1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[bold]Building a Computer[/bold]

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ILL-C, Aug 5, 2006.

1. ILL-C

ILL-C Member

I about to start on a second computer and was wondering a few things.I would like some suggestions on parts.
    Who makes the best Motherboards?
    Who makes the best RAM?
    Who makes the best Hard drives?
    Who's graphics are better ATI or NVidia?
    And I'm undecided on what type of processor I want. AMD or Intel. I've been running AMD sence my first comp. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. treezy

treezy Regular member

Wow dont know where to start
    Asus,Gigabyte,DFI,MSI just to name a few for mobo
    Corsair,Geil,Mushkin for ram
    Seagate for hard drives
    Video card its a tie they are both good
    and for processor just stick with AMD
    its hard to narrow it down to just one per each catagory because theres a lot of good companies out there but thats what i would get

Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  3. apolyon

apolyon Member

what kind of budget are you working with? There isn't neccessarily a "best" brand of anything, build the whole system to compliment each other. Asus builds great boards, there A8N series has been getting great reviews if your planning on going with an A64 system. I've always been really happy with giga boards as well.
    For RAM, spend the money on a premium brand, it's definetly worth it. Kingston, Corsair, & Crucial are the brands I swear by, find something with low latencies from one of those manufacturers and you'll be happy. Make sure that if your board/proc support it you get dual channel memory!
    Hard Drives I usually go with Western Digital, but if you can find a better deal on a seagate they've been great to me as well.
    Graphics it depends hugely on what price point your looking at, if we're talking bleeding edge just flip a coin unless you want to run SLI/Crossfire, then the boards available might force your hand one way or the other.
    As for proc, if your a gamer stick with AMD. If your doing video editing or anything that requires alot of rendering, considering switching to Intel, but do some research and get benchmarks on a few different options at the price point your interested in.