1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[bold]NEED HELP PLEASE ITS DRIVING ME NUTS[/bold]

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by milo3971, Aug 4, 2006.

1. milo3971

milo3971 Member

hey guys, just wondering if u could give me some kind of clue into whats goin on here. i bought a 80sata2 drive a while ago about 6months, and was useing it as a storage drive was to lazy to re-install and lose all my saved profiles and so forth. anyway my ide drive died so i installed windows on the sata drive. it worked fine for a few days then it for no reason starting takeing ages to get past the windows loading screen. or just didnt get past it at all. then it went further and kept coming up with system error screen... i have a k8sli motherboard, amd x2 3800+. as far as i no those to things shouldnt have anything to do with it. but if it helps... thanx milo

2. theridges

theridges Guest

sounds like a windows problem try and re-install windows again from scratch....

3. milo3971

milo3971 Member

yeah i have about 5 times. i dont really no its just quiet irritating

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Well if it has been really hot in your case, your SATA is roasted too. But I mean it either works or it does not - if it has had it, it will pooch-out in diagnostic tests starting with S.M.A.R.T. and further identified with ie. PowerMAXX 4.22 (Maxtor) or whatever diagnostic software your HD manufacturer provides.
    Note: NTFS volumes should run DiskCheck (tools > Error Checking) at least once/month - requires reboot.
    If you even suspect a HD has problems, you must run the full format. Quick format will not detect structure problems until encountered by the OS (not good, too late by then).
    Oh well - good thing HDs are very inexpensive,
    Regards