1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Type Error Message

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by whiskeyfa, Nov 17, 2005.

1. whiskeyfa

whiskeyfa Regular member

I have a DVD Multi-format RW+-/R+- drive made by Pacific Digital a model U-30264.

Specifications

Buffer Size 2 MB
    Device Type DVD±RW (+R double layer) drive
    Enclosure Type Internal
    Interface IDE
    Optical Storage 1 x DVD±RW (+R double layer) - 5.25" x 1/2H
    OS Required Microsoft Windows 2000 SP2, Microsoft Windows XP SP1
    Product Description Pacific Digital Mach 16 - DVD±RW (+R double layer) drive - IDE
    Read Speed 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD)
    Rewrite Speed 24x (CD) / 4x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW)
    Write Speed 48x (CD) / 8x (DVD-R) / 16x (DVD+R) / 2.4x (DVD+R DL)

Everytime I try to burn a disk, either using Nero (v 6) Express, or DVD Shrink, the process fails because (according to Nero) "The drive does not support changing the book type of *** to DVD-ROM." This happens on DVD-R and DVD-RW disks, whether it is data or video.
    How can I turn off the "Change book type" on Nero so it doesn't try this?
    or
    How can I make my drive support changing the book type on these drives?

Please help, after ruining 10 disks I am starting to think I will never be able to burn a DVD video.

2. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

You are getting that message because you are trying to booktype -R media, and that can only be done on +R media. If your drive was one of the ones listed in DVD Decrypter, it has a booktyping feature for specific drives, but i don't think yours is one of them. Try using DVD+R media, and i bet it booktypes to DVD-ROM for you. It should have the booktype box greyed out in nero if you insert -R media, so in some program it is being told to booktype -R media, and that can't be done.

3. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Here is the booktype setting in Decrypter. If you go in Mode ISO Write, it pulls up that screen, and the other screen comes up when you click on the book symbol next to the burn speed. Even then, the drop down options are only for +R media as it knows to not even try to booktype DVD-R -RW.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  4. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Here is where you can change booktype in Nero Express
    [​IMG]
    I would select the one listed physical disk type if you want to burn DVD-R, or you can select automatic, and it is supposed to know what to do depending on disc type. Mine says DVD-ROM as it seems to know to not booktype DVD-R without me telling it. Hope this helps. If anyone has a better/different way, please post.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  5. whiskeyfa

whiskeyfa Regular member

My problem is that I don't want the book type to be changed and it tries to do it anyway. What I want to do, Is disable the book type change so that it doesn't try to change this.

Is that possible on Nero, or using DVD shrink with Nero?

6. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

I think the physical disc type selection shown above will not change the disc booktype. It is supposed to burn it as it is without even trying to change the BT. Automatic will change DVD+R/RW to DVD-ROM and leave -R as is. I am not sure what current recorder settings does other than what it says.

7. whiskeyfa

whiskeyfa Regular member

Okay, good info,
    How about if you are using a DVD Encrypter or DVD Shrink to burn, is there a way to change these options permanently?

I have to decrypt most of the CDs I burn first, so I can't do a direct burn.

8. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

[​IMG] Uncheck that box in shrink, and set nero to physical disc type. Not sure about Decrypter as most ppl want to change booktype to DVD-ROM on +R discs. I think decrypter just goes with the physical disc type if it doesn't have the drive listed in booktyping.
    As to permanent, what is that? Things change all the time. These settings should stay that way until you upgrade to a new version, or re-install the software. I gotta zip off to work. Hope this helps. If Nero continues to give you a problem, post a burn log and we will see what is going on with your system. Just be sure to edit out your serial number when you post the log. If using vers 6 of Nero the burn log can be found in program files>ahead>nero>nerohistory.txt This thing lists quite a few burns, so you only need to post the last one. I don't have vers 7 of nero, but i think it omits the ahead subdirectory. Nero 7 has burn logs also.
    Good luck burning. As it stands now, you should be able to burn a +R disc and it will come out booktyped to DVD-ROM making it compatible with just about any player out there.

9. whiskeyfa

whiskeyfa Regular member

I'll try when I get home from work, if not I will post a log on friday before I pull my hair out that is...

10. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

Here is where the booktyping hides in Nero Recode 2:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  11. MaxBurn

MaxBurn Regular member

You will get it whiskeyfa. We will have you burning like crazy soon. Oh, and welcome to AD if no one has done that, and even if they have :)

12. whiskeyfa

whiskeyfa Regular member

All thanks to you MaxBurn, hope you got my message. This solved my problem!