1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[bold]Gargantuan[/bold] Read Sector Lengths! Is there a drawback?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by signal1, Mar 23, 2003.

1. signal1

signal1 Member

I'm using CDex. The CD-ROM settings allow you to set whatever read sector length you choose. Default is 26. The manual says a higher readsector length will significantly reduce WAV extraction time - if you have a decent CD-ROM you can set it to 400. I have set it to 20000 successfully but got the fastest times from around 8000 to 10000.

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to do this? It seems like there is much less opportunity for jitter.

2. Pio2001

Pio2001 Moderator Staff Member

I don't know CD ex, but as I understand it, it reads 26 sectors, then overlap the next burst with the previous.
    Isn't there an overlap setting ? It would be like read 26 overlap 3.
    This way it checks for jitter errors every 26 sectors.
    If you increase the number of sectors per read, the program won't check for jitter errors as often.
    But nowadays, drives needing jitter correction are rare. They are detected as not "accurate streamed" by EAC, Feurio can also detect them with it's jitter test.

With a decent drive, you can give up jitter correction, and use burst mode instead (read the whole CD in one pass), that is, if you are not interested by secure ripping (error detection).
    Neither burst mode, nor jitter correction mode detect read errors.
    Plextools and EAC can detect read errors. AccurateRip works differently, it compares the CRC checksum of your rip with other users rips in its database to check that you get the same.