1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bluray backups appear dark when streamed to ps3

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by scpete26, Sep 24, 2009.

1. scpete26

scpete26 Member

I've made quite a few backups of bluray movies on my pc and when I stream them to my ps3 and watch them on my projector, they are very dark... mostly just in dark scenes it's like all the shadow detail is lost and is replaced by black. Does anyone have any clues as to why this happens??? I'm using anydvdhd and all the other tools like tsmuxer and eac3to, and occasionally bdrebuilder. thanks for any advice!

2. zax808

zax808 Guest

what do you use to encode, ripbot264?

what resolution are you encoding to?

when i encode to 720p at 4GB's they seem to do the same thing, just really dark during night or shadow scenes. but at 1080p its much better, more progressive lines to pick up more detail.

Example here if you wanna check it out:
    removed

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2009
  3. scpete26

scpete26 Member

I usually use bdrebuilder, but sometimes I just demux the audio and remux using the remuxergui or whatever it is... I think it's the worst when I rebuild the whole movie down to 7gb...

4. zax808

zax808 Guest

well i guess that all depends, but if your just streaming over a media server why dont you keep it at full disk rip size?

i know that wouldn't be great for storing, but otherwise i couldn't tell you. if its still looking bad at 7GB's im at a loss... mines look great at 4GB and in 1080p

5. scpete26

scpete26 Member

I do keep it at rip size for all the good movies but for just regular ones that I don't really care about I just take them down to 7gb. Ive only got about 175gb left on my 750gb hard drive so I'll have to start using 4gb pretty soon. The quality is excellent at both, moreso at 7gb, just a little dark in spots.. thanks for your help... I'll just deal with it.

6. itsfine

itsfine Guest

7. peterpuk1

peterpuk1 Member

I have the same problem. All HD videos streamed to my PS3 appear dark when viewed on my Sony HDTV. I usually adjust the picture settings to "Pro" from "Standard" when streaming, which helps slightly, but let me know if you come across any solutions.

8. zax808

zax808 Guest

yha dont think there really is a solution to this. were taking it from anywhere between 25 to 40 GB's and breaking it to under 7 to 4 GB's

thats quite a dramatic decrease in size but like i said. encoding in 1080p really helps this alot. the more progressive lines the more clarity!

9. scpete26

scpete26 Member

That's true, When I first started making backups I didn't believe you could take a 40gb movie and squeeze it onto a dvd. but the loss of quality is hardly noticeable on my 110" screen aside from being darker! I'll just start enjoing the movie and stop nit picking!

10. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

@zax808
    No direct links like that are allowed. So post edited.

edit: typo

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  11. zax808

zax808 Guest

12. binkie7

In that link you gave there were plenty of direct links in it - in fact the one you link to ^ imho clearly is a direct link.
    So in my interpretation it gets edited.
    I really don't see why you need to post the links to begin with.
    Then to promote piracy with linking to a crack for AnyDVD??
    Key words from your new link - AnyDVD AnyDVD HD Crack Key reg Patch
    Come now Crack & key Reg not piracy????
    AnyDVD offers a free trial - link to there site instead.

BTW - if you just post piratebay.com - that's a okay - going deeper into the links isn't.

13. zax808

zax808 Guest

i ain't claiming that it isn't piracy, i just dont see the purpose in holding qualms about it, and acting like torrent site dont exist. for the other thread, the guy was having problems that seemed to be a direct issue with the software, and some full working software was a first start.

and how would i show an example by just posting piratebay.org ???

in the case for this thread that you just edited, i wasn't even suggesting that he download it. was just giving an example of a movie in 1080p at 4BG's for ps3

well, your the Moderator... however you see it i guess

14. binkie7

Last word on the subject so this thread can be back on topic - directly from no. 5
    5. -> PIRACY AND LINKING TO PIRATED MATERIAL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE FROZEN IF YOU DO THIS <-

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  15. zax808

zax808 Guest

:)

16. binkie7

Give it up zax808 now.
    As you point out - Links to sites. A site is one thing your links are clearly direct download links.
    And Yes I know the difference and the rules.

17. zax808

zax808 Guest

specific dosent mean direct.

but your right, were not here to argue about the rules