1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

book type setting......not sure

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by wowzers, Nov 26, 2004.

1. wowzers

wowzers Member

Hi gang, I just wanna say that this is the greatest site for info. Okay, here goes.....I am using latest version of nero with a Sony DRU-710A Dual Layer using ritek go4's. I was told to set book type setting to dvd-rom for my burning needs. I have been burning -r and +r media and can't seem to get anything right, lol. I have tested different burn media on different players and get numerous results. I am confused on why some will play a -r media using book type setting dvd-rom while others will not.However if I burn the same media using book type setting "physical disc type" it will play. The same seems to apply with +r media on different players. My question is that I thought the book type setting "dvd-rom" is suppose to be the most compatible with players but some players won't play media using dvd-rom book type. When I burn the same media using the "physical disc" book type setting there is no prob. I am not sure bout this book type setting stuff and how it works. Do some players not accept dvd-rom book type burns? or do I have other issues. Could someone tell me what book type I should be using for burning -r media as well as the book type I should be using for +r media. I hope someone can relate to what I am babbling about. Thanks....Dave

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Dave, welcome to aD,

At one time it was very important but with today's players, even a dirty dinner plate will play.

Here's a super link that will answer all of your questions and many more as DVD's have an interesting history and a neater future -

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#4.3

BTW, You're doing fine, keep right on burning :)

Cheers,

Pete

3. wowzers

wowzers Member

Great.......Thanks Pete and for the link as well.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Any time at all -

I hope you know that you can come here even if you haven't a problem. LQQk around, check out some of the threads - You'll be surprised at the information you can garner.

Information on "tricks" to get your PC humming faster, settings for your programs, new programs, some for free - some for trial that may save you time - warnings on hardware, S/w or media that might head off headaches for you in the future.

You can make friends here, enjoy helping others - Though you may not feel that you know enough now to contribute, reading threads will add to your knowledge base in no time. Head to the "Safety Valve" forum and chat about any topic under the sun OR check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even Cellular phones.

We have a lot to offer -

We'll be lQQking for you -

Me ? Well I'll be over there, behind the water cooler, under the potted Palm, sipping a cool one and answering questions - feel free to stop by and say "Howdy" -

'till then, I'll be Sea'n you -

Pete