1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue screen appears without warning.

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Kafka, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

For years now I have had this problem. Th is morning I had spent some considerable time creating multiple slideshows. While DVD PixPlay was processing the slideshows prior to burning them (which takes hours) I was preparing a cover for the DVD box. This also took time. Without warning the screen went blue and I was informed that Windows was repairing some problem. This only took a matter of seconds then the computer rebooted and I lost all my work. This happens every so often. Why? My computer is quite old. I use Windows 8.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3292 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), 1422 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 97 GB (15 GB Free); D: 292 GB (190 GB Free); L: 292 GB (159 GB Free); Z: 75 GB (53 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., G41M-Combo
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You need to find out what was written to the bsod dump file.
    In future you can stop the computer from auto restart by turning it off,it's under "system" in control panel,then "advanced system settings" in left column & then once clicked on,there will be a window that pops up (system properties),select the bottom one to adjust by un-ticking "automatically restart" .This will give time to get the error code next time it happens.
    It'll be near impossible if like you say it happens every now & then for anyone to pin point the issue directly.It's caused by faulty hardware or poorly coded software drivers,or even a conflict of two softwares/drivers

3. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

Unfortunately there is no "advanced system settings" listed in the left column under "System".

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why do you have your windows defender turned off & why are you using Microsoft's video driver for your onboard video & not the video driver from intel?

5. Kafka

Kafka Regular member

I can't remember turning Windows Defender off. Can I have it switched on at the same time as Avast Anti Virus? I did not choose Microsoft's video driver rather than the video driver from intel, it just happened. Do I need to change it, and if so, how?

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Click on the whatever has the word advanced in the left column once the system window opens

edit: i'm on win 7 however it should be the same or similar

edit 2: avast turned it off,it's ok leave it as is

edit 3: if the comps an oem go to the manufacturer of the pc website.If you built it yourself go to the mobo manufacturer i think

edit 4: speccy can tell you the specifics of your pc or HWMonitor

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

scorp, kafka has almost the same board as which my 2 towers have.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

if you have avast,thats why windows defender is switched off.there can only be one.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

lol..at aldan.Whether it was done on purpose or not.Your last four words brings to mind Highlander

10. aldan

aldan Active member

on purpose.i love that line.lol