1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Book Type explain please

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by michael36, Feb 9, 2005.

1. michael36

michael36 Member

On the DVD±R drives forum I ran across the following:

I read the CD Freaks article. Obviously "Book type" is of some importance. Could some one please point me to an explination of Book type and "lead in" that will help me make sense of the topic and fewer coasters at the same time. The CD Freaks article made me a curious newbie.

TIA Michael

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK let me give it a try for ya..

Most home DVD players will identify the so-called Book-Type of a DVD disc once it is inserted into the drive. This Book-Type is present in each DVD disc's physical structure. In total there are 5 relevant settings: DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD+R, DVD+RW. Nowadays most home DVD players can support all mentioned types, but a small number of them can't support all of them.

So in order to be able to playback discs with Book-Types that are not supported by your home DVD player, you can use a DVD Book-Type Setting Tool to change your disc's Book-Type. Not all DVD RW drives are capable of this check your manufacturers website for a firmware upgrade. (Most have this upgrade now)

In general, DVD-ROM Book-Type can be supported by all DVD players.

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Just another little point if you use DVD Shrink It is more than likely already making a book-type DVD for you by default if your drive supports this...

4. michael36

michael36 Member

Cool. Thanks

So to reset the "book type" it takes software in the burn stage or the encoding stage?

The "reset" in the book type in fact over rides a code permanently built into the media during maufacture. Is this correct? I'm guessing this was done to try and control the use of media and prevent it's use for back ups that play like originals????

And this change has to be supported by the burning hardware?

In the Nec 3520 is this automatically supported or does it require a firm ware hack? I'm in the process of buying a burner and seem to be zeroing in on the 3520.

In the Shrink settings there's a reference to MM on the edge of the media to be burned. Is this connected to the "book type"? Or is it something else again that I just don't know about in my newbieness?

Again, TIA Michael