1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boot screen

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by skllcandy, Dec 5, 2007.

1. skllcandy

skllcandy Regular member

i downloaded a boot screen to simulate Mac and now i want to get rid of it. how do i do this? i went into the windows/resources/boot folder and i have 4 files. im assuming 2 of them are the ones i downloaded but idk what ones to keep or get rid of.

the names of the files are
    Code 7.bootskin
    ntoskrnlSP
    ntoskrnl
    PirateIII.bootscreen

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Check the dates on them, and delete the newest one.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

First off does'nt the boot screen software your using have a help file that explains how to delete no longer needed bootscreens etc,
    another thing you need to be careful of is whether you need to use that software to reselect "default boot screen" before deletion

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, if a bootscreen is missing windows will probably crash, not just select the default.

5. skllcandy

skllcandy Regular member

well i deleted teh most recent ones but when i restart its the normal xp boot screen but i guess i got a login screen with it too but idk how to get rid of that.

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Go to Control Panel, and click on User Accounts. Then click on "Change the way users log on and off". Put a check in the "Use the Welcome Screen" box. Click on Apply options, get out, and reboot. If it is fixed, that is good.

If, when you boot up, you get a login screen showing more than one user, log in by clicking on your name.

If you haven't created any accounts,for other users, then you should have only 2 accounts. One is you, and the other is Guest. If you have any others, delete them in User Accounts.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  7. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

To add to granpa's post :

If your also using a logon software like LOGON STUDIO from wincustomize it has the ability to delete the skins you don't want thru it's own delete button,or just look in the PROGRAM FILES FOLDERS in DRIVE C it will be either A sub folder in STARDOCK or WINCUSTOMIZE & delete the logons you no longer want,again if you want to delete the program set it to default & use ADD/REMOVE

8. skllcandy

skllcandy Regular member

i used something like wincustimize or something like that and i got rid of it but it didn't remove the boot logins or w/e...i did some searching and found a folder called TGTSoft with a StyleXP folder in it. Inside that there was: boot, cursor, explorer bar, icons, logon and shutdown along with some additional files but no uninstall....do i just delete all of that? oh, the ones i named are folders with files in them, mostly pictures of what the login, boot, etc screens are spose to look like.

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

styleXP is made by another customization crowd, what i would do is google that word go to their site and just make sure deleting the TG & XP folders is safe,the last thing you need is not to be able to boot into windows,failing that & assuming it works use system restore to go back before you put that stuff in,tho nomally it's only the bootscreen software you need worry about as it can stop xp from booting tho it's easily rectified in safe mode,you'd be better off with using bootscreen & logon studio by stardock both are free tho the bootscreen software tends to only work with certain BIOS's as not all BIOS's are compatable & any help you need is readily forth comming,just remember when using any sort of customization software before deleting it always set it back to default xp visual first

10. skllcandy

skllcandy Regular member

what if i was to use the factory cds that i got with it? wouldn't that wipe everything clean includind login and boot screens?

11. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You could do except if your on dialup it'll take ages to re-update everything then you still have to load your extra 3rd party software back in which could take up 3 days to do,you've already dealt too the boot screen software so your past the worst of any real problems,the login you speak of is either the original windows user account screen or the stylexp,so set stylexp to the default xp screen then go into add/remove & uninstall it(if it's already deleted & you can get into xp after clicking on a user icon then just remove any junk it left behind & go back to granpa's post on how to select fast user login which is the 5th post below yours from the top),you could also see if there's an uninstaller in the all programs list of stylexp,any remaining folders & registry entries can be manually deleted like you've been doing.

PS: Don't let stylexp put you off customization as i use objectdesktop from wincustomize including cursorxp & objectdock & login studio,i can't use bootscreen as my BIOS is not compatable with it grrrrrr

12. skllcandy

skllcandy Regular member

i removed the stylexp folder and everything but the login is the same...

13. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Do what granpa posted earlier listed below

1-Go to Control Panel, and click on User Accounts. Then click on "Change the way users log on and off". Put a check in the "Use the Welcome Screen" box. Click on Apply options, get out, and reboot. If it is fixed that is good,

2- If when you boot up, you get a login screen showing more than one user, log in by clicking on your name. Then go back to user accounts & disable any user accounts & try rebooting,this s assuming there is no 3rd party login software installed,

3- If you haven't created any accounts,for other users, then you should have only 2 accounts. One is you, and the other is Guest. If you have any others, delete them in User Accounts.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  14. griffoone

griffoone Guest

this way should do it but be carefull not to delete the wrong one

CLICK: Start, Control panel, System, Advanced Tab.

In Started And recovery click Settings

In system startup click Edit This will bring up a Boot notepad under (bootloader) delete the Mac bootscreen if its there and make sure you have

[boot loader]
    timeout=3
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /SOS
    C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

15. skllcandy

skllcandy Regular member

i did/have that. its still there...ill just use the cds i got with it to wipe it off..not a prob to me. plan on selling the laptop neways

16. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Yeah selling it is a different story mainly so the next person does'nt get any private info it's always best to reformat,when your doing it don't give it any identifying info like your name just click next & leave that area blank

@ griffoone & for future reference:
    skllcandy installed a customization software called stylexp it lets you change certain aspects of your OS including cursors,icons,taskbar & window borders etc,it would also appear to include a bootscreen software that lets you select basicly a different boot wallpaper tho i'm more familiar
    with this one in the link which is from wincustomize,in essence the software does'nt change the boot.ini which is what your refering too, the two are totally different things & are not related,the boot.ini is for adding another line for selecting another OS that maybe installed & nothing more. http://www.wincustomize.com/skins.aspx?libid=32

EDIT: fixed link

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007