1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bluray download movie only to dvd 9

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by indyjase, Jul 3, 2008.

1. indyjase

indyjase Member

Having an extensive dvd library already I was thinking about backing up some of the movies to dvd 9 from downloaded bluray movie only and ready to burn in dvd format. 1. Is this OK as I already own the orginal and am just wanting to make a backup of something I already own, and 2 has anyone used and ripped one of these blu only 1080p movies to a dual layer disk and if so is the quaility better than dvd, similar to blu ect....The average size is about 8gb for this type of movie. If anyone has any insights as to how good or whether its worth me backing up standard dvd's that I own. Thanks for you guy's input in advance.....

2. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

YES
    Thatswhat iam doing rightnow
    iripped my bd-movieto hd and the split it and pt ina duallayer dvd
    video-1080p
    audio english only
    it works great
    by the way

surf's up
    ice age-1 and 2
    terminator-3
    fantastic four 1 and 2
    all come 2 dvd duallayer
    no compression nothing

3. indyjase

indyjase Member

fantastic!!! thats what I was thinking too, as there are many dvds that I have, that have already been ripped to 1080p on the net and was going to rip them to a dual layer. rather than repurchasing everything on Bluray. Did you do a side by side comparison.Thanks for the input bud

4. indyjase

indyjase Member

Does anyone have a list out there of blurays that can be ripped with no compression to 1080p

5. indyjase

indyjase Member

djkrishna, thanks for the input, what software did you use to rip them to 1080p...

6. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

i use tsmuxer and my output is ts and then i use ts splitter and also sometimes i use bdhd splitter and split the movie into 7.5 gb-8.0gb
    and i use tsremuxer to remux the video and this time i use bd structure as output

and then burn it by using nero

7. djkrishna

djkrishna Regular member

8. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Actually using Ripbot264 it is possible to put an entire Blu-Ray movie on a dual layer disc. The author of DVD Rebuilder jdobbs said that he was able to backup the movie Apocalypto to type 5 1080P with decent quality. He stated that it was considerably better than a standard DVD. The key is the efficiency of H.264/X.264 encoding.

9. indyjase

indyjase Member

I'll give ripbot a bash and see how I get on thanks everyone for your input....

10. indyjase

indyjase Member

just downloaded ripbot went to add in a file and all I get is I O error....any thoughts guys

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

indyjase

I'm assuming that you've already successfully Ripped the DVD to your hard drive and that you've found the add button Ripbot.

Adding a movie to encode is a little different than what we did with a DVD. Go to your ripped movies folder and open it and anvigate to the folder that says "stream" and then open it. You should see a bunch of M2ts files, search through them until you find the largest one which should be really large and load that one file only. It contains everything that you need to re encode.

12. indyjase

indyjase Member

well I have the files as mkv. and they play fine in vlc but its a nightmare trying to disect them !!!!!what is a good conversion tool any ideas chaps

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

indyjase

You can convert BD to standard siingle or dual layer discs and they will be compatible with BD player. Before you begin your encode you have to select the correct container (blu ray disc). I'm not certain what you mean by dissecting them? When you first get started there is only one file that you need to look for. Rip your disc to your hard drive and once that's done then open the folders where it is stored and locate a folder labeled "stream." Go through all of the files until you find the very largest one and then load just that one file because it contains all of the video and audio streams. Ripbot will then demux everything for a 20 to even 30 minutes. Once that's done then you begin to make all your settings.

I prefer to use 2 pass because it will allow me to set the size for either a single or dual layer disc manually. For instance I set my last size to 4280 megabytes which leaves a little wiggle room to insure that it will fit on a single layer. The single layer is usually for movies that are around 2 hours and 5/10 minutes or less. If they are any longer then I shoot for dual layer. Then you need to check all the other settings that are in different windows. I usually choose 1920 by 1080 and where it says bitrate of 30000 and 30000 I set that to 17500 and 17500. The last step is important because it increases compatibility with standalone plaers. Once your settings are complete minimize and wait until you go to bed and then I hit start. When you wake up the movie is completed or just completed and all is usually done by the time that you have coffee.

To burn the result use imgburn to convert it to an ISO. Imgburn will prompt you that it is changing the file system to UDF, choose yes. Once it is in ISO format you can also mount it and play it before you burn it. If all goes well then burn and enjoy.

14. indyjase

indyjase Member

right , this is where the confusion lies....I am downloading mkv. files, not ripping direct from a bluray, that process has already happened and thus is now converted to mkv. file. When I go to open the file as suggested windows will not open the file as it is already just one file, so the movie is there already and so I dont need to find just the largest stream from a bluray disk. My question is this, what do I do from here? Do I need to convert it to a different type of file for ripbot to read? If so what can I use to convert an mkv.? If not what is the next step? Thanks this is way more taxing than ripping a regular dvd thats for sure but the benefits will be worth it!!! And I am sure that this will help loads of lost souls who are tech proficent just needing a hand in the right direction. I am sure once this is figured out I'll go dough!!!! but in the mean time many thanks...I always like a good puzzle!!!!!

15. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

I haven't tried to convert matroska files using ripbot Because I don't don't download movies, although it is quite possible that it can do it since Ripbot can covert to other containers including matroska. My advice is to give it a try. Tsmuxer can convert matroska to a BD playable format.

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

OK!

Just converted an HD windows media trailer to matroska and then matroska to BD with Ripbot.

17. indyjase

indyjase Member

well the good news is that I am able to get ripbot to accept the file!!!whoo!!!! but I then x'd out of the winrar and ripbot wont let me reinstall the program which was strange as it just showed up without any installing after i opened with winrar.....any ideas as to how to get it back!!!!

18. indyjase

indyjase Member

OK um duh!!! restarted the PC and ripbot is working fine!!!! set up everything and it just dissapeared after normalizing the audio I have Job 1 saved in the temp file but its only 492 bytes and when I tried to restart ripbot application I get a pop up that says Ripbot 264 is still in the memory....now I am confused

19. indyjase

indyjase Member

ok restarted my pc and ripbot appered.... am able to get the audio but not the picture to convert, as soon as the audio converts the program just disappears...there must be a setting somewhere that I am missing?

20. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

There are some settings that you need to attend too. I can't say how they will work with a matroska file because it depends on the file. Here are a couple of recommended ones to start with and ones that I use for both ripped HD DVD and Blu-Ray. I hope that it helps a bit.

Under mode choose 2 pass and then if you look to bottom right you will see lock size. For a single layer disc set a sized that will leave some wiggle room for error such as 4300, and be sure to check Blu-Ray disc. Also to the top right is where you choose audio. I usually choose 5:1 640 kbps or 448 kpbs for single layer to save video space. The choices will differ with movies.Then to the right of 2 pass choose properties and it will give different options such as choosing to keep movie 1920 by 1080 or lower depending if you want 1080P or 720P.

Then where it says HD blu-ray consoles above second from top on the left click the box to the right of the field and it will open another windows. Leave AVC level to 4.1 and to the right of that you will see Buffer size change the 30000 to 17,500 (for matroska you might set it lower to 15,000 each, and for bitrate change the 30,000 to 17,5000. That should be enough settings to get you a movie if I didn't forget something.

The individual parameters of a matroska file can vary a lot so use your imagination when choosing some of the settings.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008