1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[bold]XP Activation Advice Wanted[/bold]

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by patchted, Jul 27, 2006.

1. patchted

patchted Member

Hi all. I'm wanting some advise please. I have a legal copy of windows which was on my computer and was registered and activated, however my registery got corrupt and my copy of windows has had to be reinstalled. Now I am getting the "Activate this copy of windows" with a time limit on it. My question is - Do I need to and should I Activate this copy again.

2. Morph416

Morph416 Active member

Well, yes. If not your new install will no longer function after 30 days.

3. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You have to activate it.
    [edit]ok, so morph beat me to the answer[/edit]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2006
  4. patchted

patchted Member

Thanks to you both I shall do it now

5. donewell

donewell Regular member

Hi This won't work this time but if you ever have to do it again this works.

Avoid hardware activation: Every time you reinstall Windows XP, you have to phone home to Microsoft to reactivate the OS. Avoid this annoyance by copying the existing hardware signature file that Windows creates from your computer's configuration and pasting it back into the freshly installed version of Windows XP.

Open the C:\Windows\System32 folder in Explorer and copy the files 'wpa.dbl' and 'wpa.bak' to a floppy disk, CD, or other removable medium. At the end of the XP reinstallation, choose not to reactivate Windows. When the reinstallation finishes, reboot your PC in Safe Mode by pressing F8 before Windows launches. Once Windows has opened in Safe Mode, copy the two files over the new versions in the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Note: This works only on the PC where the 'wpa.dbl' file was originally created; it won't bypass Windows XP activation on other computers. And if you made significant hardware changes to your PC before reinstalling Windows XP, you'll probably have to reactivate the OS anyway.
    This is a tip from pcworld.com on how to prepare xp for reinstall.

6. naldo76

naldo76 Member

HI you have installed genuine advantage update you must have auto updates on ,system restore to before you installed this update then turn auto updates off to (dload updates but let me choose what ones to install) and don`t install genuine advantage update again exclude it form list, turn back on auto updates after excluding from dloads next time it want`s to update, and bob`s your father bro :)This happend to me aswell same prob ;)