1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BLURRY picture in new NERO 7 - Help Please

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by H_Seldon, Jan 16, 2007.

1. H_Seldon

H_Seldon Member

I have no picture (only blur) with AVI and MPG files in Nero 7. Can anyone help me?
    Until recently I was able to watch both AVI and MPG movies with Nero. Suddenly, a warning dialog box appeared stating that I didn't have authorization to change the settings in Catalyst Control Center (an ATI product), although I wasn't trying to do anything.
    To solve that problem, I tried two methods:
    Undating the Catalyst Control Center from 5.11 to 7.1 didn't work because I received this error message "The file 'ati nvt2.sys' on ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver Disk is needed. So I uninstalled 7.1 and reinstalled 5.11 which I knew worked.
    The second method was to use System Restore to restore back one week. This caused 129 files to be renamed with a (2). Most of these files belonged to unrelated files such as Firefox and Yahoo Widgets. I changed some of these back to their original names including 4 that were in System32, which were wdmaud, kuser, lvcodec2, and lvcoinst. When I kept having problems, I added back into the System32 folder the changed files with (2) in their names. Most of the 129 renamed files, I didn't need to change back, because I uninstalled the programs, such as Yahoo Widgets.
    With problems mounting, I tried to undo the System Restore, which I was not allowed to do. I was also not allowed to do another System Restore.
    While I don't get the warning message saying you are not authorized to change Catayst Control Center settings (that was fixed by the System Restore), I now cannot play any video/movie in Nero 7 (or Media Player Classic). The picture comes on, but is blurry, as if tiled.
    I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling various versions of Nero, including 7.2.3.2b, 7.5 7.0, and 7.5.9.0.
    When I uninstalled Nero, I used the General-Clean Tool, and once I also used SEARCH to delete other folders/files called Ahead or Nero.
    I've used sfc /scannow. I've tried adding K-Lite 2.8.2 Full Codec Pack and XP 2.0.6 Codec Pack. I've used three codec analyzers, and once when Nero 7 was uninstalled, Sherlock Codec Analyser reported that there was a problem (no driver) for the Nero codec called Nero Digital AVC Video ENC, which was resolved when Nero was reinstalled.

Currently I have Nero 7.5.9.0 installed and MPG and AVI movies are blurry in Showtime.
    Media Player Classic is also blurry like Nero 7 Showtime, but not WMP10 which plays these formats fine. (pls don't suggest I use it - I paid for Nero 7)
    I also have Cole2K Media Codec Pack installed.

Do I have to take a desperate measure, such as Repair XP or reinstall XP? I'd be grateful to anyone who can help me diagnose and solve this issue. I'm really at my wits end. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  2. H_Seldon

H_Seldon Member

Stumped everyone in Afterdawn?

I know I can't figure it out and they're absolutely no help at NERO tech support. But I really thought someone in Afterdawn, would know what was happening, why it's happening and how I can fix it.
    Maybe my explanation was too detailed?
    Please someone help me out with this - again thanks.

3. ukuser1

ukuser1 Member

H_Seldon

I think that the first problem of the warning dialog box appearing was caused because you have AUTOMATIC windows update set to ON and Windoze downloaded and installed a later version of the ATI product/driver.

I think it is likely that your uninstall of v7.1 and later reinstall of 5.11 resulted in bits of v7.1 still lying about and in use. I expect the uninstall of v7.1 did NOT clear down the relevant places in the registry.

So you now have a corrupt install of the catalyst suite.

"The file 'atinavt2.sys' on ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver Disk is needed."

Try uninstalling it (I assume now v5.11 and bits of v7.1), then use driver cleaner from driverheaven.net and reinstall catalyst suite.

After this, try off automatic windoze updates and ensure that you never get the drivers for your ATI card from windoze update!!!!

Good luck.

If that doesn't work do you have any on-board graphics adapter? if so try that instead. Do this by disabling your PCI graphics card in your system BIOS and enable the onboard graphics. If the on board graphics + nero showtime + AVI now works OK you will have at least proved the problem lies with the setup and/or drivers of your ATI T200

4. H_Seldon

H_Seldon Member

Thanks ukuser1. I was worried that no one was going to respond at all - and I'd have to search for a more advanced forum (if there is one).

I do not have Windows Automatic Updates turned on. I got the update manually by going directly to the ATI site. I thought it was about time I updated, since new drivers usually have new features, faster processing speed and old bugs fixed.

My mistake was not checking to see if there were any problems with this new Catalyst Suite before installing 7.1, but afterward I found lots of people having the same problem of "The file 'atinavt2.sys' on ATI T200 Unified AVStream Driver Disk is needed.".

What installing 7.1 and reverting back to 5.11 affected I don't know. Whether it is the cause of Nero Showtime (and Media Player Classic) not working (while WMP10 still does), I don't know.

I do not have onboard graphics with my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard.
    I will go to this site you mention - driverheaven.net - uninstall the Catalyst Suite, use the driver cleaner you suggest and then reinstall the v5.11 Catalyst Suite.

I'll try anything at this point. Thanks very much.
    If you (or anyone else) has any other ideas - PLEASE offer them up. I just paid nearly $100 for this Nero 7 a couple of months ago, and now Showtime doesn't work.

It is odd that Media Player Classic no longer works on the same AVI and MPG files that Nero Showtime plays blurry.
    It is odd that Windows Media Player 10 works, and these other two apps don't.
    I wonder if that means anything.

5. ukuser1

ukuser1 Member

Did you try re downloading Catalyst Suite 7.1, and trying to install it again.

If lots of people are having/or had the atinavt2.sys problem surely their technical support can help?

e.g.
    http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894

How about submitting a ticket with AMD customer care asking them about the atinvt2.sys problem.