1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[bold] Nero burn comes up successful...but cd is recognized as blank...any suggestions?[/b]

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Notnert, Aug 30, 2005.

1. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

there was a readme.txt in that file you downloaded -
    - you're gonna need 2 floppy discs from www.bootdisk.com, say a windows 98 boot disk. the 2nd floppy will need to be wiped in order to put the 2 files you mentioned onto. so you boot the pc with the 98 floppy disk, then insert the 2nd disk and run the update.exe from there...

2. Notnert

Notnert Member

ok im an idiot...i found another icon on my desktop titled read me with steps of what to do... heres what it reads...

'Update BIOS Procedure

Step 1:
    Copy aaa.BIN file to C:\>
    Step2:
    Copy Update.EXE file to C:\>
    Step3:
    Please close Windows system and reboot by Dos mode:
    Step4:
    Run Update aaa.BIN file

(Screen will show)
    MSI CD-RW BIOS update program!!!
    1. On Secondary IDE: ATAPI CD-RW 52XMax Master
    0. EXIT
    Please select one to update BIOS: Please choose 1
    Do you want to update Ver. 130D to Ver. xxxD ¡eY!N¡f
    Please choose Y

im stuck on step 3 and 4. what does it mean reboot by dos mode? how do i go about doing it?

3. Notnert

Notnert Member

Ok so I have my two disks ready to go. Both are completely blank and brand new. went to the site you mentioned,www.bootdisk.com,and thats where im stuck at this point. There's so mnay options and im such a noob at this that i dont know which one to pick...lol, you think you could help me out? tell me step by step what to do after that? sorry for wasting so much time...bare with me! :)

4. creaky

5. Notnert

Notnert Member

ok well by looking at the directions and attempting to understand what to do...i can safely say...i have no clue what im doing, lol. i think im just going to give up on tryin to get the burner working...this stuff is way to complicated for a n00b like me to understand

6. creaky

it's not at all, stick with it a while longer...

the reason for the bootdisk route is cus we wouldn't be able to access the firmware files by just rebooting with a boot floppy as we wouldn't be able to access the hard drive that way, if the hard drive was NTFS which i've assumed it is. So we need 2 floppy discs, 1 to boot with, the 2nd would contain the firmware files. So we'd boot with boot floppy, then pop the 2nd floppy in afterwards and run the firmware update from there..

update - i just downloaded the boot image file from that link i posted you before. i double clicked on it to run it, then it asks you to insert a floppy. so it's been designed cleverly enough for you not to worry about the details... (couldn't fully test as my pc is too modern, it hasn't got a floppy drive)..

....so that procedure will create the actual boot floppy in the correct format for you. as to the 2nd disc, you need to copy/paste the firmware files onto that 2nd floppy.....

....then when that's all done, you'd simply restart the computer with the boot floppy in the drive. that's presuming the system is set to boot off floppy, if it's not, we need to perform a few extra steps. see how that goes and we can take it from there...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  7. Notnert

Notnert Member

ok well i didnt get that far in until i ran into problems. i inserted the floopy disc into the drive and clicked on the link you provided me. this then prompts to me to insert floppy like you said. then a little box pops up that says
    Drive A:
    Formatting
    Writing
    Verify
    and a little status bar below it with the percentage of completion. No soone then it does that it comes up with and error box that reads the following:
    Disc error on track 0, head 0
    sector not found
    there are then three little boxes below it that i can choose from. they are abort, retry, and ignore. i tried clicking retry but i once again recieved the same message. so i decided i would click ignore and see what that does. the percentage bar keeps going, but along the way i keep getting the error message which prompts me to choose from the three previous mentioned selections.
    the next error message basically reads the same
    Disc error on track 0, head 1
    sector not found. then it goes to
    disc error on track 0, head 2
    sector not found
    after the head reaches 2, the next error message comes up with the track going up one. so every time the head reaches 2...the track goes up in an incriment of one such as the following
    disc error on track 1, head 0
    sector not found
    disc error 1, track 1
    sector not found
    disc error 1, track 2
    sector not found
    disc error 2, track 0
    sector not found
    and so on and so on and so on...so i was wondering whether or not i should just keep on by pressing the ignore button and see what happens? or whether or not i shouldnt. any idea what this problem might be?

8. creaky

All I can suggest at this point is open the floppy drive and blow out any there might be and try different disks. We gotta get this audio cd of your done somehow!

9. Notnert

Notnert Member

ok i have a quick question...when i first insert a disc and click that link your provided me it says insert floppy and then click okey. so i do. next though, it comes up with a box thats says:
    Error
    Disc and image formats do not match
    do you want reformat it
    yes and then no
    last time i clicked yes. would that be correct or should i press no? and i wudnt have to reformat the disc would i? isnt that what that link does for me too? let me know

10. creaky

I'd say format the disks first, yourself, but sounds like the utility wants to format it's way. Have you tried a different disk ?

11. Notnert

Notnert Member

i have another question to go along with my previous post also. if in insert a disc into the drive, go into my computer, then right click on the floppy disc icon, choose format out of the options a window comes up. at the bottom there format options. each one has a box beside it that i can check and they read the following. one reads "quick format" and the other reads "Creat an MS-DOS startup disc". would selecting the "creat an ms-dos startup disc" help at all in this matter? would that be accomplishing the same thing that were trying to do? you think i should try that a boot from that? is is that something different? let me know if you have any idea

12. creaky

It doesn't matter which method you choose as the utility will do things the way it needs to. I'm just trying to help you establish if the floppy drive/floppy disks are faulty..

Try trial and error until you get somewhere..

13. Notnert

Notnert Member

ok well heres what happened. i copy and pasted those three files of the firmware onto a blank disc. i then tried making the ms-dos disc from the format menu that i just previously mentioned. and i think it actually worked. because heres what happened...i left the disc in the drive and restarted my computer. when it came back up...it had my system configuration all layed out in white lettering with a black background that took up the entire screen...at the bottom ir said "looking for boot from floppy...ok". it did NOT however go into my desktop or anything or load into windows(not sure if its supposed too or not...)so then i thought i had it. so i ejected that disc and put in the floppy with the files on it for the firmware...but it did nothing. it just sat at that same screen. so i ejected the disc and clicked the restart button on the front of my computer. is there anything i might have done wrong? did it do what its supposed to do when you boot from the disc?

14. creaky

Sounds like you're half way there. You need to reboot with the boot floppy, then insert the other floppy and run the update.exe file from the 2nd disc..

15. Notnert

Notnert Member

that is just the problem though that i am having. i do restart with the boot floppy which brings up the prmopt i mentioed. but then when i pop that floppy disc out and pop the other one in that has the firmware on it....it does nothing it just sits and sits and sits and that screen....so i dont knw what the problem is. and i have tried other discs also and still the same

16. Notnert

Notnert Member

any ideas anyone...am i doing somthing wrong?

17. creaky

meant to ask when you used that floppy before, are you not getting to a command prompt ?

18. Notnert

Notnert Member

well right away it comes up with what i mentioned before...it comes up with my system configuration and lists off all my computer attributes...then at the bottom it comes attempting to load from floppy...then after a couple second it will say that followed by "...ok" then after that it doesnt go any further, it sits at that window. so i popped the boot floppy out and tossed in the other one with the firmware files on it but it doesnt have any effect. it still sits at that same screen. what should i do? am i doing somthing wrong? is it suppose to load into windows? because it doesnt...help please

19. creaky

can't you hear the floppy drive doing it's thing as it tries to boot/read files from the disc, ie thant 'scraping' noise is how i describe it...

20. Notnert

Notnert Member

it does for the first dics...the boot disc...but what is it suppose to do after it reads the files from the boot disc? cuz it just sits at the same window...so i try putting the other disc in but it doesnt do absolutely anything...it just sits in the disc drive...what exactally should be happening after the boot disc loads? should it stay at that same window? or is it suppose to open into windows? and when do i insert the other disc?