1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

blueyonder broadband

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by andy15, Feb 20, 2005.

1. andy15

andy15 Regular member

I keep getting hacked on mums and mine we have firewals update etc. we tryed to call blueyonde to change ip who won't do it from there end Do you no if its possible and how. Please help. we tryed annomanus proxys but run out every few days and my mum needs me to change it all we need is a new IP address please help on how to do it

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

read the forum rules....no multiposting

3. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

djscoop - where is the original post.....?

Kinda interested in how this pans out, would like to change mine too.

:eek:)

4. andy15

andy15 Regular member

don't no if any1 knows how to do it or not

5. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Well....I have a linksys BEFSR41 router. This router supports MAC address cloning.

I set it to clone a different MAC address, released and renewed DHCP and voila!!! I have a new IP address. Seems that Blueyonder (and others) bind an IP to your MAC address. When you show them a MAC address they have not seen before (and btw you dont need to register them with BY anymore) you get a new IP address.

When you say "hacked" what exactly do you mean. What firewall are you using (not just the windows XP one I hope) Do you have a router?

sorry [bold]djscoop[/bold] for posting in this duplicate thread, but at least I got Andy15 on the right track (I hope)

T

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

its cool, so does blue yonder use dynamic or static IPs, cause everytime you disconnect you get a new IP number with dynamic.

7. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

I guess it depends on your online behaviour. If, like me, you very rarely disconnect then it's static. Until today I had the same IP address for 2 years.

You would have to disconnect for quite some time to have your ip address re-allocated to someone else.

I have a sneaking suspition that, if i reverted back to the old MAC address, I would get my old IP address back. Might test this later.

So.....I guess the answer to your question is static, but not guaranteed to be, if you see what I mean.

8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

well if you don't disconnect, than I guess you can consider it static, but 99% of us out there are dynamic. Having a real static IP is usually a lot more expensive. With my SBC DSL, if I have the router disconnect, and reconnect instantly again, I get a new IP.

9. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

I agree, a static IP address is usually something you only get with a commercial access account. Guess I'm just lucky. But like I said, I'ts not guaranteed. It could change again tomorrow, or I could keep this one for another 2 years.

Who knows

10. andy15

andy15 Regular member

Blueyonders IP his fixed.

Qote)Well....I have a linksys BEFSR41 router. This router supports MAC address cloning.

I set it to clone a different MAC address, released and renewed DHCP and voila!!! I have a new IP address. Seems that Blueyonder (and others) bind an IP to your MAC address. When you show them a MAC address they have not seen before (and btw you dont need to register them with BY anymore) you get a new IP address.

When you say "hacked" what exactly do you mean. What firewall are you using (not just the windows XP one I hope) Do you have a router?

sorry djscoop for posting in this duplicate thread, but at least I got Andy15 on the right track (I hope)(qote)

Yes I do have a router can you. How do you do this I set it to clone a different MAC address, released and renewed DHCP and voila

11. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

What router do you have?

What firewall do you have

What do you mean by hacked

Last edited: Feb 25, 2005
  12. andy15

andy15 Regular member

the router his dlink 604.

Hacked. some person posted my ip all over a site and 1 or 2 ip addresses keep geting in files keep dissapearing.

his it easy to change useing that mac address. how do i get a new mac addess

13. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Instruction on how to clone a MAC address with your router:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/rogers/8+Routers#5069

The following is an extract from the link

[bold]Begin extract[/bold]
    A: Cloning the MAC address will insure that you can connect through your modem in the event that the MAC address, or physical address, of your network card has been registered with your ISP.

Cloning the MAC copies the MAC address of your ethernet card to the WAN port of the DI-704. In other words, it will appear to your ISP will that it is your computer connected to the modem, not the gateway. That is why it is necessary to configure the DI-704 from the same computer that was originally setup with your modem. Otherwise, the gateway may copy the wrong MAC address to the WAN port.

New MAC address will take effective after rebooting! will be displayed and the Clone MAC button will change to a Restore MAC button.

Click the Reboot button, then click OK when prompted to "Reboot right now?". This will take you back to the Device Information page. Click the Logout button and then close your browser.

Step 7 Power down the DI-704. Either turn it off from the power switch, or unplug the AC power cord from the gateway. With the DI-704 turned off, recycle the power on the cable modem. Again, turn it off it has a switch or just unplug it from the wall outlet. Wait 30 seconds and then power up the modem only. Wait until all of the lights on the modem have stabilized. After you are sure that the modem has stabilized, power up the DI-704.

Step 8 At this point you should be able to open your browser and browse the Internet. If you are using special applications through the gateway, you may need to open ports in the Virtual Server or Special Apps configuration menus.

From the Device Information page, click on the Tools menu option at the bottom of screen. This will take you to the Useful Tools menu. Click the Clone MAC button, then click OK when prompted to "Change MAC address right now?".

[bold]End Extract[/bold]

Obviously this process may vary slightly between the different versions of the router. But the approach remains the same. If you want to find the MAC address of your network card (to clone it) do the following (assuming you are running XP)

1)click "programs" then "accessories" the "command prompt" (basicly open a dos prompt)

2)at the prompt type "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes

You will find the MAC address of your network card listed under "physical address".

Good luck....post back when you have tried this.

14. andy15

andy15 Regular member

Hey thanks it worked. If I ever need a new ip address do i reclone the same ip address or what.

thanks for help so far

15. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Glad to hear it worked :eek:)

Hiding your IP address on the internet is a bit of a black art. Rather than have to make changes like this when things go bad, better to make sure they dont go bad in the first place.

Each of us are directly responsible for our own online security. Get your system security sorted out and lets hope you dont have any need to do this again. There are many free firewalls, antivirus programs, anti-spyware programs available. Keeping your self safe is much easier than having to clean and make changes because you were not protected.

Happy surfin!!

T