1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[bold]Possible Bad Chameleon Chip???[/bold]

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by MLCY, Dec 14, 2003.

1. MLCY

MLCY Member

Ok, so I am trying to mod my second xbox and I am running into some problems that make me think that I have a bad Chameleon Mod chip. Let me explain what I have done so far.

* I purchased the Chameleon Mod Chip when I orginally purchased my Matrix Mod chip. I just never installed the Chameleon chip after I got the Matrix chip working.

* I recently purchased the solderless adapter from easybuy2000.com to install Chameleon Mod chip in another xbox.

* The Xbox is a refurbished unit with a manufacture date of 5-23-2003 so I am assuming that it is a ver 1.3 unit

* I have the Matrix Programmer that I am using to put the BIOS on the Chameleon chip.

* The solderless adapter came with the revits.

* The LPC holes do not contain solder.

* I used rubbing alcohol with Q-tips to clean the holes prior to inserting the revits.

* Configured the Chameleon chip with the following Dip Switch settings:

Switch 1: On
    Switch 2-4: Off

Therefore, the Chameleon Chip is configured for two 512MB Memory banks.

* I flashed the Chameleon Chip as follows:
    Bank 0 with the following file EvoxM7_ef.bin
    Bank 1 with the following fiel EvoX_D_6_EjectFix_red.bin

* I am using Xodus Programmer v0.13. It sucessfully writes and verfies both memory banks without any issues or errors. I have tried using the programmer with both 'No Delay' and 'Delay 1'

* I have also tried configuring the Chameleon Chip with Switch 1-4 to off and using the following file: EvoX.D.6.blue.bin. I had the same results

* The blue LED on the Chameleon Chip has never come on.

* I know that everyone says this, but I am pretty sure that I the D0 wire is placed correctly on the xbox motherboard based on the documentation from easybuy2000.com website.

Syptoms:
    ===========
    * When I have the solderless adapter only installed, the xbox boots up normally to the Microsoft dashboard.

* When I install the Chameleon Mod chip on the solderless adapter, the xbox attempts to boot up three times without any video or sound before flashing green/red around the eject button.

* After writing the two BIOSs to the Chameleon chip, I close the Xodus Programmer and re-start it. I then select 'Read' from the 'Module' menu. It goes through and reads both banks of memory. However, it returns the BIOS name as 'Unknown'.

Questions:
    ============
    * Is it normal for Xodus Programmer to return the BIOS name as 'Unknown' as described aboved?

* Based on all the information that I have provided, do you think that the Chameleon chip is bad?

* Is there any additional information that I can provide to help confirm and/or resolve my issue?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg

2. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Check your connections between the adapter and mother and also make sure your plugging the Chameleon chip in the right way onto the adapter.

RustyDog

3. MLCY

MLCY Member

Rusty,

I checked and re-checked the adapter several times. I am pretty sure that they are on there correctly.

Do you have any thoughts on the Blue LED not coming on when its connected to the programmer?

Thanks for you help

Greg

4. GetModded

GetModded Guest

Since the chip programs and veifies then it should be fine.
    Could be a bad adapter, do you have access to another or able to solder the chip in?

RustyDog

5. MLCY

MLCY Member

Ok,

So I took off the solderless adaptor and removed the rivots from holes. I took some more rubbing alcohol and re-cleaned the LPC and D0 areas. Whole I had the rivots out, I took a safety pin and dipped it in the rubbing alcohol to clean the LPC holes.

I then put the rivots and solderless adaptor back on. I have the DIP switches all set to off so it is configured with 4 - 256KB memory banks. I flashed each bank with a colored BIOS.

When I turned on the xbox, I got the same two boots followed by a third boot with flashing red light around the eject button. So I removed the solderless adaptor again and placed a single strand of speaker wire in DO and conected the gold wire to the speaker wire. This corrected the three reboot issue. However, it still loads the Microsoft BIOS and the blue LED on the Chameleon still does not light up.

Any thoughts?

Greg

6. ShadoweX

ShadoweX Member

What BIOS are you booting? I know that the EvoxM7 still says "Microsoft" when it boots. If you use one of the X-ecutor BIOSs then your will get something other than "Microsoft".

I have ran into the three boot issue on several machines and found that unscrewing the chip just enough to nudge it in a certain direction then screwing it down tight... helped me to get it right. If you D0 point is connected properly then it should be working.

Try flashing using a BIOS other than EvoxM7 so you can see the different and know that your chip is working. As for the blue light... I cannot recal howthe EvoxM7 reacts to it but I know the latest X-ecuter BIOS flashes that blue light on mine when the chip is active.

7. richard77

richard77 Member

I saw on some forum, that the early chameleons were not made for the solderless adapter. Don't take my word for it, it's just what i heard.

Richard

8. viajero22

viajero22 Member

HEY I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM DID YOU EVER FIX YOUR AND HOW DID YOU DO IT,

9. gzinga

gzinga Member

i kinda had the same problem till I moved around the adapter and the red light came on...however now everything boots but not red light?? I can see the dashboard and he asks me for eaither a CD or Bios??
    The evolutionX dashboard doesn't seems to be working wither. Any idea?