos Guest

You rang...lol

There are a couple of boosts to the quality of sound when compared to DVD.

While DVD (Video) used Dolby Digital and DTS (optional) in 5.1 and 6.1 modes and LPCM, HD-DVD and Blu-ray will be capable of true 7.1 playback using lossy or loss-less copression schemes.

Both formats use the same 4 audio coding technologies. They are Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, Dolby trueHD, and DTS-HD. The latter two are both loss-less encoding schemes.

Dolby Digital Plus is basicly a higher bit-rate version Dolby Digital capable of 7.1 surround and better sound at comparable bitrates to its ancestor.

Dolby trueHD and DTS-HD use forms of loss-less compression that delivers a bit-for-bit identical reprodction on the original master!

The subject of sound is a very messy topic at the moment since the new lossless formats require new hardware to be passed digitally. The new haredware isn't here yet. For that matter, Dolby tureHD isn't final. Also the most significant change to how everything works is that everything is now created internally with-in the player. There is no digital audio streaming. Everything comes from either a disc, internet source, or the player itself and is then converted to PCM and then into either DTS or Dolby Digital Plus. The only way to pass the loss-less formats is via HDMI v1.3 otherwise they will be converted to PCM aswell.

The saddest thing is that Dolby trueHD and DTS-HD have both been limited to 8 channels on both Blu-ray and HD-DVD players even though both audio formats can support more than 8 channels (16 to be exact!)

Ced

10. limelight

limelight Regular member

If i remember correctly, i beleive "Phantom of the Opera" was one of the first hd-dvd titles to be released for $25.

Then i thought about the fact that there is no way this film was recorded in hi-def since it was made years and years ago. Then i tried to justify the $25 price tag for it when i could buy a perfectly good dvd copy for 7.99 in the bargin bins. Something like this is a "red flag" for me. Its just movie studios trying to sell something on top of what it really is.

11. diabolos

diabolos Guest

You feel that way because you don't know how movies get to the consumer (thats a common misconception)...

Let me explain, [bold]the age of a movie has nothing to do with its ablitity to be recorded in high definition.[/bold] On top of that the audio portion of the Phantom of the Opera (POTO) is a big enough reason to pick up one alone!

Why? Because the source is film which has always been better than any consumer format! The tool used to changing film into digital data is called a telecine. For DVD the telecine was limited to NTSC (720x480, 480i) or PAL resolution (or a 1920x1080p source down-resd too 480i). For Blu-Ray and HD-DVD the limit is 1920x1080p.

Now I also said that the audio was very good. It is. As a fan of the POTO you should now how awsome the soundtrack is. Well on HD-DVD its about 100x better. The POTO soundtrack was recored in two ways. Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD. Dolby true HD is where the difference really is sence it is a bit-for-bit reproduction of the original master!

I could go on and on but I'll just provide links to more info like I always do... :)

What is a Telecine?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecine

What do Telecines do?
    http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/video-format.htm

What is Dolby TrueHD?
    http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/trueHD.html

What is Dolby Digital Plus?
    http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/dolby_digital_plus.html

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2006
  12. mudearies

mudearies Guest

i hope blu-ray wins beacuase its the best.

13. jeray

jeray Regular member

i think blue ray will be great for games.hd dvd for movies

14. oofRome

oofRome Regular member

I dislike both of them.

As if the High Definition era isn't erratic enough, Sony and Toshiba decide to force yet another format war on consumers.

15. elusiv1

elusiv1 Regular member

It would be dumb to invest in either format right now. Personally, I don't care about all the hype, just settle for one format already so we can all go about our business. I'm with you oofRome.........

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  16. mudearies

mudearies Guest

blu-ray will win thanks to ps3.

17. qasim1991

qasim1991 Regular member

Blu-ray has more space, doesn't it? im sure its like 25GB while the HD-DVD is like half that, something like 12GB or whatever.

18. oofRome

oofRome Regular member

Akin to how UMD took off with the PSP? Or ATRAC with CD walkmans?
    I guess I'm just not understanding your logic...

19. mudearies

mudearies Guest

' ' Akin to how UMD took off with the PSP? Or ATRAC with CD walkmans?
    I guess I'm just not understanding your logic... ' '

UMD has nothing to do with blu-ray ,UMD can only be played in psp.

blu-ray sony will realese a blu-ray player for home this month.
    pioneer will realese a blu-ray burner for it that can play and burn blu-ray in your pc.

ps3 will play blu-ray and its going to be the main factor for blu-ray to win.

20. fatejd

fatejd Member

"Blu-ray has more space, doesn't it? im sure its like 25GB while the HD-DVD is like half that, something like 12GB or whatever."

A single-layer Blu-ray disc (BD) can store enough for approximately two hours of high-definition video with audio on a single layer 25 GB disc. A dual-layer BD 50 GB disc can hold enough for approximately four hours of HD video. TDK recently announced that they have created a working Blu-ray disk capable of holding 200GB of data (6-33GB data layers).

-Wikipedia

It's definitely better when it comes to size because of its expandability.