1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue screen of death - please help me

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Defu, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Defu

Defu Member

i just built my first computer ;

intel D 3.0
    2gb patriot ddr2 800
    asus p5n32-sli deluxe
    8800 gts

i am constantly getting the blue screen of death. it happens 3-5 times a day. i updated my mobo bios, uninstalled and reinstalled all drivers, even reinstalled my os twice, i tried xp home and xp pro, nothing i have done solves the problem. i get this message with the blue screen ;

irql_not_less_or_equal

please help me, i am a novice and i don't know what to do. your help is appreciated, thank you.

2. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Welcome to the club! BSoDs are a royal pain. I suggest doing the following because I don't think you can add attachments here to our posts.

1. Sign up at TechSpot Open Forums.

2. Go to the Windows OS forum and post your problem with your Minidumps attached. If you have more than one then Zip them (though some people will attach 3 or four without zipping). Someone will rwead your minidumps and help steer you to what is causing the problem.

3. Your minidumps can be found by going to your C drive >Windows folder> Minidump folder. I have found it much easier to make another folder and place it on my desktop and transfer these minidumps there for easier access.

By the way, I looked at your system specs and I notice you have an 8800 video card. Just a heads up, but people are having TONS of issues with NVidia's drivers for this card under Vista.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  3. Defu

Defu Member

to be honest i would rather get help here. nothing against that other site, i just prefer to stick with AD. i might try it though if nobody here is able to help me.

things are getting worse by the day. more blue screens, new error messages, drivers disappear, it locked up once and when i rebooted my network drivers were gone and i was unable to reinstall them. sometimes it lockes up but won't boot to desktop, it goes through the boot up process but when it's suppose to go to my desktop it just goes through the boot process again, it does this over and over without ever getting to the desktop. i've reinstalled my os 5 times within 2 days. something is very wrong and i desperately need help. these are my latest blue screen error messages ;

irql_not_less_or_equal

driver_irql_not_less_or_equal

bad_pool_header

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  4. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

To be honest those Stop ERRORS can be due to a myriad of things. Minidumps will point the way to where the problem(s) are.

If I had a copy of your Minidumps I could help, but now you can't even access Windows. Plus I don't think these forums allow attachments.

Can you give us your system specs with vendor's names, i.e. video card, power supply, etc.?

What anti-virus, firewall, spy sweeper, etc. do you run? Have you checked to see if all your cables and other devices are connected properly?

5. Defu

Defu Member

i can access my desktop, for now. this is what i'm running....

intel D, 3.0
    asus p5n32-sli deluxe
    evga 8800 gts, 320mb
    2gb patriot extrme ddr2 800
    western digital raptor, 80gb, 10k
    windows xp home
    not sure the maker of my psu and dvd-rw, but i know the psu is 600w

i'm not running and antivirus or firewall, after my last reinstall of my os i didn't install anything but drivers. i have checked and double checked my cables.

6. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

Well, one thing I did notice with your specs is that you have an NVidia 8800 video card. I have read many people are having many issues between the NVdia drivers and Vista. I am not sure about with XP.

Unfortunately there is no way to Private Message me, otherwise I'd say do so with your Minidump attachments.

Have you run a MemTest86+ to test your RAM? Have you run the Western Digital diagnostics tool on your harddrive?

7. Defu

Defu Member

i've only tried to re-install my drivers and os, thats all i know how to do. what else should i be trying?

8. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

1. Memtest86+ to test your RAM. Google it and you'll find it. It is also free. Download and unzip. Transfer it to a floppy disk. Reboot your computer with your floppy in your floppy drive. You'll automatically be taken to a screen and the test will run. Shut off screen, go to bed and when you wake up make sure you have at least 10 passes. This will take a lot of time, but it is well worth it.

Don't worry, the screen is self explanatory and it will tell you if your RAM is corrupted.

2. Run a Western Digital diagnostics on your harddrive.

3. And as i said before, sign up at TechSpot Forums and post your problem with your minidumps. Trust me, its a safe place! :D

9. Defu

Defu Member

i don't have a floppy drive, can i use a 2gb usb stick?

10. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

No, but if you read the MemTest web site you can burn to a CD. By the way, you have one sweet motherboard there!

11. Defu

Defu Member

thanks for all the help, i'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

i know it's a good board but i really don't know why. care to tell me?

12. Zeyf414

Zeyf414 Regular member

13. Dlux427

Dlux427 Regular member

k. i ahd the same problem. i have a Pentium D 945. Sony DVD burner. OCZ DDR2 PC2 6400 memory wiht heatspreder. Antec Trio PSU. GeForce 7600 GT KO. Asus P5N SLI motherboard. Seagate 120gb HDD. i have the same problem. i keep getting the BSoD. it will say different things like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. KMIXER.SYS. USBPORT.SYS. different things sometimes. and i ran memtest 86 about 20 mins before i read your post and for the first 15 mins. everything was ok. and then it started detecting TONS of errors with my memory. this is brand new OCZ ram. good thing is there is a lifetime warranty, so hopefully get them to RMA it for me. im pretty sure that was the problem with me. i hope u find a solution to ur problem but i have a good feeling that it will b the same as mine.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  14. 6spdSER

6spdSER Member

@ Defu

Sounds like bad memory, have you had a chance to run memtest yet? Also make sure your board is set to assign IRQ's automatically in the bios. Are you running any PCI cards in the slots right below the PCI-e slots...though not so commmon anymore, but with older AGP boards IRQ conflicts were quite common. What PSU are you running?

15. crowy

crowy Guest

Defu,
    There is a good chance your power supply isn't up to the task.
    If possible,try another one and see if that improves/fixes the problem.